Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
He's got a proper linkage set up too.
If he has the math skills to manually calculate the ratios or inputs it into a suspension program like Tony Foales', it looks like it might be a well done conversion.
If he just eyeballed it, another fail. I mean changes of linkage length of a cm and less changes the ratio curve significantly.

I would have triangulated the plate to the side rails, personally. Shorter, stiffer, better structure, imo.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
The bolt for my swingarm goes right through the motor, that's what makes my motor a stressed member,
this one the frame is 100% the stressed member.

Otherwise how is the suspension design not just a copy of the pro-link suspension with the bolt points moved way far back?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Two of these is a way better option to a chunk of aluminum with extra holes drilled in it, given that it is going to wear out, I'd buy 4 right off the start lol

available at your local farm supply.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Older Ducati Monster uses a couple of those joints on the rear shock fork. I made a knockoff of that fork and added heim joints to both ends. Makes for accurate adjustment.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

Same design but way better executed.
Unless you smash the dogbone on rocks and it deforms the oil seal, then water gets inside and rusts out the needle bearings.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I recall a couple BMW k1200 r/s bikes having catastrophic rear suspension failures from the needle bearings seizing and the dogbone failing.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I recall a couple BMW k1200 r/s bikes having catastrophic rear suspension failures from the needle bearings seizing and the dogbone failing.
I used a BMW swingarm that came with needle rollers (for the swingarm pivots) no idea how many miles were on it, but based on their condition (with no signs of water or lack of grease) , rather than replace the bearings with more of the same, I make up some bronze bushings. Needle rollers would have been ok for the riding I do, but they didn’t leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Where do I start the Top shockmount has no chance of handling the loads nor does the center stand brackets at the bottom being used for the bottom mount the struts or links are only seeing tension and comp
That extended swinger is going to.need a shock mounted further rearward
As it sits it has too much wheel travel to little spring rate to light on damping rate
Ther top frame rails will buckle no matter what because nothing ,zero had been done to the frame to address the loads

1 - 15 of 15 Posts