Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the CM250 Custom up and running! The bowl just wasn't getting filled with gas, so I filled it up halfway and then I guess the fuel just got vaccumed down into the float bowl. Wow, I feel stupid for not noticing that before. Thanks for all the help so far.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:What's one thing about the CM that you have noticed so far that dislike the most?
that it is a CM

I swear I kill me.

the CM 400 and CM 250s are drastically different bikes that share only a prefix.

I hate to get down on anybody's bike (ok...maybe I don't really hate it) but the CM hondas from the 70's and 80's are the roaches of the motorcycle world. If there was any bike that was more the epitome of slow UJM it would be a CM painted a different color. When all the good bikes are snatched up these things will still be out there running around and nobody will want them.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
They're just slow compared to the other stuff Honda makes - don't sweat it, parts for them are readily available, since they go so cheap. Ride it. If you like it then it's all good.

EDIT: Put it this way - if somebody gave me one, I'd ride the shit out of it. If any of you have running CM400's that you don't want (and are near Pittsburgh, PA), email me and I'll be happy to take them off your hands.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing that I hate most about my CM is that Geet has to be a dick about me having one. But all in all, I haven't really had a chance to ride it that much. I'm still in the tuning up stage to make sure it's safe to ride. Still need to change the motor and fork oils and give all the cables a lube so they snap back a bit better.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
ha! we got a live one here peoples!!

he doesnt hate cm400's, he just hates its not a cb750. or gt550.

thats good for geet though. keep him swimmin in the live well for a bit. he likes the challenge. and it provides fun readin for us!

i do hear they are pretty indestructible little bikes. albeit a little ugly.

jc

quote:Originally posted by Bellagio

The thing that I hate most about my CM is that Geet has to be a dick about me having one. But all in all, I haven't really had a chance to ride it that much. I'm still in the tuning up stage to make sure it's safe to ride. Still need to change the motor and fork oils and give all the cables a lube so they snap back a bit better.

·
Registered
326 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

quote:What's one thing about the CM that you have noticed so far that dislike the most?
that it is a CM

I swear I kill me.

the CM 400 and CM 250s are drastically different bikes that share only a prefix.

I hate to get down on anybody's bike (ok...maybe I don't really hate it) but the CM hondas from the 70's and 80's are the roaches of the motorcycle world. If there was any bike that was more the epitome of slow UJM it would be a CM painted a different color. When all the good bikes are snatched up these things will still be out there running around and nobody will want them.
WOW,it's hard but I Think...I think I have to agree with you!:D
My first street bike was a CM185 and man I was happy to have a bike,but damn that thing drove me NUTS! It was like riding a big and SLOW moped. I mean that bike HAS to be the slowest bike OTHER than a moped I've ever rode.

The handling was just straight up SCARY! Imagine a bike that can't accelerate out of harms way if need be AND can't go around a corner without giving you the feeling you could "wash out" at any second!
I have never had a bike before or since that handled that badly and that includes all the dirt/enduro bikes with KNOBBIES as well.

I had it for a whole season/year and couldn't wait to sell/trade it in which I did the next spring on a new,left-over Seca 400. That Seca was a God send and I loved that bike. It was the best bike in it's class when it came out and in the four+ years I owned it I NEVER had one problem with it.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Joe, I actually hate the cb400 Twin Hawk and all derivates based on the engine (which included the cm). It is actually on the short list of bikes I wish honda never made. Where as the Cx500 I regard as a nusance, this bike I straight find has only one redeeming quality - it is honda reliable and you have access to parts (which pretty much goes for most hondas).

What is so bad about a cm over a cb? well it is the "factory chopper" verison, which means it is blessed with not only 0-30 in 5 days acceleration but also bad handeling in the form of honda's chopperized forks and tiny (in diameter) rear wheel. The frames on all these 400 twin bikes are overly heavy and have the rigidity of a sloppy turd.

It is not like I am trying to be a dick about this bike but it is the edsel of motorcycles and you are going to have to do a lot of work to make it a performance motorcycle. Hey you asked what was wrong with the cm bikes and now you are unhappy with the answer? You brought that bike into your house without doing the research...you live with it.

In the past year and a half I have given away 4 of these 400 twins now for free. I am constantly following up leads on "that old honda" so-and so's relative has in a barn and whenever I find out it is one of these bikes I tell people they have to pay me to take it away. Usually the person is asking $1000 for it too when I go look, you should see the crushed looks on their faces when I explain to them that the bike is worthless.

I used to actually pay money for them, once. My local metal scrapper used to give me $100 for all the aluminum on a complete bike and another $50 for the iron. I would buy the whole bike for $50 and then make a profit off of it. Now the scrapper won't take them without titles and I don't destroy running bikes that have titles so I don't pay for them anymore.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
a buddy picked up one from the side of the road, it was either $25 or free, and brought over where we hung out on the weekends. The lady that owned it painted up to look like a cow so it was impossible for her to sell it. Ugly as sin.
I think the front brake was seized so it got removed. We spent alot of time with the front wheel up against the dumpster or building burning off old tires. The base gasket was weeping so it looked like a steam whistle when it was hot. After everyone was sick of it, I think we tricked someone in the club to take it away.
Poor old cow bike

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Bell:

We've got a couple of local guys that have taken some much-maligned UJM's and turned them into home-built masterpieces. One guy has hacked and chopped a 750 Spectre into a true badass econochop/cafe and has scrambled the DNA on a <*retch*> Maxim of all bikes, morphing that factory turd into something closer to the right kind of ugly.

Check it:

Or check out Greg from ohiocaferacer's home-built CB500 chop:

My point is, if you read into what Geeto's saying, the problem is not the bike, but simply the bike's aesthetics. Don't worry if the CM motor isn't a race-bred HRC plant. If it goes, its good. So get the motor, electrics and wheels/suspension sorted, then break out the hack saw, hit the local bike junkyard and give your generic CM some real personality. Make it yours.

Oh, and a good rule of thumb is: try NOT to throw money at it to get the look you want. Challenge your creativity by doing it yourself. Sheet metal isn't that hard to bend. You have to know somebody with a welder. Devour as many bike mags/search for as many ideas online (hell, some of the members here have done some wicked changes to their bikes) as you can.

Personally, I have an immense amount of respect for anybody willing to buck the conventional wisdom and turn a castaway bike into a one-off work of rolling art.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:

My point is, if you read into what Geeto's saying, the problem is not the bike, but simply the bike's aesthetics. Don't worry if the CM motor isn't a race-bred HRC plant. If it goes, its good. So get the motor, electrics and wheels/suspension sorted, then break out the hack saw, hit the local bike junkyard and give your generic CM some real personality. Make it yours.

Oh, and a good rule of thumb is: try NOT to throw money at it to get the look you want. Challenge your creativity by doing it yourself. Sheet metal isn't that hard to bend. You have to know somebody with a welder. Devour as many bike mags/search for as many ideas online (hell, some of the members here have done some wicked changes to their bikes) as you can.

Personally, I have an immense amount of respect for anybody willing to buck the conventional wisdom and turn a castaway bike into a one-off work of rolling art.
exactly!!!!

how is it you guys are so much better at saying what it is I mean?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Because we didn't go to law school.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts