Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
it's an XLCR replica with their XR top end. You could fake it pretty well with a post 1980 ironhead or evo sporty, there was another thread where we talked about XLCR bodywork for evo bikes.
Will you cut it out? I barely have enough time to work on and ride the Buell and you have me looking at craigslist for old ironheads. I had finally decided to just dedicate my time to the Lightning.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Right? Sometimes it's hard to get on this forum, see all these amazing bikes that I want to own, then walk away knowing I cant have them...yet

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Right? Sometimes it's hard to get on this forum, see all these amazing bikes that I want to own, then walk away knowing I cant have them...yet
that's how I feel looking at the classifieds for bevel heaven.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Or, you could just pick up a used XR1000 and some XLCR bodywork and combine the two. Easy, right?...:confused:

Or, just fit an Ironhead with some different bodywork and some go-fast stuff...

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I dont care for the exhaust or rear tire on the one with the checkerd flag. that other one is beautiful though. But why always black? There are other colors for fuck sake

·
Registered
224 Posts
I dont care for the exhaust or rear tire on the one with the checkerd flag. that other one is beautiful though. But why always black? There are other colors for fuck sake
The XLCR was the blackest bike you could get.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The XLCR was the blackest bike you could get.
Oh I see, so it was a part of the model, makes sense. So it would be sacrilege to paint it a different color lol

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
none more black.....

So that kind of brings up an interesting point we sometimes talk about...future classics or how not to get priced out of the hobby. A lot of us bought bikes when there were just couple hundred dollar piles and then they appreciated into classics. If you really think about the qualities of what you like in a bike, and it is something other than a UJM, there are some really interesting bikes for not a lot of money in the post 1970's era. Superbikes are a great example. CB1100Fs took a big jump a couple of years ago but you can still find beater ones for $1500. GS1100s are still completely undervalued, Z1s are up there but the KZ1000 isn't really making a lot of headway yet. early monsters if ytou can find them are still cheap, as are tonti framed guzzi crusiers. sure it's not an authentic 1950's triton but it's still interesting.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks guys for the help.

I'm going to shoot him an email .

My math is this.......if I could get it for $3500......I'm going to assume it may take another $1500 to get it up to speed and running. This would get me a runner. Then if I wanted to make things look pretty , that could be another $5000 for powder coating, paint, aluminum restoration, re chroming, correcting things, etc. So then the question becomes......is this worth potentially 10K?

Right now though I would just like a solid, reliable, predictable and safe runner. I saw kenessex deal and that looks nice. But this old girl has an authentic, classic look to it and that is appealing to me.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have seen guys ask $10k for perfectly restored Sportsters before so it's not unheard of. I just think a perfect stock restoration for these bikes is very difficult because the stock exhaust and headlight shrouds are unobtainium. Also you would have to run a tillitson carb and they are hard to start.

I think the better route is to get it for as cheap as you can, get it to run, polish what's there, maybe add some interesting old school hot rod stuff like pin striping and some vintage cast finned pieces, and get $5k out of it when you sell.

The market for Sportsters are weird. It's the cheapest Harley so there are tons of guys looking for a deal or a cheap chopper, but $10k puts you into shovelhead money so the market for perfectly restored bikes is small. The sweet spot is the hot rod guys who want a vintage bike that looks vintage, is clean, is useable, and is right around $4-6k just shy of nice vintage big twin money.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I'd just buy it and fix it up to ride. I have my doubts as to whether you could turn a profit at a $3500 entry price. That turtle tank is my favorite tank I've seen on a sportster, if I ever got a Harley, even.a newer one, I'd like to chase that early standard bike look rather than the current trend of tiny gas tanks and stupid tall handlebars.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have seen guys ask $10k for perfectly restored Sportsters before so it's not unheard of. I just think a perfect stock restoration for these bikes is very difficult because the stock exhaust and headlight shrouds are unobtainium. Also you would have to run a tillitson carb and they are hard to start.

I think the better route is to get it for as cheap as you can, get it to run, polish what's there, maybe add some interesting old school hot rod stuff like pin striping and some vintage cast finned pieces, and get $5k out of it when you sell.

The market for Sportsters are weird. It's the cheapest Harley so there are tons of guys looking for a deal or a cheap chopper, but $10k puts you into shovelhead money so the market for perfectly restored bikes is small. The sweet spot is the hot rod guys who want a vintage bike that looks vintage, is clean, is useable, and is right around $4-6k just shy of nice vintage big twin money.
Sound advice......thank you.

I'm with you 86......I love the standard look.

It's about 5:45 am here and I got to head to work but he will do $3000. We are working out of town so I won't be able to really see it and pick it up til Sunday. Only about 90 miles away but I feel this could wait. I'm going to get up close and personal with it and see if things look promising.

image.jpg

·
Registered
560 Posts
I started on mini bikes and trail cruisers.. but a used XLCH was my first real street bike in college. It was my primary transportation. kinda.

My sportster leaked, rattled and was a challenge for a stoned skinny hippy to kick over on a cold day (below 80f)
About the time I dumped it for a triumph with electric start (maybe '73 or '74 ).. used pre- '69's were selling for the price of a brand new AMF Sportster.

someday , I will own another old iron head . I don't think there is any risk if bought well

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
$3K is a pretty good price considering the gamble for that bike. Make sure the engine numbers match the title, there shouldn't be any frame numbers on the bike since it is pre -1971 but look for them anyway - because if it does then the frame has been swapped. Frame number would be on the right side down tube just below the neck - you don't want to see one. Turn it over and listen for any weird noises, an ironhead with a bad bottom end will sound like a threshing machine when running.

The nice part about an Ironhead sportster engine is that it's a pushrod engine from the 1950's with gear driven cams and everything is available and fairly inexpensive. You can even get new flywheels and if for some reason you needed everything I have seen stroker kits that have everything from flywheels to head gaskets (including the pistons and crank pins) for $1000. The bad part about ironheads is that the quality control was so poor on the bike the likelihood it stopped being used due to a part failure or factory defect is higher than other bikes.

There was an Endurance trials version of the XLR that used a turtle tank in case you are looking for a racing bike to ape:

21 - 40 of 66 Posts