Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Cool. Couple of bikes from the 80s ran them. Blows my concerns right out of the water.

Anything this century run fixed discs and calipers?

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Cool. Couple of bikes from the 80s ran them. Blows my concerns right out of the water.

Anything this century run fixed discs and calipers?
yep, my 1986 BMW is still running ;)

The important thing for regular street riding is that your callipers have opposing pistons, the free play prevents warpage under extreme heat conditions. I suppose if you never use your brakes to the point where they become stinking hot you probably won't see a problem.

Finland is a pretty cold place, just throw some snow on them once in a while <- k, that was just a joke, don't really do that!

·
Registered
7,013 Posts

The important thing for regular street riding is that your callipers have opposing pistons, the free play prevents warpage under extreme heat conditions. I suppose if you never use your brakes to the point where they become stinking hot you probably won't see a problem.

Finland is a pretty cold place, just throw some snow on them once in a while <- k, that was just a joke, don't really do that!
1986 is not this century.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Honestly, the kz750 has a pretty great iconic look for the superbike era (even though at 1987 it was post superbike era). If I were you I would focus your energy on sorting the suspension and riding dynamics and other than ditching the rear grab rail and stock lights leaving the body alone. It could benefit from a round headlight upfront, maybe a 1/4 fairing, and a guilari seat and that's about it.

make it look like this but with twin shocks:
View attachment 50761

Wonder what fork they used?

They look nice and long. Modern but not sportbike modern.

ground clearance is still marginal under that collector, though.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I guess it's relative.

Radial mounted brakes make it a bitch to adapt the wheels and rotors. Fork lengths seem even shorter in the CBR, ZXR, GSXR.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I picked up 2005 GSX-R 600 forks for my CB350 yesterday, I was surprised to see they're about 3" taller than the stock forks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I picked up 2005 GSX-R 600 forks for my CB350 yesterday, I was surprised to see they're about 3" taller than the stock forks.

Really?

all those pics of cb350's with USD forks look like they have the forks extended all the way on the triple trees.

An '05 GSXr600 has one of the shortest modern fork lengths at 720mm. Only the Honda CBR1000R makes a shorter fork as far as I know. 692mm.
TL1000R is 717mm.

Here's one of the charts on the net...
Fork length Compilation - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

·
Registered
107 Posts
For me, this works out well, because I planned on putting clip-ons above the upper clamp anyway so it's all good

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
View attachment 50761

I couldn't find what forks those are. Ground clearance is one thing that made me go with stock wheels. As I'm thinking to go with under mount mufflers.
Something like this on both sides maybe.
putki.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

This is exactly my thoughts too. And yep it's always almost freezing here so no problems ;) Haha

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
There's a lot more pad area on the discs with modern multi piston calipers than the old style twin piston ones so it's not really comparable.

BTW - the front end on the green GPz is a ZXR750 or first gen ZX9R.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Setting up the cockpit to get the idea for the looks. Still waiting for the steering bearings from the US for mounting the front end properly and to finish everything else.

Riding position with 7 degree angled clip on's is just right. Foot pegs still needs to go a little further back and lower.
Mittarit.jpg

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Sad thing is your new bearings were probably not manufactured in USA lol they will probably come from Portugal or China and are just taking the long way to get there.

·
Registered
23,296 Posts
View attachment 50761

the whole bike is pancaked and the photo is taken from down low so it doesn't look like the bike is lowered. The side stand gives it away. It's probably dropped about 1-2"s.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts