Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. I just joined to the forum as a started my first cafe racer project. I am open for all opinions, feel free to comment.

I got my hands on a pretty decent and original 1987 KZ 750 R. The plan is to Cafe it and do some upgrading to front end.

The bike is already in good condition all around, a nice bike to start with. Engine runs smoothly and everything works.

Plan is to upgrade front end with clip on's, modify the rear and strip the bike down from all unnecessary things.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Front end is going to be from a -98 R1, with KZ stock wheel and Kawasaki EN500 300 mm brake rotors. Little modification is needed to the steering stem and conversion steeringbearings.

Sieppaa3.JPG

·
Registered
23,296 Posts
[h=2]Kawasaki KZ 750 goes Cafe
[/h] What Cafe did it go to? And did it order a flat white or an americano?

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Stupid question, if you are working on the front end, why did you take the rest of the bodywork off? Seems kinda counter productive unless you are doing that newbie bad habit of trying to work on too many different unrelated things all at once.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will be from the R1, just need to replace wheel bearings to bigger inner diameter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[h=2]Kawasaki KZ 750 goes Cafe
[/h] What Cafe did it go to? And did it order a flat white or an americano?

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Stupid question, if you are working on the front end, why did you take the rest of the bodywork off? Seems kinda counter productive unless you are doing that newbie bad habit of trying to work on too many different unrelated things all at once.
Haha :D

The rear will be modded also. Im thinking about a caferacer seat, tail light etc. But Im trying not to do too much.

·
Registered
23,296 Posts
Haha :D

The rear will be modded also. Im thinking about a caferacer seat, tail light etc. But Im trying not to do too much.

Honestly, the kz750 has a pretty great iconic look for the superbike era (even though at 1987 it was post superbike era). If I were you I would focus your energy on sorting the suspension and riding dynamics and other than ditching the rear grab rail and stock lights leaving the body alone. It could benefit from a round headlight upfront, maybe a 1/4 fairing, and a guilari seat and that's about it.

make it look like this but with twin shocks:
4560d3e74e6e9bfdc0dbc4941208e413.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha

Honestly, the kz750 has a pretty great iconic look for the superbike era (even though at 1987 it was post superbike era). If I were you I would focus your energy on sorting the suspension and riding dynamics and other than ditching the rear grab rail and stock lights leaving the body alone. It could benefit from a round headlight upfront, maybe a 1/4 fairing, and a guilari seat and that's about it.

make it look like this but with twin shocks:
[iurl="http://www.caferacer.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=50761&d=1486142835"]
[/iurl]
That bike is looking awesome! I agree that this -87 KZ should not be turned into pure old school. The rear tail light and seat is going to have a little modifications, as i think the stock is not looking good. Too big and clumsy.

Definetly twin shocks. And stock wheels for atleast next summer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and why did you part out the R1, was it a total shit bike other then the front suspension?[/QUOTE]

I got them from local motorcycle scrapyard. Decent price for full front end.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still waiting for the steering bearings to arrive from AllBalls. Got the spacers for front brake rotors to fit the R1 front with stock wheel. Also got some other things waiting to be fitted. Front light, filters, speedometer etc. 3-3-2017 8-43-35.png 3-3-2017 8-43-53.png 3-3-2017 8-44-11.png

Attachments

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
If you are running solid mounted discs you really should have floating calipers. Or the other way round. Solid discs and fixed calipers is bad.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are running solid mounted discs you really should have floating calipers. Or the other way round. Solid discs and fixed calipers is bad.
You have a point! I also thinked this a lot, but still decided to go with solid discs. I know other bikes too with same setup and they had no problems. Except uneven wear of the brakepads, if the alignment isn't just right.

Got to remember that this is not a racebike, just a sunday cruiser and for show. But i appreciate your comment!

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Uneven pad wear, more drag, extra heat / potential for disc warping, premature pad / disc wear, possibility of extra lever travel.

All things you might encounter - race bike or not.

What bikes are you talking about that have the same setup? Nothing coming out of a factory that I know of.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Uneven pad wear, more drag, extra heat / potential for disc warping, premature pad / disc wear, possibility of extra lever travel.

What bikes are you talking about that have the same setup? Nothing coming out of a factory that I know of.
Yes all of those all the possible scenarios. I will have to see if anything comes up.

They are also cafes / scamblers with same type of setup.

If this will cause any problems, i just have to go with the stock R1 front wheel and get my self a 16" rear wheel. If i won't find floating discs that i can work with.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
They are also cafes / scamblers with same type of setup.
So you're talking about custom bikes that someone who probably doesn't know what they're doing put together? Might look good on Pipeburn but stuff like that is just bad design.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you're talking about custom bikes that someone who probably doesn't know what they're doing put together? Might look good on Pipeburn but stuff like that is just bad design.
Oh they know what they are doing. Similar projects, modern front end with fixed calipers fitted with original front wheels/hubs. And front brakes have worked just fine in everyday use. No warping or any other problems. :)

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

Sorry hillsy. Fairly sure BMW K's/R's had fixed calipers/discs.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 64 Posts