Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my name's Cecil. I have been checking this site for some time now, but haven't registered until recently. I just bought a running, stock GS550 with a clean title for $300. That left me a few hundred of my bike budget to start doing a few things to it. I have read tons of the tech posts, lots of great info. I am sure I will need some help soon, so thanks in advance. I am pretty excited, since I've been oogling cafe racers for as long as I can remember, and I finally get to build one of my own.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Welcome bro, there almost always someone here that can answer your questions....even if they have to guess like I do.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK already with the questions. You guys have a good resource for hardware? I broke 2 rusty exhaust bolts tonight and found 3 other bolts missing elsewhere, with countless others mismatched. Just looking for some info, since I live in a pretty backwoods town w/o many metric resources. I already looked into http://www.midwestcontrol.com/ that mut poted a while back for rearsets, etc. (Thanks mut) but is there anywhere in particular you guy go for good (and possibly inexpensive) hardware? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
cecil,

i too had limited success in finding a good metric wholesaler (i used to have one half of my life at the family's hardware/welding supply/industrial gas dealerships)......but i digress.

go down to your local autozone, pep boys, strauss auto, etc....and buy the $10.00 metric assortment kit. these are normally grade 5 hardware, and will handle most hardware tasks on your bike, giving you a small assortment of 5mm-10mm hardware.

cheers and welcome!

tex

·
Registered
699 Posts
i haven't seen the metric assortment set at autozone, but i do know several "motorcycle" companies sell assortment sets...they are priceless! i HIGHLY recommend you getting one. luckily i have been racing long enough that i have ammassed a pretty good assortment of stuff, but if you are starting out, start with one of those kits. if you need specialty stuff after that, mcmaster carr is priceless. they have turbo fast shipping too!!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Good source I've found is at the local bike bone yard. The guy who disassembles the bikes usually throws the assorted hardware into a spackle bucket. A box load of assorted nuts, bolts, spacers, dohickies, etc . for cheap money. Wirebrush, WD40, crocus cloth and you are good to go. Good to have you Cecil, good luck with that old gs.
cheers, bcr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a million, guys. I will definitely look into a metric kit. McMaster-Carr is awesome, thanks. I haven't had any success locating a local bike bone yard. It would be great to poke around somewhere like that. Oh and I didn't know about thegsresources. Good stuff. More questions to come when I get stuck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts