Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just bought a kz that's been up in a shed for awhile and I got it to start, and it does fairly easily, but it kinda revs up and down between 1 and 4k (which could be cleaner etc. in the tank, lines and carb) and when I take the choke off it dies...any ideas???? its a 76, probably hasnt been run in at least 5 years

and why does the pilot jet have a cap on it???

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Most likely clogged jets. And most likely the slow speed jet. Usually no way around pulling the carbs and cleaning them good. Pilot jets have almost microscopic openings...clean them very carefully..and don't stick a wire or anything in them to clean, it will mess up the inside of the tiny openings. Use solvent and compressed air.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
yamaha gas stabilizer. drain the bowls with the drain plugs. then fill them with the stabilizer only. let it sit for a couple hours. then, drain it out and fill with gas. start and run. if youre jets arent clear after that, then rip em down. this shit works the bomb from what ive been told. i know a bunch of people who've used it and swear by it. you have to drain it because your bike wont run on it. if it only runs on the choke, its clogged idle jets. very common.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
mike o did it and he said it made a big difference on his beemer. (why youd have to do this on a beemer carb i have no idea) but i asked chris m about it and he said it works great too. i havent had a chance to run any through my bike yet.

jc

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
well thats VOODOO !!!if your bikes been sitting in the shed there is no telling what could be clogging it.Or even know what was in the tank in the ground at last you put gas in the tank before storage.
Stabalizer is good stuff and use it as dirrected but if your bikes been sitting for a while the only way you wont break down a few miles from your house is to take them off and compress air thru ever orvice you see ,after removing the float bowls and check and clean them.lube all linkadge and moving parts besure they are free ,while they are off you can use compressed air and watch the needle valve forced off its seat and clear itself and like Branson says compress air in the jets not with a wire or anything else.
You can try the stabilizer method as discribed here but you will be pushing your bike home.....thats the ussual case with short cuts.....to me its far better to know then to wave VooDoo and keep fingers crossed and say "I fixed it"

But if you want some wish sauce to put in your tank and run thru the engine while its running get and use "Mystery OIl" now thats VooDoo that works and will lubricate the valves and valve guides and wont do anything but help rings and cylinder walls.

So now you have two forms of "black Magic" in your arsenal of after storage tricks.and next time do but either Stabilizer or Mystery oil in your tank before you store it.
And thats VooDoo at its best. George

1 - 7 of 7 Posts