Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
IMG_20170422_162314.jpg IMG_20170423_184047.jpg IMG_20170423_184123.jpg IMG_20170423_184131.jpg

Here is a quick update on the Cafesaki.
Got my steering bearings and stem lengthened 15 mm, so it fits the Kawi frame. Had to do some modifications to the frame to get more steering angle, for Yamaha clamps. Now the front end is completed.
Bracket for front LED indicators from aluminium.
Front light and clip-ons mounted. Still need to do some wiring for tachometer.
Still lots to do, but there is some time before summer :cool:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Got my steering bearings and stem lengthened 15 mm, so it fits the Kawi frame. Had to do some modifications to the frame to get more steering angle, for Yamaha clamps. Now the front end is completed.
That's like saying I had to lengthen my fibula and tibula to be able to dunk a basketball...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
My guess is you are thinking rake Y/N? and he is talking about steering stops?
Rake angle of course stays stock. I didn't bother to machine whole new steering stem so lenghtened the stock yamaha stem.
And yes the steering stops in kawi frame needed to be modified a little.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Just finished the whole front end. Everything works nicely and i love the clip on's.
I ended up going with a single digital speedo. I couldn't get the original wire to work with my aftermarket speedo so had to go digital.

I put a 132,5 size main jets with the pod filters and it seems to run pretty good. Starts and revs really good, maybe a slight bobble around 2-3 k rpm. Needs maybe some fine tuning. I'll see that when i get to ride it properly. Still some work to do. :cool:

Now i get to work with the rear end. Sieppaa5.JPG

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Perhaps you know this already, but..... You may have fun sorting out that bobble. I won't bother blathering on about pods and CV carburetors. Not saying it's impossible, but takes more than bigger main jets. You might want to take a look at DynoJets site for example and read some the tech info. I'm not suggesting you buy their kits, just see what they have to say about drivability. They also spent a lot of time playing with needles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Perhaps you know this already, but..... You may have fun sorting out that bobble. I won't bother blathering on about pods and CV carburetors. Not saying it's impossible, but takes more than bigger main jets. You might want to take a look at DynoJets site for example and read some the tech info. I'm not suggesting you buy their kits, just see what they have to say about drivability. They also spent a lot of time playing with needles.
Yeah I'm aware of the problems with the carbs :D These Mikuni's run with the pilot jet caps. I have heard that these work slightly better with pods, even without dynojet kit. Now it seems to run pretty good, but well see :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,296 Posts
And even more on the road :cool:
Not likely. But you'll see.

youve changed one part of the rider control system, time to adjust the other parts to compensate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Exhaust is done. I love the sound, nice and loud :cool:

Now for the rear end. I'm using the stock rear cover, with rear frame shortened about 20 cm.
This will be 2 seated. I'm building a flat seat and clip-on cover. Let's see how it turns out.

I'm also thinking about raising the rear about 10-15 mm with longer shocks. What do you think?

Sivu1.JPG Sivu2.JPG

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm quite liking this build in a wierd way. It's been said a million times already on other builds but make sure you have clearance on the full travel of the wheel.
What are you planning on in terms of a front mud guard?
And what are your calcs with the proposed different length shocks in regard rake and trail?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I'm quite liking this build in a wierd way. It's been said a million times already on other builds but make sure you have clearance on the full travel of the wheel.
What are you planning on in terms of a front mud guard?
And what are your calcs with the proposed different length shocks in regard rake and trail?
Thanks. It's not your typical cafe racer, a bit modernish, but the bike isn't too old either. :eek:

For the seat there's going to be a slight step for the rear end to allow wheel travel.

Front mud guard is still a mystery. The original part could be useable, or I'll get original R1 mudguard and trim it to fit. I dont't want too modern look either.

As for the rear shocks, i haven't done any calculations yet. Good point to consider of course, but the effect on the rake and trail will be so minimal, so i don't think it will effect handling radically.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Little update on this thing.

Rear frame is going to be shortened a bit more, and 2-seated hump-back seat is under way.

Rear mount on the tank is lifted about 20 mm to get the seat and tank lined nicely. Also a bit decal thinking on the tank sides. Flattipenkki.JPG

41 - 60 of 64 Posts