Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
thats the style of bike id like to see a club open up to. a lw twins class for the 70's and 80's sub 400cc twins. include everything. anything goes.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
quote:Originally posted by joe c

thats the style of bike id like to see a club open up to. a lw twins class for the 70's and 80's sub 400cc twins. include everything. anything goes.
I'm trying to get the same damned thing going at OMRRA. Someday.

Man, a grid of cb350's, cb360's, xs400's, kz400's, gs400's, etc. Would be so awesome. And affordable.

·
Registered
241 Posts
WMRRA -

Lightweight Classic Superbike - up to 550cc, 1973 to 1985, air cooled, twin shock.

OMRRA and WMRRA vintage rules at least used to be virtually the same. Does that class not exist in OMRRA?

Bateman

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Personally, I would like to see it a true production class. Change bars and fork oil and that is it. Given the age of some of these bikes I would also have a spec Emgo cheap muffler, a spec cheap set of shocks, apec set of Uni- filter air cleaners and allow rearsets. No swapping of wheels, tanks, or seats or any of that stuff. they are so cheap and available that if you don't have what is competitive or stylish, get what is. That means no CL pipes on CB's, if it came with points then you run points, If it came with electric start and a battery then you run electric start and a battery. KZ400/450, GS400/425/450, XS 360/400, CB/CM 400/450, CB/CL 350/360/450 It should be a real easy class to run. I would think the biggest expense would be tires.

Ken

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Yep, with you 100%, Ken.

We wanted to call it "Formula Junk".

·
Registered
241 Posts
All you need is some other like minded folk. You don't need the club to create your own dream class as long as they have a class you can run in. Create your own class, with your own rules and run it within the club's structure. You can even track points and give out trophies on your own.

No problem at all - we've been doing it for years up here with both Sounds of the Past (SOTP), a class and points structure that runs completely separate from the clubs, and our own 160 group. Though both OMRRA and WMRRA have decided to embrace the 160s in their own "special" way and have created classes for them - we ran for years on our own within 250 vintage.

You can even run your own championship series including selected races from multiple clubs. That's what SOTP does.

As long as the club has a class that the bike can be entered in, and your rules don't create bikes that aren't legal for a class, you can pretty much do whatever you want. I'll guarantee that the club won't care. You can even end up winning trophies from both the club and your own series for the same race if you're competitive overall.

Bateman

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Yeah.

People are so focused on their SV's, FU bikes, 160's, etc., though, that they can't wrap their heads aaround how much fun this would be. My plan is to buy 7 or 8 of these over the next year, get them track legal, then bring em all out to the track, and let people put their numbers on 'em. Then race!

We'll see.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Mark,
We could run some of those at the AHRMA race at Portland. They do fit in LW vintage superbike. If you find some, let me know. I'll be keeping an eye on the Portland and Salem Craigslist.

I would also specify that they have to run Bridgestone BT 45 tires. They are good enough, don't cost too much, avilable in every ize to fit 16" rear and 19" front rims and are eligible for contingency.
Ken

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
I had a barn find one (shed actually) that had 1500 miles on it. The original owner gave me the title from 1976. You know what happened to that bike? I ended up giving it away for free (twice) because that is all it was worth.

a kz400 will get creamed by a cb350. maybe it could keep up with the 360 but a gs400 will eat both their lunches. you would need to define that class really carefully: 400 SLOW-twins class - open to gs400s, kz400s, cb400ts, and cb360s 4 stroke. The bikes are such dogs anyway you could then open up the rules to allow for cams, carbs, etc....basically as long as you get the ringers (sr400-500, cb350, etc) out of the class it should be good fun clean cheap racing. Heck, set a spending limit on it, no more than $1500 per bike including race mods.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
There's always 'cheater' bikes in every class. Leave the gs's and cb350's in there.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
GS sure, cb350? no way the bike is too good - so good it has its own class anyway, wanna run a cb350 run that class (SCCA has the same problems with e30 BMWs - too cheap and better than anything in the price range so they have spec e30 as a seperate class).

Plus the cb350 has like 40 years racing devlopment where as kz400 has 30 years expirence growing mold in shitty garages and sheds.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
That's why Ken was recommending a production class. The cb350's in stock form are not that much faster than kz400's in stock form. Better and faster, yes, but by a wide margin? No.
So yeah, race your built to the freakin hilt cb350 against other race-built cb350's.
But I think a stock cb350, kz400, xs 400, gs400 and cb360 (etc) would be close enough for horseshoes and government work.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
My dad used to race dirt track (cars) in the 1940s and 1950s. Mostly at Carrell Speedway in Gardena and Ascot Park in L.A. He told me they used to have "jalopy" races. The way they made sure no one ran a ringer in the jalopy class was they made it a claiming race. I think he said it worked like this: the organizers set the claiming amount at, say, $500. After the race, anyone was allowed to buy any of the jalopys in the race for $500. So if you ran a car that was too good, someone else would buy it. And you would have to walk home!

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
the cb360 is pretty close to the kz400 in terms of performance. The cb350 is much faster than a kz400.

from magazine tests of the day (cycle I believe):

kz400: 16.40 sec / 80.81 mph 1/4 mile

cb350: 15.55 sec @ 80.14 mph 1/4 mile (motorcycle classics).

never mind that the cb350 is rated at 36 hp and the kz440 at 43 hp, a stock cb350 is almost a full second quicker in an accelerating straight line.

oh and the cb350 class is mostly stock bikes (have to run stock carbs, etc).

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Oh, right, that class.
Pretty sure the 400 was rated at 36hp, too. It's a bigger, heavier bike, though. (some 25 or 35 pounds more)
I'm sure weights would be closer once stripped down for the track, though. And the others have disc brakes :)

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
quote:Originally posted by mlinder

Oh, right, that class.
Formula CB

Formula CB, a spec class for near stock Honda CB350, CL350 and CB360 Twins. The purpose of Formula CB is to provide a entry level class for new riders and a low-intensity and economical class for any rider. To meet these goals the class is intended for basically stock bikes. Anyone who disregards the spirit of rules for this class will be asked to move to LWSV. With the creation of this class, Honda CB350's will no longer eligible for Period 1 - 350GP, but can participate in Formula CB and Lightweight Supervintage. All Formula CB races may be run with the 350GP. All currently legal CB's running in 350GP will be legal for Formula CB.

There are similar classes in WERA and AHRMA. I think V1 in WERA is basically the class we are talking about.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Geeto, Not that I want to disagree with you, yeah I really do:) You are so wrong and missing the point, you are not even in the same ball park. First non of the currently raced CB350s are anywhere near stock. They have different forks, brakes, ignitions,total loss electrics, bodywork, frames welded, braced, etc. I am talking about a true production class following the rule that is if it doesn't say you can do it then you can't do it. That means that you better have all the grab rails and horn. You would only be able to remove those parts that are a safety risk, like headlight bulbs, tail lights, turn signals and mirrors. You may also note that I have specified what the replacement chocks, mufflers and tires are. Those will be some great equalizers. I note that in your example the 1/4 mile time is faster for the 350 but the trap speed is the same. That is nice, but we are talking about roadracing where brakes, handling and rider ability have something to do with it. How about you and me get on a race track and give it a go. You on a CB350 and me on a KZ400, both built to these rules? Who would win? I don't know, that is why it would be a fun race. I think that combined weights would be pretty close.

Ken

See you at Summit?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts