Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I know they make kits for putting them on two strokes. And I've seen some big sport bike "power commander" type systems that use them.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seems like i could add a bung after the collector, get an ntk o2 sensor from autozone and a appropriate gauge and just make it so i can attach it for a run down the street to see where my mixture is lean or rich at. reading online says price stays under 80 bucks for a dash mount auto unit. mine will be more like a tool to be added and removed rather than an additional gauge.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I've always wanted to just what you speak of, would be a great tuning aid....and once you got a feel for where it read, and how it compared to plug color you could stop pulling the plugs, and doing plug chops which is such a pain in the ass.
Course plug color tells you things other than just mixture.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13 Posts
quote:Originally posted by coreyjdl

seems like i could add a bung after the collector, get an ntk o2 sensor from autozone and a appropriate gauge and just make it so i can attach it for a run down the street to see where my mixture is lean or rich at. reading online says price stays under 80 bucks for a dash mount auto unit. mine will be more like a tool to be added and removed rather than an additional gauge.
that sensor and gauge from autozone is gonna be a norrow band reading which is pretty much usless, what you need is a wide band A/F reading, look around this site, they sell what you are looking for. and i would say you need one on each exhaust runner to be accurate tuning. you can do what we do for cars, buy 1 wideband setup and weld a bung into a small pipe with a vise grip welded to it so you can clamp it into the exhaust tip, tune and then remove.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Derek4Real3

quote:Originally posted by coreyjdl

that sensor and gauge from autozone is gonna be a norrow band reading which is pretty much usless, what you need is a wide band A/F reading, look around this site, they sell what you are looking for. and i would say you need one on each exhaust runner to be accurate tuning. you can do what we do for cars, buy 1 wideband setup and weld a bung into a small pipe with a vise grip welded to it so you can clamp it into the exhaust tip, tune and then remove.
What he said, get a wideband. I tried to tune one of my brother's farm trucks with the cheapest O2 sensor I could find. It was futile. If you have a digital multimeter you can hook that to the sensor, don't need to buy a gauge.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
multimeter would probably be the way i'd go, it would most certainly be a tune and remove sort of thing. multimeter is significantly cheaper than a gauge and a lot more useful. i'd have to do some calculating but that doesn't bother me. i have a Kpa compression tester i got cheap at work too. so i have the Kpa to PSI conversion memorized. the metric compression tester is more precise anyway.
definitly one bung per cylinder, as they come in pairs anyway.
I'll get all the stuff ordered i can today. and try to post some pics show you what i get worked out.

also anyone see a use for an oil pressure guage on my bike? (xs400) there is the companion to my compression tester. (i get them below store cost because they were abandoned orders) i would have to drill and tap a hole, but i really want to race this bike. is it something i would benefit from?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
If you don't want to spend for the wideband, even a used one snagged from a late model junk car

you can build your own LED read out to make the narrow bank more useful

I am sure there are schematics for doing this to be had online and I think it's a cheap project

the bottom line is the read out needs to reflect sampling and averaging at a certain rate to slow things down

the narrow bands have worked fine for years correcting fuel mixtures in automobiles and motorcycles

totally doable

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
still don't have an o2 sensor but i got the bungs in, i am thinking about the powerdex wideband tuner from ntk. the k&n tuner i think is narrow band and about the same price. i'll post a pic here after i get the bungs in. after the bungs go in, i can finally wrap my exhaust.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
using a narrowband sensor i produced a reading. idles perfect leans out as the throttle is opened. thats all for now i am at work. but this evening is a repaint, wrap, and official attempt. my bike is just to loud to run it up to WOT at work. i may need to go to the country even. pics soon. i am a bit worried about exhaust turbulance caused by the sensor bungs and the welding. basically they are Y'd into the pipe at the second turn bottom front of the engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts