Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saw this bike on the internet (so the bike isn't actually real) and thought ya'll would dig it. money money money money, MONEY!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
now you gotta wonder if that engine, trans, and swingarm is actually bolted together rigidly

and shakes like an unmerciful jackhammer

or if it has magic elastics

stock they need a third elastic unit under the engine so bad I have no idea why Norton never did it

and my guess is that one may even be larger than 829 since they are so fun when poked and stroked out large

gotta wonder if they are actually hanging the engine from the head

those engines really don't need any help blowing their topends off at all

either approach it looks possibly frail

but as far as I know it may be the most robust up and coming consistent winner on the race track

very nice looking bike but I'll pass on the Baby Doo Verde

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Looks well executed, sweet bike. Also not sure about the color...but still a gorgeous bike!

·
Registered
699 Posts
thanks pamp...now i'll spend the rest of my night cleaning off my key board. that thing is SOOOOOOOOOOO sweet

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i want that green....d'angelo!!!

fucking gorgeous.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the similarity is stunning.

2 wheels, disk brakes, box swing arm, and oh, yeah, thats it.

cool you have an s model.

j

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
well I would just about bet that bike won't hold together long if it's not elastically mounted

even if they rebalanced to Atlas factor

they still shake unlike any brit twin out there and at revs above 5 grand

they will break stuff in a most spectacular fashion

and if it is elastically mounted....... well I'm not seeing it being robust but like I already said

it may be the stoutest thing on the track

have to see it to believe it

any of you guys know anything about Commandos?

that front wheel really looks planted firmly

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Not to be hating or anything, but why would anybody spend that kind of time, money and effort and then hang an old non-unit pushrod engine in it? The XS650 motor is a much better platform.

Ken

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kenessex

Not to be hating or anything, but why would anybody spend that kind of time, money and effort and then hang an old non-unit pushrod engine in it? The XS650 motor is a much better platform.

Ken
that only follows the question as to why anybody would own a british bike in the first place?...followed a cut hair behind by why would anybody own an american bike in the first place? Norton owners are a pretty fanatical bunch, not AMC fanatical, but still pretty into it.

the frame is very ducati-esque. Not sure where that motormount bolt close to the head goes (you spotted that too hack) but given the judicious use of motor plates in this bike it wouldn't surprise me if there was some central bolt on mount plate.

that is a very pretty bike. somebody spent a lot of time on it.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I've owned a fast Norton or two

I had a HPI 940 Big Bore Norton and it was the fastest British twin MC I've ever ridden

try and set the isolastics as close as 3 thou (to tighten up the handling) it would break the frame and other things

I've owned a few fast Atlas bikes as well

the Atlas turns the handlebars the size of ball bat big ends around 5K rpm

My guess is very few here are aware that a Commando has it's engine, transmission, and swingarm all as one unit and is rubber isolated from the rest of the bike

and rigidly mounted Commandos rebalanced to rigid mount balance factors are still jackhammers of a huge magnitude

this is the only reason I question the trellis type frame setup and if it really is strong/robust

if it truly isn't isolated........ that better be some seriously strong laminated moly and going to need more than luck for it not to be destroyed by the first harmonic

if it is isolated........ well I'm not exactly seeing that either

also they will also explode cylinders at revs beyond 7000 rpm and change and I've seen more than one eject the upper end of the engine from it's cases

so hanging it by it's head isn't something I'd do

but none the less

Commandos are very interesting machines and one of the very few viable Brit twins that can actually be dependable transportation without a complete re-engineering and upgrading

they have one of the best cylinder heads (ports and chambers) of any two valve air cooled engine ever built

regardless, I'd like to see more than just some cameo glam shots of this bike

it is nice looking save for the green

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
hack I hear you about the norton isolastics. my 750 commando was a stocker and it still shook like a paint mixer even after I put in brand new isolastics.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

it is nice looking, even the green kicks ass
fixed it for you!

ive ridden an 850 commie a bit. liked it. but didnt have the fun factor my bonnie.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts

can any of you point out what may not be ideal about the gusseting?

according to say....... Tony Foale this type of gusseting it an absolute 'no no'

not on a big monitor right now but it also looks mig welded

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
looks TIG to me. The sloppiest weld still shows a stack of dimes looking pattern.

not sure which gusset you are refering to but in the original commandos the motor was attached in the rear with a bolt on motor plate (z plate) it looks like instead of using z plates the builder welded a plate to the frame. In the old commando they didn't add structure to the frame, I imagine they don't add much here either since there seems to be other motor plates on the engine. The space between them also indicates the builder retained the isolastics, at least in the rear.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts