Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are on the SKULLS group please check out the Lap of Lake Champlain thread. I am looking for some imput.

Anyone on here live near there?

Basily a ride around the lake on vintage small bikes, kind of like the giro but maybe no arrows and hopefully clear, warm weather. Not sure at this point if a one or two day event. If it happens it will be in August.

IF there is enough interest I will lay it out, with help I hope. Not sure if it will be uscra scantioned or not at this point.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
jack,

since i am no longer on the skulls group.....and either is 98% of the current members & lurkers of caferacer.net, could you tell us a bit more of this day tour around champlain? i am intrigued, and even more so if it will be "loose" without rules (i.e. - certain year cutoff, certain displacement, etc....).

i hate playing by the rules.

texy

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Roger that.
I live there/here, and I'd be interested and could help with the Vermont side.
Email me.

FR

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
FR- This could be just the excuse we need to get together for a little play time this Summer. Especially if its as Tex says- "loose"

Leo

p.s.- can't get Augie to bite on the Suzuki. Kids. Sorry I didn't get back to you before now.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Jack,
I have been following the talk a bit and have some interesting route input. Also mentioned to Bob that there is a 'Champy' festival. "What's that?" you may ask. Well, each year up thataways there's a festival celebrating "Champy" where they roll out a lake-monster float. Would be cool to coordinate the 'event' to catch that. Bob also mentioned something about a points penalty for not camping...? Perhaps a new bib could be designed to hold a bedroll.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
"Champy" So it is true, Strempher does live in the lake....comes out once a year...and scares little kids.

Apparently, believers say "Champ" or "Champy" is a plesiosaur. Same as the Loch Ness Monster or "Nessy". Maybe Champ is "Nessy" and is spending his/her/its summer holiday in Vermont. I hear Vermont is a nice place to visit in the Summer. I digress.

Pete

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
If I was y'all, keep it to no rules. Then you can't get in trouble. You're just a bunch of old dorks on tiny old bikes going for a camping trip.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:Originally posted by UngaWunga

If I was y'all, keep it to no rules. Then you can't get in trouble. You're just a bunch of old dorks on tiny old bikes going for a camping trip.
I resemble that remark!

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
all I'm saying is that when you start adding rules, the need for insurance creeps in. This is the US of freakin' A, after all.

And yes, you guys are old dorks. Nothing wrong with that. I'm one too.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unga,

The liability factor is one thing that keeps me from just laying out a course and handing out route sheets to those that come. If someone had an accident I could be held responsible. That is why I would like it to end up being USCRA sponsored.

I guess I could buy insurance for the event, but then we would have to charge a fee, paperwork, ad nausum. If need be I would be willing to buy a few bibs, and put out a donation jar, but I can't expouse myself to liability. Maybe geeto will jump in here with his thoughts.

Does anyone know if the Giro buys event insurance?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These are just my thoughts on the "LLC"

Different classes, like in the giro. 65cc leaves first, 125's next, 200's following and 250-400 last. I want to ride my 74 cb360 instead of one of the 160's, so self serving cutoff 1975 and 400cc. Also a "tourist" non competeing tag along class that leaves last with no limits on anything, except no Harley Hogs(sportster OK so my buddy can ride), though we don't want an americade here

Only route sheets, no arrows (can't afford to drive around the lake three times--once for layout, once for arrowing, once for de-arrowing).

Problably somehow roughly timed, but wouldn't it be cool to have the winner of each class simply be the first one back (wow, talk about the liability factor here!!!!) with a photo required of the rider stopping at certain points along the route to prove the map was followed!

If small bikes maybe two days, starting and stopping somewhere around the middle of the lake, is it Port Kent on the ny side. Bottom half one day, top half the next.

Um, first one back....legal speed limit is 55 mph. I don't think there is anyway someone could average 55mph unless they went 100 outside the towns. Nah, we'd get our ass sued off.

Not saying any of this is going to happen, just my thoughts. Anyone here have experience setting up these things? I set up car fun rallies, but that was years ago before everything was so litigious (is that a word).

Unga, I think we are more like "eccentric mature (age wise) guys on interesting old motorcycles" instead of "old dorks on old little dorky bikes".
On 2nd thought, maybe you are right.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Jack,
Glad to see your aware of the liability. Everyone (OK most everyone) says suing someone that runs something like this is a bunch of crap ---- until they're laying in a hospital bed paralyzed from the neck down and the wife and kids are running out of food, then everybody including the manufacture of the bike gets sued even if it's a Zundapp.
Why not raise the cc to 500 (a more classic number). Then I can leave the 125 home and ride my R50/5 cafed BMW, would like to catch a few Brit 500s on those back roads. And also have room to carry camping gear which would be tough on a 125.
:D:D

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
That sounds more like a yearly ride I go on. A route sheet with only clues at intersections is handed out, and the destination is a campsite somewhere in NE. No one but the route creator knows the destination. Or even the state. Very cool.

But we all sign a liability waiver before starting off. There have been accidents on the way, and people have gotten hurt. That's what happens when motorcyclists have accidents. But they were all the fault of the riders, not the ride organizers.

IMO, there's no need for a LLC, insurance, or any of that crap as long as you keep it as a ride with a small number of old dorks. If you're worried, write up a waiver that says Champ gets to teabag anyone who sues.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unga,

Sounds good. Do you happen to have a copy of the waivier.

Oh, LLC wasn't meant to be Limited Liability Corp, its Lap of Lake Champlain.

If you see Bob Coy, ask him what he thinks of the ride.

Jack

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Yeah, I'm not a lawyer, and neither is the guy that wrote up the one for that ride.

Just hack one up. Seriously. "I will not be an asshole and sue ________________________ or their heirs or whatever the hell else they might be called, even if it is their fault. I will suck it up and be a man. Or woman. Or hermaphrodite. Whatever. Now, let's ride, bitches!"

There. Print that out and have people sign it.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i'd sign that...and then hang it next to my 2004 "cosmo cup" class championship framed certificate.

texy

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
mogu,

good point about the lawsuits. when i worked at a track day club, my experience was that it was the family that sued over everything (when the rider died or was severely injured). they always felt a need to strike out, like you said. fortunately for us, the waiver was bulletproof. what i think you need in a waiver is the ability to counter sue if someone even considers it.

i.e.- "if i or anyone involved in this rally is sued, we are able to counter sue you for complete and total recovery of all damages, we are also given the right to bulldoze your house, rape your dog, set your cars and bikes ablaze in your front lawn, and the champ gets to teabag your entire family....twice....and on video."

let's just say that there would be ZERO lawsuits.

cheers,

texy

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Tex,

Did you ever do anything with that 550?

And I just gotta ask, what is "teabag"?????????

·
Registered
61 Posts
Jack,
A teabag is a small bag containing smaller items that secrete fluids when the bag is warmed up. [^] yup - that's it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts