Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am new to this cafe thing, well this is the first time i have built one. I came to the classic bikes from a 02 aprilia. So after lurking on this forum for about a year finally got around to getting a user name and last month purchased a new bike. Kawasaki kz750 twin think 79? not sure would have to check, picked up on the CL for 175.00 needed batt and gas, really! starts on second good kick or starter works, runs good and already removed the rear fender, Got to get rid of the horrible seat and putting on bars this weekend also removing the signals.

·
Registered
968 Posts
$175 - Where's the rust? oil slick? mouse nest? bee hive? did you mean $1175 ?

Did you get a title? If you did, well done, nice score. Even if you didn't id say you did alright.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the guy i got it from was a friend from work who had his license susp for something dumb for a year and then was fired, guess he needed the money, and yes it had title but not registered for about a year.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
man, that is one hideous seat. nice score, though.

there are some here who will describe this bike as the most horrible thing that's ever happened in motorcycle manufacturing, but it's hard to argue with the price tag here. parts should be cheap, too!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
man, that thing is ugly.... But it does have potential. And it's a 750 twin which has got to be a good place to start.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Nice bike. Why would you take the turn signals off though? If you don't like the way they look, you can shorten the stalks.
But I wouldn't throw away function/safety just for the sake of trying to get it to look like something else, which it won't by just doing that.
Anyway, nice score, ride it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First off the seat is horrible but have reupholstered it and got it looking better not perfect though. And as far as the turn sigs go i am removing them and putting smaller one on not totally getting rid of them not that stupid :) will put more images online this weekend when i get to it and do something.

·
Registered
602 Posts
OK, I'm a little confused here. In your first post you say you are getting rid of the seat, then in your last post you say you have reupholstered it. You aren't keeping that seat for a cafe build are you?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
No way man...use it for a sofa!
Nice score for the money man!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok clarification gonna keep seat pan and foam for now till I can get better one just shaved the foam down and covering it myslf till I can afford a better seat and get to converting to single person. I have changed my mind so many times in the mats few days don't hold me to anything I say. Tho I am fairly sure on this seat thing so far.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Looking at that seat, you can see that the Japanese are very forward thinking. They knew that Americans are just getting fatter, and with that comes big asses that need big seats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok for an update, got that seat recovered for now to something less ghey. Added the clubman bars to it and took of the turn signals but have not put on the micro ones i picked up. the seat has better lines now tho its upholstery job is shite because i suck at it. putting the bars on it made it so much nicer to ride a lot more like the bikes i am used to riding. also did some minor stuff like adjusted headlight and bled brakes to make em work gooder.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Good start, now cut some more out so that the passenger seat is basically at the same height as the duck tail and teh rider's seat is slightly lower. That should clean it up even more IMHO.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Good start, now cut some more out so that the passenger seat is basically at the same height as the duck tail and teh rider's seat is slightly lower. That should clean it up even more IMHO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2 things. One needs new light old one has gone kablamo! Well burnt out. Two I will always remember to fill gas before going on 24 mile ride thanks guy in harley for the lift. The seat turns out to be less comfortable than expected. Anyone know of a good cafe style replacment looking on web and can't find any specific to it any ideas on one that might fit with some tinkering.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2 things. One needs new light old one has gone kablamo! Well burnt out. Two I will always remember to fill gas before going on 24 mile ride thanks guy in harley for the lift. The seat turns out to be less comfortable than expected. Anyone know of a good cafe style replacment looking on web and can't find any specific to it any ideas on one that might fit with some tinkering.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Can you just remove the foam and cover and replace it with flat foam built up to the desired thicknesses or is the base a mess too.?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts