Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDIT: This post is almost a year old. Scroll to the last one for current pics and info.

I used to post on here a lot but then shit got in the way (I had to finish a book) and I didn't have time. But I did manage to get a lot more work done on my CL450 with bomber tank.

The motor was tired so I rebuilt it, and that was a challenge with crappy ebay pistons and worn out cam drive train. So I got some new forged JE pistons:

And expensive chain parts from Cappellini in Italy:

Lots of NOS head parts too, with porting, etc. Runs good now.

While the motor was out I repainted the frame and did the following work:
- removed side panel clips and passenger peg brackets & cleaned up messy factory welds
- tig welded factory spot welded sections near the bottom front and headstock
- had a battery box made to hold a modern, light AGM battery under the carbs
- Adapted GSXR rearsets to the pass. peg location; polished brackets and removed ankle guards
- converted rear brake to cable
- polished engine side cases and replaced all bike hardware with allen head stainless wherever possible.

And now, with a rebuilt motor, I have the bike running. Anyway, here's the latest shot:

But like all good projects it's not done yet.

Future plans:

Done 12/07 - 2:1 exhaust, right side exit - as much as I like the CL450 pipes, they are heavy, restrictive and always in the way of my left boot. I have a set of 2:1 on order.

- Rebuild wheels - I want aluminum rims, 18" in front. I will drill the brakes at the same time, and replace the rear sprocket with an aluminum one. I won't be doing it anytime soon, but send me a PM if you have an extra drum brake front hub laying around. I'll speed-hole the hubs and polish them at the same time.

- Electronic ignition - The points actually work pretty well, but I get some mid-range pinging and I think an adjustable or retuned timing curve would help that somewhat.

- Different rear fender - I'm not crazy about the way it looks, and I think it could be made more clean/trick/

Done 7/08: Drilled and shortened stocker.- different chainguard - it's just not trick enough for me. I don't know what to do. Perhaps build an alloy one or adapt something from a modern sportbike

- redo rear brake cable - it's a little awkward in routing and angle.

Done 7/08 - alloy front engine mount plate - this is a hugely obvious part on these bikes and a nice aluminum one would really set it off.

Done 7/08 - speed holes in sprocket cover on engine - it just looks too "plain", not racy enough.

Thanks to Branson, Geeto, Rosko, 250GPCHAMP and all the other Caferacer guys for the advice & sometimes parts so far.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That is awesome and you did a great job on it. Please post more pics from different angles.

Also post up when you do the mods.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:
That is awesome and you did a great job on it. Please post more pics from different angles.

Also post up when you do the mods.
Thanks, I've yet to take any good ones. I get paid to photograph shit so it removes my motivation to shoot for myself.

·
Registered
147 Posts
quote:

Thanks, I've yet to take any good ones. I get paid to photograph shit so it removes my motivation to shoot for myself.
Think of it this way, You're not shooting for yourself, you're shooting for us!

The best kind of justice is angry mob justice.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here's some quick snapshots:

And the ugly side:

Just for fun, here's what it looked like the night I dragged it home:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Great looking bike! Suggestions:

1) Turn the front fender around. The shorter part belongs toward the front.

2) Trim some of the valance off that rear fender, behind the mounting bolts.

3) Shorten the seat a couple inches, and lower the rear part of the seat so it doesn't stick up too far above the rear fender.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I'm really not happy with the rear fender anyway. I need to do something with it.

Also, the front fender isn't going to work if I build an 18" front wheel to replace the 19-incher on there now. So I'll probably use a TZ-style or a CR-style racing fender.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A little update:

- I blew up the motor last winter. Finally got some new pistons made (74mm instead of 72mm) and took the opportunity to do some more porting on the new head. Also had some cams made by Delta and worked out the external oiling system.
- On the cosmetic side I finally found some genuine Ceriani headlight brackets that don't push the headlight out into space. Also got the Omar's 2:1 exhaust (which isn't the best design but it works). And I speed-holed the sprocket cover and cut down the chain guard a little.

Now it runs great though I'm still messing with jetting. I get a surge on the freeway that I THINK is a too-rich midrange, but could also be too lean. I need to play with shimming the needle and see if it goes away.

Pics:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Almost forgot I got another bomber tank (the old one had a tweaked filler neck), and had it professionally painted. The painter did a good job but he's a car painter and got paint on the filler neck.

Here's the Ceriani brackets:

I will eventually strip and polish them to match the rest of the bike. In the meantime I'm thinking of a different headlight bucket. Maybe a Bates chopper-style 'light. Notice that I also have the world's ugliest ignition switch and bracket. That's also on the list to clean up.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While the motor was out I re-wired it with a chinese pitbike regulator and all-new connectors and wiring. I modified the stator wiring from a 1-phase, 3-wire setup to a simple 1-phase 2-wire setup.

I still have some work to do. Here's my list:

Cosmetic:
- Adapt Manx Norton seat in place of current cafe seat. Shorten frame to match.
- Remove rear fender, install fiberglass rock guard and possibly modify frame
- Find original Ceriani race fender or modern copy
- better headlight
- better ignition switch mount
- speed-hole battery box
- fab better exhaust hanger

Engine/drivetrain:
- Sort mid-range jetting
- Electronic ignition (super secret project in the works)
- 520 chain conversion; aluminum rear sprocket
- Tach (any suggestions?)

Suspension/brakes:
- New fork tubes (mine are rusty)
- Front disc brake (Grimeca/Lockheed/Brembo vintage caliper, CB550 hub & FZR rotor)
- Fix rear brake linkage
- 17-inch or 18-inch rims (17s would be cool but 18s have a better vintage vibe)

Originally I had wanted to run drum brakes to give the bike an AHRMA race look, but now I'm regretting that decision. I plan to convert to a disc in front but I want to keep it looking at least somewhat vintage with a Lockheed-style caliper and flat bracket. I'm also now regretting sticking with 35mm forks, but I still like the vintage skinny fork tube look. If I go to 17 inch wheels I can drop them in the triples and keep the same ride height.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looks great! If you're thinking of ditching that front brake and wheel, I'm looking to buy one and would gladly send you some cash.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Nice job - looks great..

Here's a picture of the real deal...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts