Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Found this thing in an old forum somewhere, tagged as an SL70. Anyone know anything or have other angled shots? Thx.

A

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
by the looks of that bike ......I see what jbranson has been up tooo
Looks like he has built a cafe out of one of those mopeds.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
this is a stock SL 70:

Looks like he braced the frame and built his own bodywork. tough looking little race bike.

I don't think those SL70s were fast, and furthermore I think they were the same motor that powered the ct70 "trail 70" monkey bike.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
don't think that's a Branson bike, he would not have that exhaust, and also the tank is too pretty. also no front fender like that.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
SL70 engine, frame is completely fabbed, rear hub looks to be SL70, front hub looks CB160.

I guess how fast they are is just a matter of how determined you are. Mary's bike uses the same engine. Fast enough for two championships and counting.....with the right money spent on the engine.

If you want to make them go fast and you have a really fat wallet. DOHC 4 valve heads are available, as are six speed close ratio gearboxes, dry clutches, big bore kits to 100+cc, all manner of very exotic internals....and superchargers.

The orignal SL70 with the manual four speed will stomp a brand new XR70. (not XR75).
JohnnyB

Pics of Mary's SL can be seen here:
http://www.jrbranson.com/HondaRacer/honda/progress_photos_12-06.htm

·
Registered
687 Posts
branson, the i'd like to know how you extended the swing arm on that bike. looks like you just stretched it with another piece of tube. is there anything you can see in the photo's?

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
687 Posts
alex, in keeping with the tradition of veering off on tangents here is a shot of the shock mount adaptation i mentioned.

shit i guess that's really two tangents in a row.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's slick, I'm saving that pic for future reference.

Yeah, I couldn't decide if the frame was fabbed or modified... it does actually look pretty similar to the original SL70 frame with added braces, but then there's the extended rake.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
thats the 2nd time that bike has shown up on a board im on in this week.

jc

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
lets see......two veering off tangents ...heads you back to the way you came.

What kind of fun would we have reading veeringless tangents...keep the veering tangents coming this place thrives on them.

In the words of Homer Simpson...mmmmm veering Tangents.....mmmmmm!!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Branson did you modify Marys bike frame or you buy it like that .just looks more racy doesnt it.My axium has always been if it looks right it is.Looks right to me.

And because it was blue that thread starter bike,, reminded me of Bransons work, Right off!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I am not sure if the neck has been racked or if it is just the triple trees and front end he is using. I am pretty sure it started life as a stock sl70 frame because the down tubes take that weird bend just under the motor which I imagine is very hard to do without pinching the tubing.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
quote:If you want to make them go fast and you have a really fat wallet. DOHC 4 valve heads are available, as are six speed close ratio gearboxes, dry clutches, big bore kits to 100+cc, all manner of very exotic internals....and superchargers.
where did you see supercharger and 4 valve heads? i would love to see that.....should fit on my CB125....

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quote:
I am not sure if the neck has been racked or if it is just the triple trees and front end he is using.
...and that brings me to something I've been curious about for awhile: can you increase the rake with fabbed triple trees? Do the fork legs have to be parallel to the downtube, or would extending the rake by changing the angle of the forks through the trees make for unstable cornering?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the short answer is yes you can change the rake with fabbed triple trees. In fact the HD aftermarket has a variety of trees that can give you additional rake of 1 to 15 degrees. The tubes do not have to be parallel to the headstock but your trees do have to compensate for their angle.

once you start playing with rake trail inevitably follows. With adjusting the trees the more rake you have the more trail you are going to have because trail is determined by position of the headstock.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Nope that frame is a completely new fabrication...first of all the dimensions are way different than a stock SL which comes originally with a 14" rear wheel. It's a beautiful job, if you saw them next to each other you'd see how different they are.

I lengthened the swingarm by cutting two swingarms...then I cover the junction with a tube to strengthen it.

For the first five years or so we ran a custom frame I built for the bike. But I rode it once and cracked the frame (it weighed 7 lbs). I felt there were to many compromises with the design and I didn't want to build a new one so I modified an SL70 frame. Few pounds heavier now but much "tighter" feeling on the track. Lots of details on the building of the bike here: http://www.jrbranson.com/HondaRacer/mainpage2.htm
Although it hasn't been updated in a while and much of the information is out of date.

Jag, do a search on "Takegawa" should bring up lots of speed parts for the Honda 70's. The 4V DOHC head is about $2500 ...so it would be an expensive experiment to see if it would fit. Can't find the link for the supercharge right now....there was a guy in Arizona selling them. Also numerous people have made their own. As of now there is no big company making them. They run about $1500.

I don't know why no one else in the USCRA is running one of these engines, they go like stink if you dump about $1500 into them. Race cylinder head about $300, carb/intake $100, race clutch $400, close ratio gears (1st and 4th) $100, Mag/CDI $300, pipe $150, alloy cylinder $100, race crank $150. Prices have come down a lot since we built Mary's...probably have $3k into the engine.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
looks like you need to replace the tank with something lighter and more appropriate for road racing

ha ha

matt

latered

1 - 20 of 20 Posts