Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I guess he must of thought it was a cracking idea at some point.
I'll bet the person filming was thinking crackpot as he watched.

I don't know how you could understand engineering well enough to get it to function and not realize how it would handle with rear steer and dual wheels, it's a combination for high siding. A single rear wheel and he may have looked less awkward at least.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
What a colossal piece of shit!

Dual Rear Wheel:
Yes, rear wheels! No it's not a trike, but rather two thin rear tires giving the bike a wider rear foot print. Between the two tires is a brake disc on the common rear axle.
Um, yes it IS a trike. And a shit one at that.

Nice how when he finally does twist the throttle the front wheel immediately brakes traction. No, really, I mean it, that's a nice feature. It limits the speed you'll be going when you realize this POS won't turn. Doesn't lean. Narrow track. Genius. Notice at around 1:30 when they edit out the part of the walking pace U-turn that went bad?

I'm not sure what amazes me more.

A)That someone would actually follow through on completing this
B)That someone would document what a failure it is
C)That someone would then seek publicity for such a failure
D)That a website would promote it at all, let alone in a positve light.

Duc Cutters has some sketchy projects on it but this one takes the crown. Game over. Retire the Cup.

I'm not sure what sort of drugs the builder was on but it's a shame he didn't see somethign like this and decide to make it real instead.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I drove a Cat 966B for one winter and it handled far better than that. Maybe it needs to articulate in the centre. That way he could attain a high enough speed to put himself out of his misery.

The car is interesting. I have a complete spare running CX motor/drivetrain and thought briefly about a quasi 3 wheel Morgan contraption, but the drugs wore off before it hit the drawing board.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if one rear wheel would make it more "rideable"
and if it did, would you still counter steer it to make it turn?

i found that video just hilarious. i figured he's spin up the front and take off and ride around, but then he crawled along and clearly couldn't make it turn. the realisation you'd done all that work and made just a total epic fail must have sucked big time.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I drove a Cat 966B for one winter and it handled far better than that. Maybe it needs to articulate in the centre. That way he could attain a high enough speed to put himself out of his misery.

The car is interesting. I have a complete spare running CX motor/drivetrain and thought briefly about a quasi 3 wheel Morgan contraption, but the drugs wore off before it hit the drawing board.
there's a few morgan things with guzzi running gear. i managed to avoid working on a local one. i don't know if the cx would have enough grunt being a 500. johann at moto motivo does them with guzzi motors.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
there's a few morgan things with guzzi running gear. i managed to avoid working on a local one. i don't know if the cx would have enough grunt being a 500. johann at moto motivo does them with guzzi motors.
I have seen a few with CX engines and they would probably have enough grunt for the amount (and where) I'd use it. I figure if the GL500 will haul two north americans with trunk and bags, it would work. However... speaking of work, would I really want to go to that effort and not use something like a Guzzi engine or better yet an oily, noisy, rattly, JAP with two big mags hanging off the front and yard long pushrods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts