Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts

Here's a couple of shots of my last two Kawi's.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Those look great man! I'm thinking I may try to do a GPZ550 resto next...I'm big on the vintage sport bikes. Also contemplating a twin bobber build and with the KZ400 having such a nice frame I may use one again.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Absolutely on the bobber build. I've hardtailed a 400 frame before and it's not a hard job. As soon as you cut the rear supports off, you're left with a nice hoop frame to hard tail. You can even use a ready made XS650 weld on hardtail with a little modification.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Oooo good to know... my wife would kill me if I brought another home, but hell this ones ready for daily status so a real project might just be in order :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
You will like superbike bars if you have to keep the stock pegs, especially for daily use.
How do you like the PDX?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I love it here, but I think you have to enjoy a bit of rain to truly love it. There are very few places in this lovely country that I have been to that would convince me away from here...

You thinking about a move to the good old west coast? Portland is an amazing city. Small, full of life, low on crime, tons of good eats, even more good micro-brews...it really is a fantastic place.

I'm watching that wicked little build of your btw, can't wait to see how it turns out!

·
Registered
185 Posts
i'm not a big fan of the seat; and like you said, you're replacing that in a few seasons. I think your bike looks damn nice. Paint especially!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Man, just realized you're on PNWriders. I missed your thread over there and just saw it today. Kinda makes this world feel a little smaller, feels like most people on this board of on the east coast or midwest.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
What kind of paint did you use? The engine gets pretty hot... I use engine paint on engines..

Here's a kz440 engine I painted. It didnt take too long to not, uh, paing everything. A few hours, of disassembly, paitning and polishing. Might be something you want to consider during hte winter in Portland. Rains too much to ride all the time, unless you're a nutcase like me (rode 365 days a year in Portland, lots of bikes, no car.)
Theres still some bolts need to be replaced with new nice looking ones, but It really wasnt much work to use the right paint and get some nice contrast with the paint and aluminum. Just saying.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I'm actually not a fan of the half painted look. I did however use proper paint. It is Ceramic based engine paint and seems to be holding up extremely well. It's been up to full temp 3 or 4 times since it was painted.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Ah, good. I was looking at the primer and paint and thinking it was regular paint.

(It's ok, I'm not a fan of the "spray everything" look, heh.)

When I get back to Portland, mebbe you can bring it by at our bike night, like to see it in person.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Now that I have the garage to work out of it'll make it so much easier to be able tinker whenever I can squeaze a few minutes out.

I've decided (I think) that I'm going to run a Lucas style tail lamp (sans plate holder) right up against the base of the seat. I think it'll look much more intentional and permanent then the ghetto side mount. The plate will stay there for now though as I'm not convinced I like the idea of the plate on the fender.

(taillamp idea)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I'VE OFFICIALLY FOUND THE FREAKING PROBLEM!!!!!!!!

In the comfort of my dad's garage I had a bit of time to tear in this evening. After painfully removing a couple of stripped bolts and using an impact driver on the rest I waqs able to get inside the case...what a freaking mess.

The chain guide and sprocket were built up with grime and then there was the stator cover...after removing it I found roughly a full tablespoon worth of bloody rust powder just chilling...

Last I checked electrical compnents don't function to well in those conditions so there it is...

With a new stator ready to go in, I'm letting it soak with WD-40 for the night so I don't strip or break any of the hardware and the new stator will be in in the next few days...

...I can honestly say I'm going to sleep better tonight.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
quote:Originally posted by valvesprung

I'm letting it soak with WD-40 for the night so I don't strip or break any of the hardware and the new stator will be in in the next few days...
do yourself a favor and buy some real penetrating oil, like Kroil or something. It works much better than WD40. In fact there are those who think WD40 is evil...

41 - 60 of 67 Posts