Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, don't get me wrong, I like Japanese bikes, and Italian bikes, German bikes not too much, but etc, etc. I am thinking I'm in the wrong place because after going through all the forums, this site is 99 & 44/100ths Asian bikes. And I like Asian bikes, I have two, an S65 and an S90 Honda, I've had Bridgestones, even road raced one, had a lovely GB500 that I still regret selling, etc., but is anyone out there at all interested in English bikes, you know Enland where all the cafe thing actually started, or am I as lost as a goose in snow storm over here?

Respectfully,
Dgy

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The two biggest causes for the high asian content are:

1) Brit bikes are fucking expensive
2) There are millions of Asian bikes made and they are very accessible

Despite being a cb750 guy I love brit bikes, espically nortons, but it is hard to justify $5K plus for an average norton when a cb750 will cost me 1/4 of that. Plus the parts for a brit bike are not cheap either, although they are a hell of a lot more accessible than back when I had my commando. The other hang up I have about brit bikes is those into them tend to be hoarders of a righteous order. I am one myself but the lengths some of the guys I have delt with go through to hold onto something - it is like they don't want any fresh blood in the hobby. Seriously, worse than AMC car guys and they are legendary

so if someone had a semi-running norton they wanted to part with for $1000 - $2000 I will gladly jump the shark and go back to being a brit guy....

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Good Point - But - I think the main reason for more Asian bikes is the fact that are cheaper and readily available. The aftermarket industry also has more parts available. Just try to source a part for a 69 Norton... Nothing wrong with the English ware, just not enough of them...

BTW - The cafe scene in England was not just made up of English bikes - their was also a strong representation of Asian bikes - mainly Honda 450 & 750's...

Still a good point... - Geeto - you just beat my response...

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
In my case I have a '76 Bonneville that I'm considering going the cafe route with. It's not in anything like original condition but I could go either way, cafe or resto. My problem is that I lack the skilz to do the work to the level that the bike deserves. I don't mind getting into a less expensive (less valuable) Japanese bike and changing stuff, but I'm hesitant to hack into my Bonneville. At some point I'll have the confidence to do what I want, then I just have to figure out exactly what I want to do....if that makes sense.
Maybe others are doing the same thing in effect, learning on the Japanese stuff before getting into the Euro stuff.

FR

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
[I have two, an S65 and an S90 Honda]

There not bike there mopeds;)

I get the classic bike mags from the uk and it looks to me that in lots of cases you can get just about anything for a brit bike there are lot of reproduction parts and shops that do all kind of special work, some times finding bits for a Honda is a bitch, if its not dealer available anymore your doing e-bay junk yard or paying premium for nos,where as my bultaco its much easier to get stuff, maybe if the dollar was stronger I would look British for sure,

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Texy has a BSA. But he won't sell me just the motor. I really would like to race a BSA, I just don't have the resources time and money, to make that happen, yet. If a B44, B50, A-7, A-10, A-65 or A -50 comes along at the right price, I will start a project. I have missed several in the past but now I am keeping my eyes open.

Ken

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a 73 Bonneville 750 but would not dream of hacking it. It is all original and will stay that way. I have different bikes for different reasons. The Bonnie is my cruising bike for when I want to go slow and just enjoy the ride. The KZ1000 is my street/strip bike. It has high compresison, 29mm smoothbores, .420 cams, decked and ported/polished head and has lost about 100lbs by switching to FZR front and rear end. The CL450 cafe is for the times I feel like taking a quick ride and forgetting about the world. Nor built for comfort that's for sure. Also have a Yamaha TC100 for when I want to play int he dirt. I still need a long distance bike like Goldwing or Venture. Best part is that I have around $3000 total in all my bikes (yes I somehow find amazing deals).

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with Geeto and the others, I would love a bonneville but at their price and rarity (especially rare here in the south east) I would not damn one to some hacking-up to make it into any sort of cafe racer. Jap-o bikes and maybe some cheap-o italian bike, there's somethign easy to take a torch too and not be daming a rare historic peice.

·
Registered
699 Posts
what a tool...he used the word "bling". besides, a couple of vintage racers that i know race BSA's and they say it stands for "bastard stopped again"

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i like the diversity on cr.net. we have members with all sorts of bikes. Most are japanese, but its because in the 70's there were shit tons of those bikes being sold here. you can find one around every corner.
I'll ride anything. I'd like to have a english bike, but i never see them for sale around me. American bikes, i'd take one of those too. If they were available for $1000 commonly. But they aren't.
Other bike forums tend to favor certain make bikes. Jockey journal, i just joined recently, tends to favor brit and old american bikes. Mostly chops and hardtails. There was a thread on that forum recently about the cafe racer influx that seems to be growing ridiculously faster then other types. They don't seem to really like it that much at JJ. but a lot of those dudes (not all, i mean it. not all of them) seem to think narrow mindedly. They only buld hardtails, they live and breath "kustom kulture" and they roll their pants legs up. most probably own a stand up bass and have the same haircut. Ain't got any tat's? forget about it!
what makes us different is that on a whole, we'll accept you here with or without tat's and push rod motor. And i don't care if you wear van's. Its just different.
we focus more on performance and racing here then say dotheton.com or jj. into form and vanity? there are other forums for that and i'm not judging as i belong to the other forums too. I just tend to appreciate each forum for different reasons. Some of the bikes on JJ are simply amazing to look at! most of the bikes here are simply amazing to ride! most of the bikes at dotheton are simple!
So take this forum for what it is, and feed your other needs at different forums. its ok to like them all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, for sure, simple economics plays a deciding role in selecting a cafe-to-be bike. My cafe project is a '78 Yamaha XS650, which I picked up for less than $100. I've spent at least 20 times that so far in parts and upgrades for it, though, but still, by the time the project is complete, my total cash outlay will be significantly less than what it would cost to buy a decent British twin.

I also own a Norton Commando, which I was able to buy for a great price. But it is almost all original, and because of its steadily rising collectible value, it would be extremely short-sided to make any permanent alterations to it. Hasn't stopped me from thinking about another seat and tank for it, though -- something more cafe-esque. Maybe when I finish the XS.

Best,

Michael

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Its pretty simple. British bikes (as we know them) haven't been made for 30 years. They have a mystique and Triumphs have an almost god like rep. here. Therefore they are expensive. Jap bikes have been here (in droves) for more than 40 years. They replaced brit bikes and when there is nothing else thats what you go with. I would say that there are a lot of us here that love brit bikes but can't afford them. I've had my Norton for 41 years and am not planning to part with it soon. In fact, I think its safe to say my widow will sell it. Not me. I also have a CB750 that is 99% original. I got it from the original owner and I can't bring myself to cut it up. Tha cafe scene in England, when it started, used british bikes because thats all they had. As soon as the Jap bikes arrived and proved faster the "ton up boy" scene took a nose dive. Nostalgia, being what it is, is now driving the brit bike cafe racer. Take a look at Unity Equipe's catalog online and you'll see what I mean. All you need is a Triumph motor and Unity can supply the rest. And take a look at their prices!! Bakker Frambou in Holland can supply you with a titanium Manx frame. Only $15,000! When you see things like that you will realise why jap bikes are the current bike of choice for turning into a cafe.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I love'm all, some more than others but I there are only a handful I'd take a pass on and none I wouldn't ride once for the hell of it. The bikes I love the least belong to collectors/investors. They gather value but no miles and they make everything about the hobby cost a lot more than it used to.
cheers, bcr

1 - 18 of 18 Posts