·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
"This is suitable for daily riding."
(maybe around the campus of the school for the deaf)

"New chrome gauge covers with new cafe decals for gauge faces"
(just in case someone asks what kind of bike it is)

"Custom skulls indicator"
(indicates he's a numb skull?)

-parks

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Thanks Geet!

I like the KZ tank idea - they look a bit like the old TZ race tanks. I wonder what the fuel capacity is?

Jim

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:
Thanks Geet!

I like the KZ tank idea - they look a bit like the old TZ race tanks. I wonder what the fuel capacity is?

Jim
27 liters....so about 7.1 gallons. The euro spec gas tanks were I believe 30 liters which is 7.9 gallons. How about we just say "a lot" and leave it at that.

quote: "This is suitable for daily riding."
(maybe around the campus of the school for the deaf)

"New chrome gauge covers with new cafe decals for gauge faces"
(just in case someone asks what kind of bike it is)

"Custom skulls indicator"
(indicates he's a numb skull?)

-parks
I think the bike has a lot of good parts (Tarozzi rear sets, tomaselli adjustable clipons, dyna S)....

...and bad parts (16" rear wheel, the fact that it looks like carpy shat it out fully formed and it isn't even one of his bikes, the uber loud exhaust).

7.1 gallons of fuel is enough to consider doing an Iron Butt run on a cafe racer just to do it.....hmmmmmmm....

·
Registered
306 Posts
yep...it looks like its spreading....carpy's disease.

let's just hope it sticks to the 550/750 fours, and doesn't infect our sweet little twins and singles!

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." -Hunter S. Thompson

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have never tried swapping tanks and have only owned one bike (76 CB500). How difficult is this? Are there known tanks that can be easily converted? To my bike? Or maybe to the cb750s?

Edited by - dubyaohohdee on Feb 13 2008 3:38:29 PM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:
I have never tried swapping tanks and have only owned one bike (76 CB500). How difficult is this? Are there known tanks that can be easily converted? To my bike? Or maybe to the cb750s?
with a welder you can make anything fit......

It is kind of a trial and error kind of thing. Nothing fits better than tanks made for your bike. This is not limited to the tank honda made; tracy, dunstall, all of the major aftermarket fiberglass tank makers had at one time or another made tanks for the popular jap bikes (cb750, 500/550, 450, etc). I had a tracy body for a cb450 for a short while, should never have let that go.

Using factory tanks from other bikes gets kinda dodgy. They will never fit exactly right but can be "massaged" to work pretty well if you are using other custom parts (like a bumstop seat).

English and american tanks usually require some kind of welding to fit since the mounting systems are different than the cup and rubber mounting of japanese tanks. The Tunnel and the mounts are the crucial points to look at when expirementing with tanks. Take measurements of your own tank and troll ebay, you will be surprised how accomidating some sellers are about taking measurements.

Off the top of my head a cx500 tank is a good starting point for the cb350/450/500 twins.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts