Cycle Metrics rocks if anyone in the Portland area needs help. While it was there he also totally readjusted the carbs, lubed all of the cables, adjusted the front brake after replacement, adjusted the clutch (which included straightening the bent clutch lever), replaced the turn signal flasher with on that works with my smaller lights, and redid several sections of wiring that needed attention, all this for the price he'd quoted for the stator/charging system repair!
With cold wet roads I only got out for a brief ride, but it was heaven. This bike has never ridden this well in any aspect. The new bars were perfect, the power was great, the bloody turn signals worked...I wasn't worried about it dying...it was a good [email protected]#king day my friends...a good day indeed...
All that is left is some fresh paint on the new stator cover, a new battery, and a full tank of fresh gas and she'll be road worthy at the first sign of sun...
Well here's the latest project. I took my inspiration from a fellow KZ400 builder. A good buddy had the exhaust ready to be scrapped so I figured I couldn't justify not trying this out considering the cost.
-worn out stock exhaust from an '81 KZ440D
-cocktail shakers (x2, purchased at ROSS for $6/ea)
-1200 deg header paint
-heat wrap (grabbed from last exhaust)
-Duplicolor 500 deg Ceramic low gloss black (same as frame and engine)
Now the 440 system uses plate baffles rather then stuffing/fiberglass to muffle the sound. It gives the bike a throatier sound then the early bikes, but it's still very quiet.
crappy MSPaint pic to show basic idea:
Basically we cut down below both of the upper plates leaving only the lowest in the pipe. There is now only a plate with an off-center hole baffling the sounds and it's loud...but good loud..."f-ing angry gonna eat your babies" loud, but not quite "open pipe, gonna rupture your ear drum" loud
First cut (quickly moved to power tools...)
Then cut the strainers off of the cock tail shaker caps and slip them into position:
Painted the head pipes with header paint (had some decent surface rust and pitting), wrapped em up, shot the "mufflers" in ceramic black, tossed the caps and chrome shields on and.......
For about $42 I'm super happy with the results. The ride I took after a simple test fit felt much more open, sounds great, and and really got the neighbors lookin. As metnioned by a few here the original 2-1 system is extremely restrictive and the angles were horrible, beyond that it even had a tube inside smaller then the piping...
This system seems to pull much harder although I've yet to have a chance to really open it up as it was just test fitted for the first run.