Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yea, a small oil cooler couldn't hurt though, I have the mechanical timing advance and pickup coil from an old honda 3-wheeler, and the cdi, think all I need is a stator made for a cdi, stator on the kz is only made for charging I think

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You could always use a DC cdi. Lots of GY6 based scooters use this. Beware some use an AC cdi that requires a stator, but alot use the DC unit (on DC units the two pin connector usually only has one wire...). But, being that the KZ is a streetbike and has a battery, you could use the DC cdi running off of your charging system. No promises that the advance curve is right, but there are adjustable units that change where the advance starts for cheap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've thought about the dc cdi, but I figure if I am going to run the kz/klt 250 crank, I might as well run the stator from 1 of the motors too, I should be able to wire a cdi up to the stator

- - - Updated - - -

every 4 valve dual cam head I find on ebay is liquid cooled, I can not find an air/oil cooled 1

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I move the frame around the other day. Does that count?

·
Registered
13 Posts
haha, I got this 1 200 running, been riding it around, doesnt really seem to have enough power for the stock 15/40 sprockets, will be awhile before I can afford to buy the 300ex piston and bayou top end, probably go with the lakota top end for the better cam when I can afford it lol

- - - Updated - - -

haha, I got this 1 200 running, been riding it around, doesnt really seem to have enough power for the stock 15/40 sprockets, will be awhile before I can afford to buy the 300ex piston and bayou top end, probably go with the lakota top end for the better cam when I can afford it lol

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I hope to get back on it this year. I have been building a new shed/shop/moving a garage to my place. So hopefully i will have facilities to do more soon.

I may end building a few odd and end bits for these old girls if anyone is interested. Not a whole lot of demand out there though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
May have found a big bore piston to use with the bayou cylinder, kawasaki mule 76mm piston, uses the same wrist pin as a kz250, just not sure if the piston height is right

- - - Updated - - -

May have found a big bore piston to use with the bayou cylinder, kawasaki mule 76mm piston, uses the same wrist pin as a kz250, just not sure if the piston height is right

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Nice! What model of mule?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I've also got an old kl250 with failed camshaft. Since both the bearing surface and tappets are heavily scored i suspect oil starvation. Did you ever figure out what caused your carnage?
Would also really appreciate if you got the images working again since I too will probably use a klf300 head instead of original.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Hi

I've also got an old kl250 with failed camshaft. Since both the bearing surface and tappets are heavily scored i suspect oil starvation. Did you ever figure out what cased your carnage?
Would also really appreciate if you got the images working again since I too will probably use a klf300 head instead of original.
He hasn't posted in a few months, might be better to send him a pm, it will show up in his personal email.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I am in the process of restoring a '79 kl250 and have been reading this thread religiously!

Thinking of doing the swap to a 300 also. Did you ever get a response from the OP in PM's?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I actually didn't get an email about a PM. I will see if i can find the pics. I actually came back here looking for them :(

41 - 53 of 53 Posts