Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals. New to this forum and new to "street" bikes. Always have raced dirt/woods.
I currently have a '81 KZ550 that is having a little stutter/bog issue when trying to open up the throttle. I've jacked around with the idle but that still doesnt do anything for it either way I turn it. Could this possibly mean its time for new jets? Looking to get some of the "snappy" back that it once had. Also open to hearing any ideas for better performance. Thanks in advance! And also sorry in advance if theres other threads talking about this..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got this bike. So I don't exactly know when the carbs were cleaned. The motor was serviced/tuned two months ago

·
Registered
844 Posts
Start with a good carb clean, i mean a real carb clean remove all jets and other parts blast with cleaner and compressed air in both directions and reassemble. Jets normaly don't go bad they just get cloged up with crap and the new gas makes it worse. I'd also check the timming advance to see if its working or frozzen up from age it was very common problem even back in the 80's.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
All that plus check the valve clearances - if any are tight it will not run well at low revs and you will be chasing your tail thinking it's a carb problem.

Do an oil / filter change while you are there and new plugs as well - best to start off with a clean slate all round and not to trust what "might" have been done by a PO.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
We don't even know if it has stock intake, exhaust, an air filter, what...

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
We don't even know if it has stock intake, exhaust, an air filter, what...
True, but when he said "Looking to get some of the "snappy" back that it once had" I'd assumed it was running OK to begin with.....and probably just needs servicing.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
He just got it, how could he have had it long enough to from "snappy" to not snappy? Of course, he hadn't said that in his first post, but did in the reply to your post.

Hey new dooder, IS IT ALL STOCK OR WHAT?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
KZ550 is shim under bucket valve adjustment, hardest part is the 24 bolts holding cam cover down.
I've never done one that didn't need a new valve cover gasket so if that is clean maybe the valves have been adjusted?
It uses 13mm shims, same as Z650
There is a good chance that if the cams were out the cam timing could be off by a tooth on intake or exhaust?
I would strip and clean carbs first though, that's almost a simple DIY job.
They will need sync afterwards

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea dood, its all stock. The "snappy" i was talking about was meaning meaning how it ran about 30 years ago.. Since I was gifted this bike, its always been kind of a turd.

- - - Updated - - -

He just got it, how could he have had it long enough to from "snappy" to not snappy? Of course, he hadn't said that in his first post, but did in the reply to your post.

Hey new dooder, IS IT ALL STOCK OR WHAT?
Yea dood, its all stock. The "snappy" i was talking about was meaning meaning how it ran about 30 years ago.. Since I was gifted this bike, its always been kind of a turd.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Chech the advancer 1st chances are it's frozen up it quick and easy to do as you grab it with you hand an twist.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts