Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'll give them a call as soon as I get a chance next week.
I've used a guy called Bill Roberts for seats/ fairings quite a few times. He supplies the likes of Mead Speed MeadSpeed
Don't think he has a website, and he's not the easist to get on with on the phone, although nice enough when you meet in person. It's been over 3 years since I've spoken to him, but I'd be happy to give him a ring. I think the postage costs could be a deal breaker tho.
No hurry on this, I really need to get the bike into some heat and go through it before we commit to the spend. It was a hitter, looks alright, but you can't see much with the fairings on.

Shipping to the middle of nowhere is always costly. In this case there is a real added value to knowing the parts are of quality and going to fit. Some extra shipping cost doesn't feel nearly as bad as banging your head against the wall.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I got the 900 running. Clutch is very noisy but it seems to engage smoothly. The temperature was below freezing and it fired right up. I generally take that as a sign that you have a pretty good seal in the cylinders.

The plan to build it into a Stevio Imola is moving in the right direction. It has become a more involved process but a lot more interesting at the same time.

Having the tank made is the most difficult problem to overcome. It's shaped by hand (I picture a grumpy guy smoking a pipe) and to do this they need a buck or the bike. We have come to a decision on how to resolve the issue but it may take a some time to get it done.

While the opportunity to have custom gas tanks made was here, we started thinking about what could be done with the ST. Completely different frame rail angles, plumbing sticking out the left, electronics and battery on the right, rad at the front. What do you build?

ST3- the green line is the angle of the SS's frame. The tail of the ST sits at less of a pitch than the SS. A lot more clutter to hide on a liquid bike.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The 800 is running, It was the immobilizer that wasn't letting me start it, Deleted the immobilizer and it fired right up. Actually has a nice sound from the pipes, I thought it would be brutally loud but it's only obnoxious.

The SS has really grown into a bigger project than we first anticipated. It turns out that the easiest way to proceed is to buy a bike in the UK and have Steveo build and ship us one along with an extra set of parts for the SS we have here. Steveo has sent us several listings for potential donor bikes but what are we going to tell him about Ducati's

Having built the Imolas in the past there are some things Steveo has said he would like to change or do differently and we are thinking about some small cosmetic changes but it will basically the bike Steveo has built in the following link.

For the ST we are considering importing a TT seat and fairing from TGA who special in parts for vintage TT builds. The idea would be to keep the tank and just incorporate the new body panels and more period correct exhaust.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts