Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I'm definitely not trying to get in a pissing match with anyone. I'm looking for info and experience. I'm not indignant or obstinate towards anyone's advice. I'm here trying to learn.

I am bummed that you're the first one to mention that I'm screwed with the bike I bought. No one has said it's the wrong platform for the kind of project I want to undertake. Obviously that's my fault for not knowing enough prior to my purchase but I really felt I was making some inroads here with some of the advice I've been given. Like I could make this happen with a little more knowledge and advice from you all. It's a letdown to say the least.
They sold a lot of those cruisers but not many fully dressed like yours. Somewhere out there is a guy who has dreamed of owning a decked out KZ since he was a kid. Get it it road reliable, polish it up and find that guy.

Putting something cool together is not a complex process but you need to start with the right bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
They sold a lot of those cruisers but not many fully dressed like yours. Somewhere out there is a guy who has dreamed of owning a decked out KZ since he was a kid. Get it it road reliable, polish it up and find that guy.

Putting something cool together is not a complex process but you need to start with the right bike.
Crap...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Somewhere out there is a guy who has dreamed of owning a decked out KZ since he was a kid. Get it it road reliable, polish it up and find that guy.
yeah, if you can find him, he'll be the happiest dude in town. it looks like a real unmolested time capsule with all the right mods.

i'd say, if you pulled up at a bike show with the cruiser and a z1r and parked them at either end of a row of 10 typically cafe'd out z thou, there'd be a crowd at either end pretty quick.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I'm very interested if you're willing to give me suggestions. It's the bike I got so I need to make it work as best I can.
See how the front forks don't have the axle on the front of the lower fork leg. If you change your forks to the design of fork shown there you will reduce the trail and very slightly reduce the wheelbase, that will make it corner better at the cost of some straight line cruiser stability. That would be a good modification to do to your bike in the vein of making it more racer like. The rake can be adjusted slightly by altering the height of the rear. Larger diameter forks will necessitate replacing the triple trees so that is going to get expensive.

Your front wheel and brakes suck by modern standards. A single disc up front with a modern 4 pot calliper brembo brake would be about twice as efficient as that lump.

These are super nice
Notice the huge front axle it wants :/ your existing front wheel won't anywhere near cut it.

I think that's about 4 or 5 grand US$ so far, the rear is going to need a bunch of money too, can we keep going or did I kill the budget on the front wheel?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
yeah, if you can find him, he'll be the happiest dude in town. it looks like a real unmolested time capsule with all the right mods.

i'd say, if you pulled up at a bike show with the cruiser and a z1r and parked them at either end of a row of 10 typically cafe'd out z thou, there'd be a crowd at either end pretty quick.
The problem is that I'm that dude. Like I mentioned earlier, I dont live in the most highly populated area. That bike was up for a couple weeks before I ended up with it. There was some interest in it but I was the most serious. I realize now that was probably because everyone was looking for a z1 and not my model. So people in my area have seen this bike and passed. I wouldn't be able to flip it here. Even if I did some more work to it.

The other truly funny thing is if I mention this stuff to my girlfriend she's going to kill me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
See how the front forks don't have the axle on the front of the lower fork leg. If you change your forks to the design of fork shown there you will reduce the trail and very slightly reduce the wheelbase, that will make it corner better at the cost of some straight line cruiser stability. That would be a good modification to do to your bike in the vein of making it more racer like. The rake can be adjusted slightly by altering the height of the rear. Larger diameter forks will necessitate replacing the triple trees so that is going to get expensive.

Your front wheel and brakes suck by modern standards. A single disc up front with a modern 4 pot calliper brembo brake would be about twice as efficient as that lump.

These are super nice
Notice the huge front axle it wants :/ your existing front wheel won't anywhere near cut it.
Thanks for the advice Trails. I'm a bit discouraged now. Not sure what I should do.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Thanks for the advice Trails. I'm a bit discouraged now. Not sure what I should do.
Clean it up and ride it as it is, your girlfriend will love it!

That windjammer fairing is actually pretty good as touring fairings go it was state of the art in its day, first time I rode a CB750 it had one of those on it. ... that was in 1971

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

These are super nice

I think that's about 4 or 5 grand US$ so far, the rear is going to need a bunch of money too, can we keep going or did I kill the budget on the front wheel?
It's not that you killed my budget. I'm committed to building a nice bike and doing it right. Whether that meant spending a little or a lot. But given the insights of Brad Black and Woodsman it just seems that putting a lot of money in a less desirable bike would be a poor choice. Like dumping a ton of money in a dodge stratus.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I wouldn't be discouraged, it looks like a fairly rare survivor. It's not a plain Jane LTD, .

Put up some more detailed photos. The luggage, dash, backrest.

How many miles? How much you got in it? Where are you?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
If i don't have to do any fabrication I won't. I definitely wouldn't be doing any random uninformed fabrication that would compromise safety or function. I've just seen in articles and videos where people have relocated the battery or electronics.

Again I'm not a novice at fabrication. I know this is a bike but I built the frame and chopped the top to my model A and helped friends to do the same. I went to a tech school to learn to do so. That said, this is why I'm here. To learn from people's knowledge and experience. To avoid mistakes and pitfalls and do what works and makes sense.

If you have welding experience and really like to tinker? Look at bracing the frame. This is a VERY worthwhile mod in terms of personal satisfaction and real world riding improvement.

For the KZ, I would imagine bracing is probably pretty well worked out already and you could copy it. I think I posted on the Kzrider forum about this before...

But this means completely tearing down the bike and going down a deep rabbit hole many never make it back out of.

What is your goal... identify that first and foremost.
If it is a pretty bike, then do the cosmetic mods and don’t bother posting it here.
If it’s a truly better performing experience, then post away!

You might consider getting it up and running and ride it that way for a season as you plan your mods. Thats the best way to identify what really is meaningful for you in the riding experience. Not just a pretty picture on google.

Does any of that makes sense.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
It's not that you killed my budget. I'm committed to building a nice bike and doing it right. Whether that meant spending a little or a lot. But given the insights of Brad Black and Woodsman it just seems that putting a lot of money in a less desirable bike would be a poor choice. Like dumping a ton of money in a dodge stratus.
Yes that's about right, considering the power of your $ right now, you could go out an buy a nice brand new exotic italian sportbike cheaper and easier and just ride it. Your insurance rates will also be less then about half what I pay. & I get the good rate :|

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Here’s the thread from kzrider. Page 13 is where I threw my 2 cents in.

Here’s a pic from that thread

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
20200715_182254.jpg 20200715_182221.jpg 20200715_181928.jpg IMG_40171.jpg
I wouldn't be discouraged, it looks like a fairly rare survivor. It's not a plain Jane LTD, .

Put up some more detailed photos. The luggage, dash, backrest.

How many miles? How much you got in it? Where are you?
I'll put up some more detailed photos soon. I have a few others I'll post now.

I live in Eastern Washington state. I picked it up for $2300. (It is a running and road worthy bike). It's at 24k for mileage. I didnt think that was bad for a 39 year old bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
See now THAT is a cafe racer.
JCW and trails, I'm willing to put in that kind of work. I mentioned this in another post but I went to school for that kind of work, although automotive. When I graduated I worked as a metal fabber and welder until one of our economic downturns. Now I just do that stuff as a hobby. That said, commenters on this forum have highly suggested I don't go that route due to many people messing up the geometry and making an unsafe bike. And it sounds like there would be lots to modify on my frame to get it to z1 spec. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Kawasaki got a lot of mileage out of this frame. Another thought on frame bracing is to look at what they did with the police models of this bike.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts