Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems like a silly perspective to be taking. Your whole justification for denigrating the OP's plan is because you have defined cafe racer in such a way that staring with a dual purpose bike doesn't match your paradigm. If I were the sympathetic sort (I am not), I would feel badly for you with such a limited view of the world., however, I will just mock the pathetic attempt at making youself feel superior at the expense of some anonymous soul on the interwebs. Nobody said anything about swapping frames. Monkey commented that he had used an enduro frame for his racebike, so I guess that makes modifying a DT100 dangerous. I do agree with you in that the changes you suggested would all be improvements for the DT100 if one was looking to use it only in the way that you have imagined it should be used. Would the bike also not be improved if a complete R5 front end, FZR rearsets, new swingarm bushings, Circle F down pipe, Tannermatic seat and Progressive suspension shocks along with Avon Am26 tires were all installed on the bike? Especially if the intended use was to have a small bore bike to ride around for short trips and personal entertainment.

Also, do you really believe there was much difference between the design of any of the early enduros and a comparable street bike from the same vintage and manufacturer? There isn't, they are pretty much just bolt on pieces. Did you know that honda made 2 MT125s at the same time? The MT125M is a street legal 2 stroke dual purpose bike and the MT125R is a purpose built 2 stroke roadracer, same basic frame and same basic engine. I don't think those bikes have any "inherent design and abilities" , they are just bikes. I guess Monkey violated the design and intent of that poor AT-1 he used the frame from to make a roadracer. The design and intent of that frame was to only be used for street and light trail duty. I also heard that back in the day some people actually raced motocross on the AT-1, crazy isn't it? Any idea what bike was the 1979 WERA National champion in the 410 Superbike class? It was a KTM enduro bike raced by my friend Alex Bub (you can google him) .
View attachment 16531
Oh, look, it even has a cafe fairing on it. He must be a hipster wannabe!!!

Finally, how do you feel his vision is just cosmetic. He has made absolutely no statement regarding his vision, only his intent on how he is planning to use it. So your feelings appear to be another justification to state an opinion about somebody that has apparently rubbed you the wrong way. None of your objections to his proposal have any basis in objective reality and are instead founded on your ignorance and supposition. The history of club racing is fascinating, especially if you were there. What should I do about the XL500S I was racing in the early 80's? It must have been dangerous or stupid or something. I'll admit I never won a national championship on it, the best I finished on it was about 9th at the WERA GNF in 1983, but I saw something on the internets a few years back that had me listed as 6th (I still think it was 9th), but I did win a handful of regional championships on it. But enough about me, the older I get, the faster I was, just ask me.

I can't let the OP off the hook on this one. His pulling a definition of cafe racer off the interwebs and posting it here was also really silly. I am always amazed when people come on here and tell us what we should be, do for them or define what they want to think we are. My definition of a Cafe Racer is to take a bike and improve the performance and the look will take care of itself.

I am done now and want each and every one of you to have a truly wonderful and sparkly day filled with unicorns and rainbows. Shake off the yoke of a narrow perspective and gain the freedom of thinking outside the box.
Alex Bub here. I just found this posting and just had to comment. In 1976 WERA invited all dirt bike riders to try RR at the Milwaukee state fair road course. I was racing pro MX with the AMA at the time (usually finishing mid pack. Good rider but would never get a factory ride. Mid 20s ant too old). Anyways as a lark I put on street tires on my 1976 KTM 400 2 stroke and showed up to roadrace. WERA did not know what class to put me in so selected 250 cc GP class against the fast 250cc GP twins. OK, this should be interesting! Anyways got a great start, ate them up in the turns, was passed on the front straight. I finished third in the combined Expert/Junior/Novice class. Hey, this was fun! I then changed gearing, added better brakes, a small fairing, but still kept the higher bars. So the setup I chose was actually what modern Supermotos use except not 17 inch tires or the fairing. Ported heads, bike now tops out at 117 mph. Awesome. I was honored by WERA as the most Improved Rider in the nation at years end. I continued racing with WERA and rode up displacement classes. I replaced my 1976 with a 1978 KTM 400. In 1978 I won the WERA Expert 410cc National Championship on that KTM and even finished in 3rd at the Mid-Ohio RR against Freddy Spencer and Dan Chivington. At the awards Freddy was astonished I was able to finish in 3rd and keep him and Dan in sight. In 1978 I won the 410 Superbike title and on the same bike was 3rd in the nation in the 650 class and 4th in the 750 class. All on that KTM 400 2stroke. One example of my skills was racing the open superbike class at Grattan, Mchigan. I ran against Kawasaki 1000s, GS1100s, and many Ducatis and 750 multis that day. Great start, passed by some on the long straight. Started picking off one or two big bikes in the turns, passed by someone on the straight. By the end of the race I had passed every big bike and won the race. On the cool down lap all the riders slowly came around me just shaking their heads, they could not believe was just happened. In 1980 I switched to a GS750 in AMA pro Superbike and for the next few years usually finished around 15th out of a field of 60 riders (grids were much fuller back then). My bikes were low buck compared to the factory boys but I still tried hard. I went back to dirt riding for years but in 2002 Supermoto was coming on strong. Time to go back to the asphalt. On a 400 Husaberg and then a loaned 550 Husaberg (thanks Martin Horn of Aero-PA) I won the Open class championship. I switched to a 520 KTM in 2003 and won the Open class title again with Superbikers II. Retired after that but taught Supermoto at Road America plus started Wisconsin Off Road Adventures LLC, an MSF dirt bike school in Random Lake, WI.Still teaching dirt bike schools today at 73 this month and when I show up at any Supermoto track day or RR track day still enjoy passing most of the local hot shoes. Dirt bikes do belong on RR tracks; properly set up they kick ass with a good rider. Sorry if you street riders have issues with being passed by a single with a great pilot. ;)

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for re posting it. I have a lot of older RR competitors and friends who I would love to hear from.
My condolences to Barb Key who lost her husband Ed Key recently. Good friend, fast guy, and I loved racing him over many years. God speed Ed, see you on the other side.
Do you get to ride motorcycles in heaven? Think of the tracks Jesus can design! 😇

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still have that 400 KTM, it would be fun to revive it and do a track day. I do also have a 1980 Suzuki GS750 (816 kit with a very built up lower end and ported heads, etc) I raced in AHRMA years ago. But I really want to bring out my 2004 KTM 450 EXC all set for supermto with the huge brakes and gearing for the big tracks like Road America.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts