Cafe Racer Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I'd recommend superbike bars as the only style bars you should use.
I have clipons on my Z1 and it's a workout to manuever compared to the leverage you'd get with the wider superbike style.

Reactions: TrialsRider

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I'd recommend superbike bars as the only style bars you should use.
I have clipons on my Z1 and it's a workout to manuever compared to the leverage you'd get with the wider superbike style.
Thanks for the advice. The Mad Max bikes weren't clipons were they?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
The mad max bikes probably used clubmans. Generally clubmans are terrible, unless you get a set of adjustable ones (I think tarrozzi used to make them? I had a set years ago)
Superbike bars have a slight rise and are wide. They give you tons of leverage for maneuvering the bike.

Stone is an australian film about a detective investigating some murders involving a motorcycle gang.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
The mad max bikes probably used clubmans. Generally clubmans are terrible, unless you get a set of adjustable ones (I think tarrozzi used to make them? I had a set years ago)
Superbike bars have a slight rise and are wide. They give you tons of leverage for maneuvering the bike.

Stone is an australian film about a detective investigating some murders involving a motorcycle gang.
Awesome! I'm going to be in the dark about most members comments for a while I get the feeling.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
So I've posted a couple time on the KZRider forums and I straight up suck there as well. Members seem to be pretty offended there that I'd want to do anything to an original survivor bike. It was mentioned here as well and I completely understand where the comments are coming from but it's the bike I've got. I'm almost left thinking I need to hold on to it for a year until it's not so fresh off the sales block and sell it for a bike in worse condition that people will be more willing to help me with. The downfall of that was I wanted to do any work over the winter so I can have a full riding season come spring.

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
So I've posted a couple time on the KZRider forums and I straight up suck there as well. Members seem to be pretty offended there that I'd want to do anything to an original survivor bike. It was mentioned here as well and I completely understand where the comments are coming from but it's the bike I've got. I'm almost left thinking I need to hold on to it for a year until it's not so fresh off the sales block and sell it for a bike in worse condition that people will be more willing to help me with. The downfall of that was I wanted to do any work over the winter so I can have a full riding season come spring.
See here's the thing, you know all that stuff about bone lines, pod filters, no fenders, LED lights, clown shoe tires, powder coat on chrome, seat hoop, USD fork on an old bone, side mount license bracket, Mojave tank, brown saddle open headers with exhaust wrap. It's all just a bunch of bullshit to flog old bikes, online parts and stimulate the theft of modern sport bikes. Just make the bike you have work real good and then modify it to make it even better, none of that cafe fad **** is real, those guys don't really ride, they are just playing mister dress-up. The guys here are mostly gear heads, racers and other unsavoury motorcycle types.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I get that now. I realize the perception of me is a know-nothing punk chasing a fad. The only true part of that is being a know-nothing. Im not stubborn and I'm definitely not trying to pick fights with members here. I did come here thinking all those bikes on the net and youtube were modern day versions of what riders did back in the day but this forum set me straight. I got diverted from my original path of building a late 70's/early 80's custom bike like in the movie I've mentioned too many times by those fad pictures and videos. I know better now. I've also learned I bought a really nice example of the wrong platform to do what I want and people aren't stoked by that. I also feel that even had I bought a more appropriate bike I'd still be working on earning acceptance here. That's fine by me. If I have to take some shit to get some insight and learn a few things then so be it.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
It's like taking medicine as a kid. you just have to get past the initial gag reflex. it'll get better...

The bike you picked is fine. It'll just will cost you more if you want better performing forks.
Not sure if this will make sense to you but some manufacturers built their "chopper" bikes (not the right term, I know) or cruiser bikes with the exact same geometry as their standard bike. The offset forks were for the cruiser look but then they corrected the geometry with more offset triples so you end up with the same numbers for rake and trail.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
It's like taking medicine as a kid. you just have to get past the initial gag reflex. it'll get better...

The bike you picked is fine. It'll just will cost you more if you want better performing forks.
Not sure if this will make sense to you but some manufacturers built their "chopper" bikes (not the right term, I know) or cruiser bikes with the exact same geometry as their standard bike. The offset forks were for the cruiser look but then they corrected the geometry with more offset triples so you end up with the same numbers for rake and trail.
It makes sense jcw. I'm picking up the info you all are giving me and putting it all together. Ill get there. I'm in no rush to build a crappy unsafe bike.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Go get an early ZRX 1100 swing-arm, front end and a Kosman Specialties frame brace kit. The swing-arm will bolt up, you will need to swap out the steering stem to the KZ stem then weld in the frame braces and your done. if you want to
make it even easier get the ZRX rims, rotors and calipers, plus then you can get modern tires and the frame will not twist AS BAD. Forget any pipe dreams of a monoshock on the KZ, I'm pretty sure the Japs made them out of spaghetti. Was that politically incorrect, well fuck it and don't make fun of my shocks they are just for fit-up
IMG_0458.JPG IMG_0459.JPG

·
Registered
312 Posts

Someone raced Kawasaki's with leading edge forks back in the late 70's early 80's can't think of his name.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It is always good to have at least one bike running while working on another one. I would just keep that one as a cruiser and find another bike to put time and effort in. I am sure it would be great for long rides just not sport.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts