Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got new tapered bearings for the CB450 i'm working on. i start to install them and didn't read any instructions.

i press the lower portion on to the stem. it goes on pretty wheel. press the top race into the neck on the bike.

bottom doesn't reach top. grab instructions....
"may need to use spacers on certain models."

crap. any ideas to get the bearing off the stem without damage? or should i just try to cut it off and buy another bearing?

this shit happens to me from time to time, although less frequent as i have gotten older.

i'm leaving everything where it is and going to drink now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just put the stem in the freezer for an hour to shrink the steel,
then put some heat to the race with a propane torch & use a couple of screwdrivers to pop the bearing up!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
well it's a really good idea to polish the stem and make sure you have a 'just will slide' line to line fit before installing them

all it takes is a small burr to have them end up being nearly locked onto the stem

for stuff I am mocking up to get spacer dims and things like that

I have been known to make 'mock up bearings' by grinding or polishing the ID or OD (whichever makes assembly and disassembly fast/easy) if it's something I'll be doing several times

like maybe making crank bearings that slide fit instead of press fit for the purpose of shimming/locating the crankshaft

good luck getting them apart

·
Registered
4,721 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I'd say you should be able to carefully knock the race back out with a long drift punch. It really shouldn't take too much effort. I've done the same thing for various reasons, and never had an issue with the race being damaged.
Besides, as long as you can tap it back in and get a reasonable amount of tension on it when you do the final adjustment, it will be better than what was in there.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i got the bearing off, but it got very slightly deformed. I need to find a 30-50H tappered bearing in town locally or just buy another set.

I don't think anyone around here sells bearings like this, esp on a saturday. I was able to get a chisle head in between the bearing and the lower triple tree and lightly tap until they spread apart. But then the chisle moved slightly and bent the roller retainer and thats all it took.

so i'm not set back much money-wise, just time which is almost worse.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Sorry, I didn't RTFQ in your first post, I thought you were talking about the race in the frame.
Anyway, many of those bearings cross reference to common bearing sets. You should be able to call an auto parts store and ask them to cross reference the number on the inner bearing race. You might get lucky.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i actually ended up using it. the part that got bent slightly doesn't do much but hold the rollers in. assembled, everything feels fine so i'm going to roll with it.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
that's probably what I'd do. Get everything loaded and the cage will surrender allowing the roller to locate. tremendous load but very slow roller speeds

quote:Originally posted by pampadori

i actually ended up using it. the part that got bent slightly doesn't do much but hold the rollers in. assembled, everything feels fine so i'm going to roll with it.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I agree, you should be fine. I don't believe you are the first person to ever do this, not that I would know from experience. But I do know that a chisel worked between the race and the lower triple will move the bearing.

Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts