Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to remove my Spedo/tach..which also has the milage counter.

Is this legal? Will I pass inspection next year?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
what do the inspection nazis inspect for wherever it is that you live?

here? I don't even run mirrors on several of my bikes and nobody inspects my bikes.

I think the last time I was pulled over because I didn't run, the plowboy cop was going to give me a ticket for a dim headlight but then

starting looking the old bike over and said "oh that's got a magneto and no battery huh?"

and he let me go

he could have easily written me several non-moving violation citations

straight pipes, no mirrors, vertical tag, non-dot head and tail lights, no brake light, maybe even a loose nut holding the bars citation too

I'd have just paid them and not changed a thing

on a tangent, I've never, in over 25 years of riding, had a cop attempt to pull me over while I was riding a bike in the rain, snow, or at temps below 40 degrees

no matter what I was doing

strip that bike naked

·
Registered
854 Posts
well i am from WI, but i know that our requirements enforce at least one mirror, turn signals, Speedo, and some other little stuff. you could change Speedo and not have to worry about the odometer. just make sure to note when you resell it that odometer does not reflect actual mileage.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Fill out your bio and tell us what state you live in. It depends upon the state.

In NYS it is not required. Here is a general guide to what is required on a motorcycle to have it pass inspection.

http://www.nysdmv.com/mcmanual/mclicenses.htm

I once had a punk ass shop that tried to "fail" my inspection because I have after markent rear turn signals on the bike that they said were not DMV approved and tried to sell me a set. I pulled out the regulations and told them that my bike was older then 1985 and the "or" in the regulations says I don't need turn signals at all; therefore, I was going above and beyond the regs and to pass the dam bike so I could be on my way. He did. Moral of the story is even if the regulations say you don't need it, the yahoo inspecting your bike may be clueless...so bring a copy of the regs with you.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Check this out.
http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp
This was one site I found but some things were differnet from another site I found like WI didn't require turn signals and that it needed a speedo. I say if you don't drive like an ass then your pretty safe on not getting pulled over and having the heat giving you heat about what your bike is missing or what's illegal. My bike only has a headlight and brake light and one mirror and it's not even on the correct side but I never even got a eye raised by The Man. Hell and even the brake light isn't a three way bulb so it's only lit when it's activate.

·
Registered
854 Posts
so did i read that in WI lane splitting is not illegal? hmm...looks like my work commute has just been shortened by 20 min then!

·
Registered
18 Posts
take those bitches off man! if the po-po's can even see you have no tach or speedo you're going too slow! plus they only really look to see if you have legit tags.

·
Registered
18 Posts
take those bitches off man! if the po-po's can even see you have no tach or speedo you're going too slow! plus they only really look to see if you have legit tags.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You can also look for the technical verbage if you look in your state's legislation site and do a search. That shit is so confusing though.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You can also look for the technical verbage if you look in your state's legislation site and do a search. That shit is so confusing though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts