Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows it going I have an 82 kz750 and need help. What can I do to convert it to clip ons while replacing the ugly top triple tree that holds handlebars. Or thinking of going upsidown forks and if I do that where could I get a triple tree to fit the bike and upsidown forks. The theme is flat black and gold i have the seat and hoop made already 24" frame to hoop. I will try and add pics as I go just a little overwhelmed trying to find handlebar controls.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Gotta tell ya, the entire concept of modern USD forks on an 1980's UJM frame and rear suspension is synonymous with transplanting the front wheels, brakes and suspension from a modern Ferrari onto a Volkswagen Beetle.
Can it be done, yes. Is it a good idea :/ no it's a silly idea, but lots of people do it. It's the driving force behind sportbike theft insurance costs going through the roof and it will make your otherwise uninteresting UJM a prime target for parts thieves.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh so no help at all it's a cafe racer forum what the hell are u doing here if not to put CAFE RACER PARTS ON OLD JAP BIKES?????? ILL TRY and type slow but my mom used to say if you don't have anything nice to say then say nothing so saying I'm the reason your insurance is to high bc I like to put nice parts on old bikes....... ya right buddy bikes are stolen bc they are easy to strip I've seen everything from a 50 fricking cc Honda to a 50,000 dollar Ducati get stolen and neither have cafe parts.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
If you don't think sport bikes are being targeted for their suspension parts and brakes to satisfy your market, where do you think those parts come from, they fall off a fork truck?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I don't understand the point are you saying that the cafe racer market is forcing people to steal brakes and suspension I guess no one makes new suspensions for old bikes anymore. Or are you saying that every cafe racer website that sells the shit out of all those parts is all stolen??? Gtfo here man do you have anything constructive to say about my question???? If not stop waiting my time please.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I'm saying it's a dumb idea to put a modern USD sportbike front end onto an old bone motorcycle. What are your plans for the rear suspension and brakes? What are you going to do to make the frame handle the additional stress when you start running real tires up front :/ that totally mismatch the rest of the bike, you going to make it work?
Can you even ride motorcycles or is this your first?

We've seen lots come through here and on some you can still see the marks where the ignition was removed with a large hammer and screwdriver.
Go to a real motorcycle scrap yard and you will have a much easier time finding R1 rear ends then fronts, particularly pristine ready to ride complete front ends, do you seriously thing they get rear ended all the time? People plow them into things at high speed, front ends are rare.
You going to fork out for brand new Ohlins then I will be impressed. They have a fork that is far better suited to your old KZ.

If you have a real world motorcycle problem, give us a holler, otherwise stop waisting our time!
Read the read me intro for the site.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perfect example of what I want my front end to look like I have brand new rear black and gold shocks it's a giveaway bike and yes in updating brakes frame electronics all the works but I'm not having an issue with that it's the front end which is why I'm here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mean are you hating bc you don't have the time patient's and money to completely update a bike with all new parts instead of Tearing old parts off of wrecked bikes which if parts are good nothing wrong with

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
No I been doing this motorcycle thing long enough I now have nice new motorcycles.
What you showed there is nothing special, they replaced everything from the steering stem forward.
That's one bolt that hopefully when you are finished is going to firmly support 2 taper bearings in the headstock. It's stuff I was doing before my balls even dropped.

Is the colour of your shocks why you bought them?
I buy shocks when it is an upgrade and seriously don't give a crap what colour any part is if it works great. If you did not buy a brand name you probably bought knock offs of knock offs.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I mean are you hating bc you don't have the time patient's and money to completely update a bike with all new parts instead of Tearing old parts off of wrecked bikes which if parts are good nothing wrong with
Get a grip now. His trials bike is likely worth more than you could spend on your chopper.

Isn't your bike a twin cylinder cruiser?

"Perfect example of what I want my front end to look like"...that one doesn't look like it would work well.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
3 trials bikes, you should come riding some time.

I been looking at it ... that bike he showed
not sure it would make it into my driveway unless it was on a trailer, or I didn't care about dragging hard parts.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
OP are you going to stick with the stock pegs too, that seems to be a pretty popular format
it's a totally useless riding position.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm looking for honest helpful answers not shit talk so please if your not start enough to help me figure this out then say nothing IC cafe racers all the time with upside down forks don't understand why this is an is an issue whatsoever You would think the motorcycle community would be supportive and say yeah do all the kinds of crazy ship that you can do whatever you want and clearly it has been done before

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Sure! np, google up Ohlins Retro 43 that is an awesome fork upgrade worthy of some custom billet triple trees.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Next problem is your front wheel and rear wheel, what are you planning to run for tires. Your axle is going to need to be bigger then original no matter what upgrade forks you go with. You want performance rubber, you are going to need to ride on 17 inch rims and you will have a limited range of tire widths to choose from (that make sense)

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I would strongly advise you go with a single disc, 4 piston brake up front, that would be appropriate to the conceivable performance and weight of the proposed bike.

That stuff you can likely find at a scrap yard (y)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Just because there are some who have done it doesn't mean it should be done or endorsed. Most of the "cafe racers" you see are shit to ride. They are put together to look a certain way with zero thought given to how it will work as a motorcycle. It won't matter one iota what the colour scheme if it is a piece of shit to ride.

You'll need forks/tire combination that is the same length. Both triples. Get bearings from All Balls according to their conversion kit. Buy clip ons sized for forks. Cables/hose that's long enough.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The ohlin 43 isn't upsidown may I ask why your opposition to them and yes I will be upgrading brakes

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The ohlin 43 isn't upsidown may I ask why your opposition to them and yes I will be upgrading brakes
The USD forks are virtually inappropriate to your frame. Those are awesome and well suited.

My next question was going to be what are you doing to the rear? You can't fit modern performance tires on that swingarm.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts