Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the engine side covers and tappet adjuster caps are in need of a redo on the 78' SR500..
question I have is there another way to recreate the fine sanded directional surface other than a full polish and then apply 1500 wet or dry to recreate the satin grained surface? Pieces I have done look great yet know the right hand cover is going to be a bitch...

how did Yami do it? Pretty labor intensive!!!

Surely they did not have a group of asian grandmothers sanding these by hand and then sent off to seal them with clear.....

Damn my fingers hurt!!!!!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
probably linished with 400~600 grit?
Possibly coarser but use brown compo?
You can also get emery to glue to sisal wheels and use polishing machine

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
probably linished with 400~600 grit?
Possibly coarser but use brown compo?
You can also get emery to glue to sisal wheels and use polishing machine

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do trust that I am using machines where ever possible ( multi wheels and dremels), yet the lines are a bitch as you canot deviate the direction in anyway or it will show (thus by hand, slow and safe..) 1500 wet or dry leaves a nice satin looking reflection and desired fine line's after a light polish..Figure to polish out the large cover clean and blemish free, then make specific shaped sanding blocks to get into those crany area's...(thinking this how yami had to do it to get it done as well as they did...)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do trust that I am using machines where ever possible ( multi wheels and dremels), yet the lines are a bitch as you canot deviate the direction in anyway or it will show (thus by hand, slow and safe..) 1500 wet or dry leaves a nice satin looking reflection and desired fine line's after a light polish..Figure to polish out the large cover clean and blemish free, then make specific shaped sanding blocks to get into those crany area's...(thinking this how yami had to do it to get it done as well as they did...)

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
They look really nice painted black, like the XT motor

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread. Because I just joined this forum I can't email a member yet. So I did the next best thing to see if the
kenessex on here is my old friend from WERA racing days.

This is Howard who raced the GPz305 with Dave in the endurance races at Blackhawk/Grattan/St. Louis/RA and also worked on Gary & Ed's bikes.
If it's the kenessex I know, you'll know who Gary and Ed are:D

Anyway if it's you, HI!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread. Because I just joined this forum I can't email a member yet. So I did the next best thing to see if the
kenessex on here is my old friend from WERA racing days.

This is Howard who raced the GPz305 with Dave in the endurance races at Blackhawk/Grattan/St. Louis/RA and also worked on Gary & Ed's bikes.
If it's the kenessex I know, you'll know who Gary and Ed are:D

Anyway if it's you, HI!!

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Hi Howard,
Hey Guys, it's The Howard Spitzen and he is cool, so be nice to him, he's a racer. How's Joyce? I have been racing some at Blackhawk the last couple of years, pitting with Ed as usual in turn 4. I have an SV for next year. Let's get together. We still have a place in WI that we go to in the summers. My e-mail is kenessex at aol dot com.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Hi Howard,
Hey Guys, it's The Howard Spitzen and he is cool, so be nice to him, he's a racer. How's Joyce? I have been racing some at Blackhawk the last couple of years, pitting with Ed as usual in turn 4. I have an SV for next year. Let's get together. We still have a place in WI that we go to in the summers. My e-mail is kenessex at aol dot com.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Tonnystark

I'd bead blast if possible.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts

I'd bead blast if possible.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IMHO bead blast would be way too abrasive!!!!...As I am trying to keep or replicate the original machined surfaces and textures ,anythiung that would 'frost' would damage further what Yamaha intended.. I did roll #2 steel wool into 1/4 inch balls and used various sizes of hard wood dowel to apply pressure to clean the old clear off.. then using a hole punch, popped out a bunch of "dot's" from 1000 grit wet or dry and then using the same wood dowels, duplicated the proper directional scratches into the clutch side cover's tight nooks and sharp corners...

Industrial and gun bore cleaning brushes are being used thru out this effort, primarily all being brass brushes with plenty of spray oil, works real well ..

3m' should make Scotch bright Q-tips on wooden dowels so I dont have to make my own..:)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IMHO bead blast would be way too abrasive!!!!...As I am trying to keep or replicate the original machined surfaces and textures ,anythiung that would 'frost' would damage further what Yamaha intended.. I did roll #2 steel wool into 1/4 inch balls and used various sizes of hard wood dowel to apply pressure to clean the old clear off.. then using a hole punch, popped out a bunch of "dot's" from 1000 grit wet or dry and then using the same wood dowels, duplicated the proper directional scratches into the clutch side cover's tight nooks and sharp corners...

Industrial and gun bore cleaning brushes are being used thru out this effort, primarily all being brass brushes with plenty of spray oil, works real well ..

3m' should make Scotch bright Q-tips on wooden dowels so I dont have to make my own..:)

·
Registered
6,587 Posts

....I did roll #2 steel wool into 1/4 inch balls and used various sizes of hard wood dowel to apply pressure to clean the old clear off.. then using a hole punch, popped out a bunch of "dot's" from 1000 grit wet or dry and then using the same wood dowels, duplicated the proper directional scratches into the clutch side cover's tight nooks and sharp corners...
Dude - you got too much time on your hands.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts

....I did roll #2 steel wool into 1/4 inch balls and used various sizes of hard wood dowel to apply pressure to clean the old clear off.. then using a hole punch, popped out a bunch of "dot's" from 1000 grit wet or dry and then using the same wood dowels, duplicated the proper directional scratches into the clutch side cover's tight nooks and sharp corners...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
quote:Originally posted by hillsy

HA,HA,HA,HA Being single I can do what and when I want.. bike is in the spare bedroom , on a stand sitting on a painting tarp ..I have wanted to redo this for a while now!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
quote:Originally posted by hillsy

HA,HA,HA,HA Being single I can do what and when I want.. bike is in the spare bedroom , on a stand sitting on a painting tarp ..I have wanted to redo this for a while now!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts