Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
I would say no, that bike is not worth $4K. But I believe the seller is asking the right price to get $3k for it. Not running always brings up lots of questions as to why. I bought my 62 XLCH in 1975 for $1000, actually my girlfriend bought it for my birthday present. In todays dollars that would be $4400. But mine was a full stock, running bike. When I started to build it as a road racer the first thing to go was the Peanut tank to opt for the "H" tank, I didn't want to keep stopping for gas. Don't know whatever happened to that tank but know that they are few and far between finding one. Even more rare and made of unobtainium unobtanium is this fairing.

I still to this day say that H-D should have put the XR1000 motor into the XLCR chassis and it would have sold better than either of the 2.

No, you will never get a ROI if you have $10k in that thing when you're done, unless it is a completely original piece and as mentioned, they have some junk on them if they are original.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I've never heard of an orange XLCR from the factory. I thought they were all black.
Me too, but you never know - there wasn't exactly good record keeping back then. Even the prototype is much different from the production models. Remember it's a looks only bike - Dick O'Brien didn't give Willie access to the race department when he was building the prototype so he built the frame from sight - the geometry is all off and they don't handle nearly as well as they look.

Ironheads are like tinker toys - unless you have a nice clean original one paint it whatever color you want and dress it however. It's not like someone's going to tell you it's wrong (unless you are trying to say it is 100% stock, then they will).

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Check this out, 1975 XR750 in marginal but complete condition and the guy only wants 50,000$ canadian for it :rolleyes:

He also wants to be married to Amber Heard, but neither of those will happen. Bikes like his are worth $20k-$30K at best unless it has provenance with a winning named rider, which I doubt it has.

Last Dec. in Norwood, Calif. this 1980 model got to $19,600 in bidding on a $30,500 BIN:

And this 75 model on Long Island in July last year only bid to $12,099 and did not meet reserve.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I've always kinda sorta wanted a 1962 Sportster, for no other reason than it's the year I was born. Looked at a first year Sportster a few years ago but it was in boxes and too far gone (some of the aluminum had been chromed, etc).

I've never even taken the time to try to find one so not all that serious, but if one came up with the right price at the right time I'd be tempted.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Born in 62?

You old!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I've always kinda sorta wanted a 1962 Sportster, for no other reason than it's the year I was born. Looked at a first year Sportster a few years ago but it was in boxes and too far gone (some of the aluminum had been chromed, etc).

I've never even taken the time to try to find one so not all that serious, but if one came up with the right price at the right time I'd be tempted.
I get that, I want an 81' Sporty for the same reason lol

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Wait, who's music sucks? I may be getting older, but I got to see all the really good bands.:cool:
And my generation brought us Grunge... for that I am sorry

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Ok.....I may not be able to see it til Monday or Tuesday as this project we are working on keeps changing.

But I want to ask since its top of mind........I can now see some stuff is different compared to Geetos picture of stock looking ones but a question on the frame....... If the frame does have numbers on it and it is post 71 frame..........is the deal still a good deal or is it a pass? I love how the bike sits now.......it's gorgeously classic and i have no intentions on changing/molesting it.

I honestly don't know if it is or isn't and am going to shoot him an email now to update him on my change in schedule but was just wondering.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Upon reading the whole listing and seeing the pics I would say it might be worth it, but I would negotiate from there for the fact that it doesn't run. It has wrong parts on it so no survivor points, it is just thrown together for what you see. it will need to be completely disassembled and built. I'd be happy if I could get it for $3k.
I saw the listing had ended so I contacted the seller. He said it hadn't sold but he was taking to someone. If that's you Knappy you have bargaining room because he didn't make it sound like anyone else was interested. It was an estate sale find, so figure he paid half what he's asking and should be happy to make a grand off you.
Good Luck

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
It has wrong parts on it so no survivor points, it is just thrown together for what you see.
It has plenty of survivor parts, or at least year and model specific correct parts on it, they just don't happen to be the front end or any of the other stuff I listed.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
It has plenty of survivor parts, or at least year and model specific correct parts on it, they just don't happen to be the front end or any of the other stuff I listed.
I agree, it's just not an original survivor. The tank is getting extremely rare. Don't know whatever happened to mine. I bet it's sitting right next to my old fairing.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts