Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 79 honda cb400ti and i cant keep it running. there is fresh gas. electrical system is sound. i put my hand over one of the two carbs to see if there was suction and when i did this it fired. i put new filters on and it wont fire.

there is a tube that vents air from the engine head. does this have anything to do with my carb problem?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
What you explain sounds like a plugged up dirty carb.

It sounds like the jets are plugged or I guess your floats could be set horribly wrong or stuck, did you visually inspect the jets to make sure they are clear? I have been surprised in the past by clean looking on the outside jets could be plugged inside. If your tank is rusty the fine rust particles can plug the jets.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
When you say you put new filters on, are you talking stock airbox filter or pods? You will probably need to re-jet the carbs if it's pods (covering the carb and the bike firing up is the clue for you)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by hillsy

When you say you put new filters on, are you talking stock airbox filter or pods? You will probably need to re-jet the carbs if it's pods (covering the carb and the bike firing up is the clue for you)
i have switched to pods. re jetting sounds like a plan. thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
with full choke it fires a couple of times. no choke no fire. i am going to tear into the carb this weekend. school work got be locked down this week

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
with full choke it fires a couple of times. no choke no fire. i am going to tear into the carb this weekend. school work got be locked down this week

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
as requested, bio complete. tore myself away from writing some lame essay to just wipe out the valve on the carb. lots of carbon and crap so there was nothing was sliding as needed. ran pretty good for about 5min till i shut it down. need fab up a seat and rearsets and it should be go to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
as requested, bio complete. tore myself away from writing some lame essay to just wipe out the valve on the carb. lots of carbon and crap so there was nothing was sliding as needed. ran pretty good for about 5min till i shut it down. need fab up a seat and rearsets and it should be go to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts