Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 1970 honda cb175 the other day for twenty bucks, I currently do not have the ownership for it but an going to look into that. It is pretty much all there except for the right side cover and headlight. I was wondering if these were a sought after bike as far as collectors were concerned?

If I can get the ownership I will fix it up for street use, if not It will be a track bike

Hey someone pas me the wrench........ Ahh screw it where is the torch

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
all old stuff, get a following,but its just wrong to look at things as collector.As a mechanical thing its to be enjoyed not thought of as, a stock.But thats just me.
Do what you want with it let the next guy worry about that.Thats the thing about things collectible they come and go and its alot of work to worry over such matters ,its called timing and if you have it at the right time and you want to sell it do it but Im not a believer in collecting as an investment its alot of work work work.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Bull, you and I are just not of the same mind. I've watched enough pristine old bikes with irreplaceable parts get hacked up by suckers with faux hawks. I'm over it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I was asking the question if these were sought after was to figure out if I would be better off fixing it up well enough so it can pass a safety and selling it to someone who really wants it or just parting it out. I know everyone might like something they see and timing is everything.

I managed to get it running yesterday though so who knows I may end up keeping it

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
xander450 you just have idealism in your minds eye more lust for such things then they are worth.YOu are a true collector .Im sorry you have those deep routed feelings on one hand, on the other hand if there werent people like you, alot of classics wouldnt be restored so others would know what a true classic is.

We are of the same mind just have our devotion in different ends of the spectrum .we need people like you for posterity and need people like me for enthusiasium.Not that you have any less enthuisiasium then I.But its different our heart is still in the machine just in its difference in usage is where we differ. we are alike but different.We still love the species,just have different use of it.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I feel ya. Don't get me wrong, if I were strictly a stocker I wouldn't spend so much time lurking around here. My primary bike is a CB450 K4 frame, a CB500T bottom end, CB450 K7 head, CB450 K0 bomber tank taken down to bare metal, clip-ons, etc... but it wasn't a decent bike that I hacked up. When I got it the engine in it was spent (it was bored to 498, and if you're ever tempted, allow me to talk you out of it unless you're willing to resleeve), the forks were shot, the electrics were toast, it already had the bomber tank on it. In short, it was a perfect candidate for a cafe bike.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The last thing I need is another project, but looking the bike over I need a headlight, tires, fork seals, repack bearings ect. to get it to pass a safety. If I can do everything I need to safety it for under $250.00 I am going to have a dirty old rat bike. If not it gets parted out

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
is it a sloper or a vert? I am not familar with them but one of the 175s is supposed to be a big deal to 175 racers.....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how would I be able to tell?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok thanks Geeto Rerading the other post I think the bike may have a vert engine but I haven't really looked at it. I will post a pic as soon as I can get my hands on a digicam, that or I will just post the engine SN if that is any help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts