Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow chopaholics, I recently decided it was time to build a Street Tracker, prices for older single pot thumpers are a little ridiculous and I personally like more modern engineering and performance, and after a little research I decided on a LC4 powered KTM. here is the bike as it arrived in my workshop.

here is the concept art.

and let the fun begin

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looks like a great project. Are you finished with your design or are you still critiquing.
I am not familiar with the model but I think it will be awesome.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So Let’s get cracking…. First job was to remove the CAT and hang the muffler under the bike, to clean up the back end and make the bike appear a little lower to the ground. Then curve a little bit of tube to fab up a new rear sub frame.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Picked up a new classic Honda gas tank, separated the underside tunnel from the shell, spit the shell in half to remove the old cam lock cap hole, make a new centre piece with a bead rolled hump to go with the new theme. And build a new tunnel to suit the trellis frame with a new machined flange to fit the fuel pump.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the new Race plate, after making 4 other versions I settled on this, allowing me to trim down the ktm headlight shell and still retain a nice case to hold all the front end electrical bits. The priority was to keep the race plate as tight and close to the forks as possible.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had an LED copy of the earlier KTM super duke tail light, which was the inspiration for sheetmetal profile. Two raised ridges in the smoked lens flow into the solo rear cowl.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a shot of the fuel float assembly, KTM use a float tube, which was never going to fit into this gas tank, a quick ohms test gave a fuel resistance range of 10-180 ohm. Searching online resulted in a VDO sender in the same range,
so I decided to make a recessed plate to mount the sender, used a new Harley weld in fuel neck, fitted to a tube, and a cover to clean up the mods. The Eli fuel pump mounting flange was a pain to get right, clear the top of the tank, miss the injection manifold and orient the fuel pickup in the right spot. Later on I cut it out and adjusted its location for a better fit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Things are coming together, I found an old fender pan I had saved from about 18 years ago, that fitted the 17” wheel perfectly, mounting it was going to be a challenge.

Here is a quick edit of the paint scheme I have planed

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like a great project. Are you finished with your design or are you still critiquing.
I am not familiar with the model but I think it will be awesome.
I am always critiquing as I go, the posts are coming as fast as I can right now, presently I am at paint stage. For sure there are ideas I wanted to include, and so far this job has been more involved than I originally anticipated, but I am rolling with the punches, if anyone presents an idea worthy of the effort to make a change, I will happily chop and grind.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now, how to mount this fender? The gap from fender to fork was very slim, so I machined some steel plate, used a fender off cut to tig in a brace bridge across the fender, heat pressed some tube to get an offset, welded the tubes to the machined plates and then to the bridge brace. Finally a little linishing on the side plates to contour the clearance to the fork.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Time to make to top panel on the race plate, tuck the instrument closer to the bar clamps, and add a contour to mount the turn signals to.

The next job was to protect the speedo display from the elements and bugs, so a little shield will do the trick,
this and the little side tabs that fill the original headlight shell will be texture black powder coated to blend with the plastic, and be in contrast to the gloss and matte paint.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Misc bits upgrade, crash knobs, racing grips LOL, bar end mirrors, billet levers, brake pedal pad,

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Folded up some alloy plate for the seat pan, welded on some tabs up front and blocks at the rear to drill and tap threads. Then chopped up the original seat foam and proceeded with a bit of layering to improve the comfort. Next day I actually did a little reshape before making the cover.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Masked up the sheet metal with hi temp tape before sending it and the sub frame out to be powder coated, this way the body work will only need top surface painting, undersides and fender supports are perfectly coated now

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This was my first time trimming my own seat and I struggled to get the type of vinyl I really wanted but decided to experiment and learn on my first attempt, I learnt a couple of things, 2” pleats with vinyl was too wide, seat shape was to abrupt at the rear, and I did not like the textured vinyl, so out I went to shop for upholstery fabric, pad the foam, and 1” pleats. Not perfect stitch wise, but I like the fabric combo and final style.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, thats it for now, we are all caught up, and next pics will be of the paint I am about to attack this week. Thanks for dropping by and I look forward to your comments and thoughts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The tube bending is awesome. How did u do it?

in fact all the metalwork looks very professional

i wanted to do a track build on one of these but just couldn’t pull the trigger.
I thought the used prices were more expensive than I thought they should be worth

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The tube bending is awesome. How did u do it?

in fact all the metalwork looks very professional

i wanted to do a track build on one of these but just couldn’t pull the trigger.
I thought the used prices were more expensive than I thought they should be worth
Hi, I got the bike for a great price, and to be honest I dug a deep hole, not expecting to devote the couple hundred hours I have put in so far, but it’s too late to back out now, I used a friends fab shop pipe roller more like a large radius bender. Made a actual size template on cardboard, and spent about 5 hours bending, over bending and tweaking my mistakes to get this result. If you like bent pipe work? Here is something I built 11 years ago… frame, forks, exhaust, bars, and every cool little trinket with exception of the lights, seat, hand and foot controls.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Awesome... I can appreciate the work... but not my cup o tea...

I have always wanted to do a frame. Copy a ktm moto 2 frame. Now I have a proper lathe I should really try.

Love to see some of the equipment as you work on this build

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome... I can appreciate the work... but not my cup o tea...

I have always wanted to do a frame. Copy a ktm moto 2 frame. Now I have a proper lathe I should really try.

Love to see some of the equipment as you work on this build
Not my style ether, customer bike. I have an air/hydraulic pipe bender, planishing hammer, english wheel, deep throat Bead roller, Shrinker stretcher, mill, lathe, and 3 Chevy projects just waiting for the KTM to be done , 46 panel, 54 pickup, 57 Belair hardtop.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts