Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Donald JD and I are here at the BestWestern on our last race stop. We race VIR tomorrow and then get to go home. I'm tired, broke, and I miss cuddling with Tony "the knife" Cocorro. I went down to the track and talked with Tex and Joe C. When we get back, I will write a little race journal.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
yea, yea, yea...Aaron is back!

Ok...almost back. Hey a podium in 125....yea yea.

Can't wait to hear about the races.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
tex and i got back from vir this afternoon. the weatherman lied. well, a little. it was windy but sunny all day saturday with highs around 55 or so. this morning was beautiful and we even packed up in tshirts it was that warm. i think friday night it was into the 20's. it was really cold in the tent. we woke up to partly sunny and a light light flurry. then sun.

i was seemingly lost on the track. i dont know where i finished and dont really care. that works harley dave is riding is fast fast fast. zach, watch out! the difficulty of the track is why i like it so much and i think ive forgotten everything i learned last time i was there. that and it was pouring rain too. tex helped me with a few pointers and i learned i thik three corners pretty well. not near enough.

tex got 2 seconds, both behind roper, in 350 and 500 despite spitting more exhaust system parts, he finished the 500 race, then snuck back out onto the grid sans 1 megaphone for the 350 grid. pretty funny. there was a huge near miss on the start of the v1, formula500 and 350 gp race with a bike on the front row breaking down and 3 grids having to get by. the guy gridded in front of me had a near miss of the stalled rider and when i say near miss, it was so close i backed off because i was afraid i was going to get tangled in the carnage. 350 was gridded last and then v1 then formula500 up front. but micheal pulled it off with im sure a huge brown stain added to his collection. i serously though he was going to nail that guy. we had about 100 feet or maybe more to get accelerating and you couldnt see the guy and just out of no where a guy standing there with a bike. it was scary to watch from behind. i dont think there were any serious crashes, and i think aaron really dug he track. it was great to see jd and darin.

tex and i are taking asswhooppin' reservations now. sign up here to get your ass kicked at summit next month. its going to be great fun!

aaron???

jc

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be there on both Hondas but it all depends on how fast Jeremy can push me. For real, I will have my issues resolved by then. I'm doing all the races on the caferacer.net schedule and maybe more. Good seeing and thanks again for being my race secretary. I couldn't have raced the RS with out all your help and tracking down all the stuff I need.

Aaron

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
yeah, im pshyched about going to summit again. i feel really comfortable on that track now. i hope you really liked vir. i think its just fantastic. what i dont like about mid o is its that huge weekend. but they sound about the same as far as excitedness and difficulty. anyway, no problem about helping to organize that stuff. its what i do. you missed a great dinner though. man, it was good.

anyway, it really was cool to see everyone.

branson, you gonna make this upcomming round at summit??

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
and tell tony about the new helmet rule now for next season. i want him to be prepared!!

jc

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tony and I are going to wear our helmets and the people making the rules wear their helmets. Then we beat each other with baseball bats and see whose helmets hold up the longest. Winner gets choice on helmet.

Honestly I think the helmet rules are good, you need them to change to stay safe, but if your going by just a sticker that says it passes, instead of year of manufacturing and the quality then your a bloody puss bag ass munching queer.

If your Arai helmet was made a year before the start of a new snell approval from a sears special that passes, then thats just foolish. And even more foolish was the fact that are club said its final, end of discussion, didn't even take in to consideration the point trying to be made. The best part was most of the other clubs did in fact go by year on top of Snell approval.

By the way who is Snell, he sounds like some swedish peeney lapper who just wants to be a pain in the arse?

Aaron

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
whats stupid is you have to have the newest best helmet, but is there a leather tech?? no. so guys like bomber dave could ride around the track wearing a paper bag, but as long as they have a new helmet, well thats just fine by us, right??

tony, you'll need a new helmet next year.

jc

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
about helmets: what i don't understand is that you buy a helmet, say a $500.00 arai and never crash on it, but three years later some d-bag at tech says that it is no good any more, because it is past some expiration date (per the organizations rules), like it is a loaf of bread or quart of cottage cheese.

do helmets have a shelf life? or is this some queer way of the manufacturers working with the sanctioning bodies to sell more helmets?

i can see if you have a crashed out p.o.s. helmet not passing tech, but what makes a snell 2000 better than a snell 2005?

tex

p.s.- way to go joe with taking something that was funny and really clancying it up (re: darin=dalton), what a douche!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I answer to anything! Oh and Joe: I saw your reply in the van thread. Thanks for the info, but my main concern is getting rid of that damn van in my driveway, and if I was going to trade, I'd want something that was running...

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i wasnt thinking about a trade, i was thinking if you wanted something to throw together. and you could keep the damned van.

tex, its because after time the foam on the inside begins to degrade. thats what has a shelf life. now 3 years or whatever it is they say, i dont know anything about that. i guess its just and issue of pliability.

jc

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Well thank you Joe, I will keep that in mind. I'm following a couple CB175 leads already.

-Darin
-I mean Dalton.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
now i know, and knowing is half the battle!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO JOE!

tex

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:
about helmets: what i don't understand is that you buy a helmet, say a $500.00 arai and never crash on it, but three years later some d-bag at tech says that it is no good any more, because it is past some expiration date (per the organizations rules), like it is a loaf of bread or quart of cottage cheese.

do helmets have a shelf life? or is this some queer way of the manufacturers working with the sanctioning bodies to sell more helmets?
Yes, helmets do have a shelf life. The styrofoam that is used to absorb the impact of your fat head on the pavement degrades over time. It is also affected by your sweaty head compressing it everytime you wear it, which is one reason why your helmet gets looser over time. Ever see what gasoline does to styrofoam? Every rest your helmet on your gas tank? What do you think those fuel vapors are doing to the styrofoam in your helmet?

Racing orgs have rules that set the limit of what you can get away with to get on the track. The USCRA is requiring back protectors this year. If you don't wear one, your an idiot. If you're wearing a helmet that was sitting on the shelf for 10 years before you bought it, then you got ripped off and your an idiot. You're an idiot if you don't wear armor in the knees, elbows, and shoulders of your race leathers. Hell, impact absorbing foam in the hips is something that all racing leathers should have, and if they don't, you should add it.

Racing is dangerous. You're an idiot if you don't try to protect yourself as much as possible.

<end of rant>

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:
Yes, helmets do have a shelf life. The styrofoam that is used to absorb the impact of your fat head on the pavement degrades over time. It is also affected by your sweaty head compressing it everytime you wear it, which is one reason why your helmet gets looser over time. Ever see what gasoline does to styrofoam? Every rest your helmet on your gas tank? What do you think those fuel vapors are doing to the styrofoam in your helmet?
<start of rant>
Ever drop your helmet off a workbench? Sure, the shell looks fine, but that's only there to prevent the styrofoam from abrading away on the pavement. The foam underneath the shell gets compressed in the area that hit the ground. That spot now has thinner, more compressed styrofoam that will not protect your fat head as well.

Don't drop your helmet.

And buy some good boots and gloves. Will you be able to work if your hands are messed up? No? How about walking? Like to walk? Get some boots that have toe, heel, ankle and shin armor.
<end of rant>

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i always though it was queer that the uscra allows the sidecar passengers to wear sneakers.

i've noticed that i have also been writing queer a lot.

queer, queer, queer, queer, queer, queer, queer, queer, queer, queer!

how many queers is that? a lot!

tex

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:
i always though it was queer that the uscra allows the sidecar passengers to wear sneakers.
yeah, that's dumb and dangerous. But sidecar people are a little f*cked in the head.

quote:
queer, queer, queer, queer, queer, queer, queer, queer, queer, queer!
gesundheit.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts