Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this old HD on ebay....local to me and was wondering if it was worth the 4K. It dosen't run but I don't know old sportster values. There seems to be a lot of old sportsters or sportster talk going on here and I might want to jump on the band wagon.

Harley Davidson Sportster | eBay

Attachments

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I would say its questionable. I mean if everything is there and all it takes is a few hours of assembly, then a it might be worth $4k. Well maybe $4k is a bit much for something that is not a sure thing. I'd throw $2k at it, but tha's just me

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
I see how someone could pay $4000 for that.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
it's a 60's ironhead so right off the bat maybe. For some reason the 60's IHs have been going up in price, esp if they are unique models, moistly complete originals, or really good looking. People just pay more for the magneto models.

That is the XLH touring model. that Turtle tank? it's almost 4 gallons and by itself it can sell for between $500-$1000 depending on shape (the $1000 one I saw was NOS, the $160 one I own has a badly patched hole in the top).

Other than the bars and clamp (single piece instead of the stock two piece), the gauges (missing), the pipes (standard sporty chopper garbage), the seat (sportster specialties repop K-model seat on aftermarket springs), the shocks (missing the shrouds), the paint (stock colors for 1965 are really interesting), disc brake front end (off a 1973-75 ironhead sporty) and the carb/aircleaner (S&S) it looks to be a complete stock bike. To be fair some of those things are just upgrades you would make anyway to make the bike more rideable (disc brake, carb, shocks), and some things are easily correctable (stock gauges are cheap and plentiful, progressive sells repop shock shrouds). the hardest part would be the front end headlight shroud since those are NLA and expensive when you find them. The huge tank makes the bike a lot more useable.

The question is how badly do you want it? If it were me I would try to get it in the $3200-$3500 range and do some of the more interesting mods because I like vintage hot rods. Things like a dual seat, alloy fender braces, speedster bars, etc. Make it look like stock from far away but up close it's a custom. For reference stock looks like this:
factory photo:
harley_davidson_xlh_1965-11659.jpg

dual seat:

solo seat:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Assuming the engine is in good shape (and that's a big assumption), yes, it's probably worth $4000. Wrong front end, as Geeto67 said, but other than some aftermarket bolt-on parts, it's close enough to stock to turn it back into a fairly original bike.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
if you want to see what nostalgic sportster dreams are made of:

149173492_large.v1454332445.jpg

Some japanese custom house is building these - it's an XR1000 engine punched out to 1300ccs and the bike is dressed like a stock 1960's XLH touring. Damn the Japanese for being better at American culture than Americans sometimes. There is this one and a beige one that have been built but I don't read japanese and that is all I can make out. Too fine!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
That does not surprise me. 1950's American greaser culture is big over in Japan right now. So why not do a Sportster better than we do one?

japan-rockabilly-scene.jpg

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
That does not surprise me. 1950's American greaser culture is big over in Japan right now. So why not do a Sportster better than we do one?

View attachment 21745
It's been big in japan since the 1980's.

I used to get japanese custom culture mags from this art shop on long island. If we do it here, there is a japanese shop doing it better over there. Lowriders, choppers, lead sleds, 1960's style show car hot rods, you name it.

case in point:
Paradise-Road-Galaxian-7-copy-1200x800.jpg

japan-14.jpg

8190_fave_bike.jpg

·
Registered
210 Posts
if you want to see what nostalgic sportster dreams are made of:

View attachment 21737

Some japanese custom house is building these - it's an XR1000 engine punched out to 1300ccs and the bike is dressed like a stock 1960's XLH touring. Damn the Japanese for being better at American culture than Americans sometimes. There is this one and a beige one that have been built but I don't read japanese and that is all I can make out. Too fine!
I'm not sure exactly what that is, but I don't think it's an XR1000 engine. Looks more like an Evo bottom end with modified heads of some sort, maybe Sundance.

·
Registered
210 Posts
what makes you say that?

Looks right to me:
View attachment 21785
The cases are later Evo - look at the lifter guides. Ironheads, the XR1000, and the first generation Evos had removable lifter guides that bolted into the crankcase. The second generation Evo had a non-replaceable guides machined into a raised boss on the crankcase, like the one you pictured. Maybe it's a dual-carb conversion using two front heads, or like I said before, a modified Sundance top end. The fins on the heads are wrong and the rocker boxes don't look the same as an XR to me - I'm guessing they are fakes like these...

Sportster Rocker Covers XR - EMD / Esteves Motorcycles Design

I'd like to see a pic of the other side of the bike, though...

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
The cases are later Evo - look at the lifter guides. Ironheads, the XR1000, and the first generation Evos had removable lifter guides that bolted into the crankcase. The second generation Evo had a non-replaceable guides machined into a raised boss on the crankcase, like the one you pictured. Maybe it's a dual-carb conversion using two front heads, or like I said before, a modified Sundance top end. The fins on the heads are wrong and the rocker boxes don't look the same as an XR to me - I'm guessing they are fakes like these...

Sportster Rocker Covers XR - EMD / Esteves Motorcycles Design

I'd like to see a pic of the other side of the bike, though...
I see

what you are saying now about the lifter guides. you may be right. As I said all info I had was in japanese.

didn't even know those fake XR rocker boxes existed. too bad they don't have them for ironheads.

·
Registered
210 Posts
At those prices, I don't think I'd bite. Anyway, an Ironhead is cool enough just being an Ironhead. No need to pretend it's something else...ha ha

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
At those prices, I don't think I'd bite. Anyway, an Ironhead is cool enough just being an Ironhead. No need to pretend it's something else...ha ha
true, but if I ever got around do doing the dual carb conversion it would be a nice touch.

- - - Updated - - -

true, but if I ever got around do doing the dual carb conversion it would be a nice touch.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Have you seen any of the bikes Sundance builds in Japan? They make XR replica top ends for Evo Sportsters, and do some nice builds, too.

They even put a 600cc XR-style top end on a Buell Blast engine...

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
might be the same shop then that did the "XRH" I posted above. I rememebr seeing sundance's work in cycle world in the early 2000s where they had a rigid replica frame that was actually a softtail. the swingarm tubes actually moved inside the frame tubes so when it was sitting it just looked like a cast pipe joint. It is amazing work for sure.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Have you seen any of the bikes Sundance builds in Japan? They make XR replica top ends for Evo Sportsters, and do some nice builds, too.

They even put a 600cc XR-style top end on a Buell Blast engine...
I... I need this in my life

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
it's an XLCR replica with their XR top end. You could fake it pretty well with a post 1980 ironhead or evo sporty, there was another thread where we talked about XLCR bodywork for evo bikes.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts