Cafe Racer Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
TrialsRider,
Been my experience that often times when you get two motorbikes on the same curvy stretch of pavement they're all "RACE BIKES" At least it sure seems that way here in northern California every Sunday morning on Highway 1.
Just saying.
Cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Lol same here in the valley I'm hoping to just build a good well working bad ass bike ride it for a while and then give it away on my youtube channel I just started it a few weeks ago and then wrecked my main ride last week so I'm out of commission for riding

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
TrialsRider,
Been my experience that often times when you get two motorbikes on the same curvy stretch of pavement they're all "RACE BIKES" At least it sure seems that way here in northern California every Sunday morning on Highway 1.
Just saying.
Cheers
:D I know highway #1 ja ja ja comience la carrera!

I ride Race bikes, not Allshownogo bikes!

·
Registered
57 Posts
:D I know highway #1 ja ja ja comience la carrera!

I ride Race bikes, not Allshownogo bikes!
TR,
If you know Highway 1 in this area you know that it is a great and fairly clear road especially early on Sunday mornings. I went to college in SoCal so I've had a chance to ride the three big deal Sunday morning rides in the state. The RockStore, Alice's Restaurant (yep it's the one from the song "you can get anything you want at Alices's Resturant") and the Sunday Morning Ride (SMR). Each are unique The RockStore has a lot of cruisers but also a fair share of sport bikes. I don't know how it is today but years ago when I was down there people would bring snacks and park near the tough turns just to watch the get offs. The up side was you would run into people like Jay Leno, Peter Fonda and the like. Not a great place if'n you really wanted to go fast; many posers in the way. Now at Alices's (South of San Fran.) is the hang out for the rich biker crowd. If you are looking to see the newest trickiest, most expensive race replica this is the place. I saw my first, on the hoof Bimota at Alice's that and my first ever factory built Harris's CafeRacer. The SMR is the ride where people don't hang out at. They ride from Tam Junction up the coast (35 miles) to have breakfast and then on north to Tomas Bay have coffee and then everyone goes their own way. The ride draws 50 or so on sunny summer mornings and 5 to 10 on rainy winter ones. I've never been there when I was by myself. Of the three the SMR is by far the fastest. Quite a few of the regulars have done the Isle of Man or gone on to race AMA or AFM. In my younger years I've been, what I thought was hauling ass at the pound only to have some guy blow by me going 40 or 50 mph faster'n me.

I now would love to go and do the Tail of the Dragon that is for sure on my Bucket List.

The race bikes I'm building now are for guys that do that ride EVERY Sunday Morning ! One is Wade Boyd (IOM vet) and I rode with his father who had done the IOM 45 years ago. It's a good place to watch the boys ride and learn their styles. It also lets me help; and thus learn; how to set up their suspension, what tire pressures work best in what conditions. This on roads that are far closer to the types of tarmac that we will race on at places such as the IOM or the Southern 100. Purpose built tracks are great and we love doing races there but you do need to learn to..............."adapt" when it comes to Real Road Racing so I've been rather lucky to have the SMR to improve my skills.

Cheers
Rich

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I've been fortunate to have traveled the USA lots over the years (y) the place I'd like to return to the most is Sequoia National Park, last time I tried it was too early in the season, they said they still had too much snow lol like a freakin Canadian would care about snow.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been fortunate to have traveled the USA lots over the years (y) the place I'd like to return to the most is Sequoia National Park, last time I tried it was too early in the season, they said they still had too much snow lol like a freakin Canadian would care about snow.
LOL Ya totally understand being from Colorado. One year wife and I tried to ski at all the famous places. Only place we got stopped and had to spend two days in a motel was Highway 80 at Donner Summit. Worst part it was the least amount of snow we'd seen in two weeks.
Cheers

81 - 88 of 88 Posts