Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's funny this is the only forum that managed to find something negative to say...my apologies for trying to bring the old girl back to life and not living up to all of your expectations.

I love it and couldn't be happier with the current product...especially on my budget and schedule. Me, I have an amazing little cafe racer, better than any I've seen in a 50 mile radius and I'm less then $700 into the whole thing.

You guys rock my socks off [:X] kiss kiss

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Give'em hell Jordan!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Should be up and runnin in a week when the fuck are we riding Swagger? Lets go rock our cafe hack jobs around the west side and giggle at poseurs :D

...but for real we should get out for a ride, need to get out there and show Portland what vintage soul is all about [8D]

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Yeah I just noticed your Or-i-gun plate! Cool to see. You'll have to stop by theh shop sometime after august (Can't be before that, I have a "Non-Disclosure Statement" type project that the customer is very secretive about. Should be done by then. Hell, hopefully I'll have something to ride by then besides the Triumph or R1..

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
jordan,

tell these effin' malcontent mothers to go pound sand up their asses. i got a b.f.h. that they can borrow too!!!!!!

you got balls to paint your bike like that, and i think it came out pretty cool.

hell, if you were around philly, i'd let you paint my CB350 stocker.......hugger competition orange!

hell, if i was a millionaire, i'd fly you in to paint my stocker.....but i'm not, so don't book a flight, yet.

cheers,

texy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
quote:Originally posted by texmawby

jordan,

tell these effin' malcontent mothers to go pound sand up their asses. i got a b.f.h. that they can borrow too!!!!!!

you got balls to paint your bike like that, and i think it came out pretty cool.

hell, if you were around philly, i'd let you paint my CB350 stocker.......hugger competition orange!

hell, if i was a millionaire, i'd fly you in to paint my stocker.....but i'm not, so don't book a flight, yet.

cheers,

texy
You rock Tex :D

Swagger, where is your shop and what area of town are you located in? I'm in the Hillsboro/Beaverton, OR

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I thought it was a neat idea to paint the engine in the frame and all the same color, quick and dirty but you know what it is a nice way to get the engine and frame uniform and considering the bike is probably planning to get ridden most of it will chip off in a year or so anyway....

...but seriously, you couldn't take 20 minutes and remove the wiring harness, coils, etc?

Look, I am not getting down on you for working on your bike, hell I think it is great that you worked on ti and you posted pics, more than most newbies and vets do around here anyway, but sloppy work is sloppy work. You spend the effort to strip the bike down that far and spray pro grade primer and paint but you can't spare 20 minutes of unplugging shit?

So you know for next time....you did a good job on everything else but your frame/everything else repaitn is shit. So store your "you guys are so negative" self righteous victum attitude and just enjoy the bike for now, knowing that next time, you won't take such a short cut.

And by the way...just in case you are wondering why repinting the electrical was such a bad idea, wait until you have an electrical gremilin you can't find because it is buried under a mile of paint, or you have to trace a wire that has been painted over. Also it is going to flake off most of the components that get hot (coils, starter solenoid) and make a flaky mess.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Tough to see but the only electrical components that were painted were the wrapped sections of the harness, 90% of the ends have full color and slit the wrap your in business again. all of the othere electriacl components were left because they were replaced the next trip out as you can see in the other pics. I had the harness out once and it's a complicated mess that Kawa stuck in there, way too many weird connectors that could go multiple places, wasn't going three again...didn't need anything to slow this project down.

No feeling hurt here, I was just surprised that's all. Like I said I couldn't be happier and so far 98 % of the people who seen it in one way or another have said the same thing.

·
Registered
699 Posts
the bike is really nice, great job on the build. the reason you are getting negative stuff here is because you are dealing with a whole 'nuther breed of cafe guys. you have to realize that many people here have been building bikes for DECADES and are pretty set in the way they do things. they are just sounding off on how they do their stuff and you might take into consideration the way they do a few things, it will surprise you how much better things are when you listen to somebody with that much experience. i am in your shoes though, i work on my bike in my dining room if i can't make it 50 miles to the shop. i had to use a cresent wrench to get the motor out of my bike the other day for crying out loud! you do the best you can and get it on the road, but just remember that in just about everything you do, you can do things a little bit better the second time around. i hurried my build and painted parts before mocking the bike up...i won't do that again for sure!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
For a first project - it looks pretty good. Time will tell how the paint on the engine and wiring will hold up but what the heck - you'll move on to another project down the road and learn from this one. I've learned over the years - no matter how you did your project, there is always someone out there that does it just a little better and gets a little better results. If your happy with the project than that's all that counts. As long as it's safe for the road (and I'm sure it is) - ride the wheels off it and enjoy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
quote:Originally posted by valvesprung

It's funny this is the only forum that managed to find something negative to say...my apologies for trying to bring the old girl back to life and not living up to all of your expectations.

I love it and couldn't be happier with the current product...especially on my budget and schedule. Me, I have an amazing little cafe racer, better than any I've seen in a 50 mile radius and I'm less then $700 into the whole thing.

right, right, well being an ignorant tool and "happy" at the same time is certainly possible...they're not exclusive terms, right?. But did you even bother doing anything meaningful to the bike before slathering paint like that? All over the fucking wiring and shit? Not even willing to detach the carbs? Holy fuck I swear I've had dreams of friends running around with skin burned off of their faces because of this.

It's shit like this (yes, SHIT -- sheer excrement, fecal par excellence) that bugs me. These bikes are about respect for the machine. That sort of means being nice to carburetors and valves and clutches and all the stuff (and only the stuff) that makes 'em go. Being old, they tend to require some god damned CARE. The fucking "LOOK" is kind of a distant second and if you do it all right, should take care of itself in the process. BTW how are those club-man's bars with the standard foot pegs? comfy?

But go on, be happy with your proto-cafe bike, rocking your chuck taylors and sensitive glasses and thumb your nose at the haters and e-thugs out there...

By the way, I have a pair of hubs that need a new coat of satin black...can you talk about how you shoot paint? Despite it all, you seem fucking good at it, bro :)

later!

·
Registered
74 Posts
quote:Originally posted by valvesprung

right, right, well being an ignorant tool and "happy" at the same time is certainly possible...they're not exclusive terms, right?. But did you even bother doing anything meaningful to the bike before slathering paint like that? All over the fucking wiring and shit? Not even willing to detach the carbs? Holy fuck I swear I've had dreams of friends running around with skin burned off of their faces because of this.

It's shit like this (yes, SHIT -- sheer excrement, fecal par excellence) that bugs me. These bikes are about respect for the machine. That sort of means being nice to carburetors and valves and clutches and all the stuff (and only the stuff) that makes 'em go. Being old, they tend to require some god damned CARE. The fucking "LOOK" is kind of a distant second and if you do it all right, should take care of itself in the process. BTW how are those club-man's bars with the standard foot pegs? comfy?

But go on, be happy with your proto-cafe bike, rocking your chuck taylors and sensitive glasses and thumb your nose at the haters and e-thugs out there...

By the way, I have a pair of hubs that need a new coat of satin black...can you talk about how you shoot paint? Despite it all, you seem fucking good at it, bro :)

later!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The clubmans are getting dropped for drag bars soon...unlike most of you Honda/Yamaha riders they make exactly nothing in the way of upgrade parts for this bike...it all has to be fabbed. So while rear sets will be amazing they'll have to wait tll next season.

I love you one and all [:X]

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The clubmans are getting dropped for drag bars soon...unlike most of you Honda/Yamaha riders they make exactly nothing in the way of upgrade parts for this bike...it all has to be fabbed. So while rear sets will be amazing they'll have to wait tll next season.

I love you one and all [:X]

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Since you guys love this project so much I figured I'd give you and update.

Got it all back together again. All of the wiring has been cleaned re-loomed while tracking down what turned out to be and intermittently failed stator. It really didn't take long because as I said the colors are all still visible and except for a bit of over spray in a few places its not as though it's gooped on there. The stator tested fine several times before I was able to get it to quit. I snagged a stainless socket head hardware for all of the main engine hardware so when the covers come off I'll replace all of those which should make the engine look more complete.

At this point she'll sit till spring or as soon as I can scrounge up the coin for a stator re-wrap and once it's running a final once over at the local shop to get her in tune and road worthy.

As I said before I'm extremely happy with the out come and had fun the few laps up and down the street before the charging system would let go again, and I truly can't wait till spring.

OH! I forgot to mention. I threw on a set of bars (in the pics) that I got form a local Kawa enthusiast that are far less aggressive then the bars the bike came with. The riding position is WAAAAAAAAAY more comfortable. We'll see how it goes once I get to the riding but I may end up with drags or maybe even a set of Euro or superbike bars to save my back as it has enough issues as it is...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Still looks good to me! I'm a Kawasaki guy though so anyone that takes the time to put one back in rotation is alright with me. Great job and keep it up.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts