Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I came across this cafe racer body on a 1978 KZ 650 that im building I couldn't find too much info on it other than they seam to be pretty rare. this one is in extremely good shape compared to what I've seen. I dont care for the look much myself so im trying to sell it. there are no cracks or leaks just a few minor scratches and a tear in the seat cover. I believe this will fit many other KZ models and years. If anyone is interested or know someone who is please let me know.
I have it listed on ebay but I'm not even too sure what its worth any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks -Kevin 2013-02-05_00-25-32_566.jpg 2013-02-05_00-25-52_954.jpg 2013-02-05_00-26-24_481.jpg 2013-02-04_19-48-27_494.jpg

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
where are you located?

price?

willing to ship?

I'm interested.

That is a later design - late 70's early 1980s (at least 1977). From the shape of the tail the original application may have been a GS750, though they way The fiberglass works made these back then the top shells were universial and the bottom piece was bike specific.

They didn't used to be so rare, but they are fragile and a lot of them got destroyed in the 80's and 90's as tastes changed. I still have one in my garage, my uncle sold his (that he bought new in 73) a couple of years ago but his was pristine. One thing to consider is that since this is old fiberglass it is not compatible with modern E10, E20, or E85 fuels. The alcohol ruins the epoxy and then the tank begins to leak horribly so it needs to be lined. Most people don't know this because old fiberglass usually isn't all that valuable (I have shelves of old fiberglass racing tanks waiting for liners).

It is a shame you don't like it because those bodies are as "cafe racer" as you can get for the time period, but there really is no accounting for taste amount this new crowd.

There are a couple of fools who have tracy bodies up on ebay for close to or over $1000. Those will never sell....at least not yet. Most of the time you see the bodies like you have they are changing hands for around $300. Remember they can't be run as is and there is a limited market for them. Still yours looks nice and complete.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Also it isn't "Tracy Motorsposts" it is "Tracy Fiberglass Works" or "The Fiberglass Works" depending on the year.

Also it is really helpful to people if you show pics of the underside. you should add that to this thread and the ebay auction.

Whatever petcock is used is what bike it is for. If it uses a KZ petcock then it is for a KZ bike (even if the top is one of the GS750 inspired tops).

some of the factors that make a tracy body desirable:

- Generation: early vs late. The early ones are obviously worth more but the later ones are catching up as the superbike era gets more collectible

- Style: Tracy made chopper styles, racer styles and a couple in between. The racer styles are preferred.

- Paint: Original paint is sought after. The first generation ones are heavy metal flake and candy and some are pretty wild. As these are a wild accessory to begin with wild aftermarket paint jobs are also sought after (if in good condition). As are laquers. Yours comes from the era when they were going more subdued and racer influenced so it isn't as desireable as one of the heavy flake ones but the condition of yours really balances it out.

- Fit: Like I said they used the tops as universal and the bottoms were bike specific. You can reporpuse these for other bikes but if it is already setup for a specific bike then people may want it for that bike. Ones for cb750s are very desirable, as is kz900s/1000s, and triumphs, where as the ones for the smaller bikes (cb450, kz550) are not as desireble but also not as common.

Honestly, the best advice I can give you is to keep it and use it. You will probably never see another one within 500 miles of where you live and these are the kind of speed parts that really get people excited. however you are probably building some mute color, knee dented faux 50's "cafe" whatever bike and that's why you don't dig this.

BTW, is the base color brown or black? your camera makes it look brown in one pic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for your help. It came off of a 1978 KZ 650 I picked up out on some farm in western Michigan. The color is like a dark brown but almost looks maroonish. I'm more than willing to ship. If you have what you think would be a fair offer shoot it to me. I will post some more pics tomorrow. The bike it came off was in very good shape I could tell someone cared alot about it many years ago. The guy I got it from didn't know much about it. He picked it up at an estate sale 20 years ago and was sitting in his barn since. I was really thinking of keeping and using it myself but for the look I'm going for which is more of a brat style and I figured someone else might appreciate it more than me.

2013-02-08_20-16-46_661.jpg 2013-02-08_20-21-32_102.jpg 2013-02-08_20-18-21_969.jpg 2013-02-08_20-16-58_632.jpg 2013-02-08_20-21-50_758.jpg 2013-02-08_20-18-34_635.jpg 2013-02-08_20-17-07_130.jpg 2013-02-08_20-18-44_171.jpg 2013-02-08_20-18-04_450.jpg

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Yu could buy it now for 500, geeto...

item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=121062798137&index=7&nav=SEARCH&nid=03528282190

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I've passed on nicer that actually fit my bikes for $500.

actually I don't have a kz or gpz550 and was thinking I could maybe get this to work on one of the H1s but after looking at the bottom I don't think I can.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Geeto, as the resident expert on these bodies, I have some questions. You mention some small bodies that were made for the cb400 and the kz550. Im not 100% familiar with the size of those bikes, but do you think that either would fit or could be made to fit and look nice on a cb350? Or a kh400?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have seen at least two specifically made for the cb350. Both were the chopper/street tracker "starship" style and looked awesome. Really the biggest issue with these bodies is the petcock placement, the tops were largely generic (4 or 5 styles and about as many sizes). The ones tracy made for the KH400 I don't think fit all that well.

here is the 74 tracy catalog (up to page 32):
http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/manuals/tracy/tracycatalog.pdf

page 11 is the 350/450 body. I think the 450 eliminator body fits as well but there might be an issue with the back end and how the 350 is shaped after the shock mounts.

here is the back half of the tracy catalog:
http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/manuals/tracy/tracypaintcat.pdf

page 54 shows pics of the s2 350 and the h1 500 with eliminator bodies and I realize looking at these bodies that the only ones I have ever seen mounted to the smaller triples were ones made for larger triples. I have an eliminator body for a 1969-1971 H1 and I have to say to use it on a later H1 I would have to chop the rear frame rails - not something I am willing to do.

By the way, I think I will just mention it here I am looking for any of the British styles but especially the ones made for the Norton commando.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Yeah, the bike that Fisher is squatting next to is teh sexx....have you seen an Eliminator body in person?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Only every time I walk into my garage. The eliminator body was the most popular. For a long time I didn't know Tracy made any other styles.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
here is an H2 with one:

The first starship body I found I bought because I had never seen one before. It was a near NOS one for a cb450 in yellow gel coat (unusual since most came painted candy or flake). I didn't even own a 450 at the time. I ended up selling it a month later to a guy I didn't know was going to cut it up for twice what I paid. Like me, he thought the tank was the weak point in the design and tried to replace the sporty style tank with a tracker one but didn't do a good job and ended up throwing it all away.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I thought I was seeing double - one just sold on ebay (a little nicer condition) that looked identical to the one your selling - it sure would look nice on my Z1... but I've got too many projects going right now to fund it. Ratssss.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Sorry, not eliminator, the intruder. I mistyped while having a fiberglass induced lapse of concentration...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Sorry, not eliminator, the intruder. I mistyped while having a fiberglass induced lapse of concentration...
I've never seen an intruder body outside of the catalog. In fact, every back in the day pic I have ever seen has always been the same gray/blue bike that is on the cover - and I look for this stuff. I don't know how many were ever made but I can't imagine it is a lot.

Some of the other bodies I have seen over time, I see a lot more of the XR750 style ones fitted to xs650s than I thought would be made.

It is funny, but a lot of the old timers I speak to think of fiberglass as a shit accessory, so they don't think there is a value to the crappy tracy seat they have hiding up in the attic. I've gotten tanks as cheap as free, and as expensive as $40. I don't know why but for some reason seats are harder to find. You don't see a lot of this stuff hanging about online, usually it is in the far back of some dusty old motorcycle shop or a garage sale that you make a score.

Greg, if you really are hot for a tracy body, I think my eliminator for the early H1 might fit the S-series bikes. If I can find an S3 local to test fit it on I will give it a shot and let you know. Otherwise I am happy to just have it sit on the top shelf of my garage.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I should add - tracy/the fiberglass works weren't the only game in town for one piece bodies. Craig Vetter used to make them as well (afterall he designed the one on the rocket III). Plus lots of home builders made their own for custom show bikes.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Hell yeah, if it doesnt looked jacked or like 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound sack and its around 3 or 4 bills, it wouldt make sense for me not to get it...I have an H1 or H2 tank that I borrowed to get some paint color matched for my S3 when im ready. Its the dark dark green flake...would imagine that would look good on a tracy body with some repro silver/orange decals....

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Or if I can send you measurements of any sort let me know

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
well, let me make sure it will fit an S series first. then I'll send you pics. It's been painted god knows how many times and is currently in red primer but there aren't any major repairs or cracks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts