Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well you need to have a good think about the handling of the bike you desire first.

The early ones with 19F and 17R handled good enough, just.

The 1200's are pretty fast, but they handle a bit like a truck. Like a truck that ends up in a country ditch.

You choose.

Danger, is my business."
Thanks. I'll be cruising with the finished product of this build.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To the OP... Ill start by saying your wasting your time on this forum, These guys are very strict with their definition of Cafe Racer and trash anything that does not fit! However I have to agree on the condition of those 2 bikes I wouldn't pay more than 250 for the pair, but I probably wouldn't buy an 1100 and a 1200. many differences between years. If I was to buy 2 bikes in this condition I would want both to be the same generation so one could be a parts bike for the other. They are also right GL's are more complicated than a 70's CB but they are not THAT bad. Head over to NGW Club for a more receptive audience for your project. Lots of great ppl there and knowledge. BTW I have a Cafe "style" '80 GL1100. I was in poor shape when I got it and now is a daily runner.

Psy

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Actually I think we are kind of broad in our definition because we really only have one: make it empirically function better.

i also happen to think the kind of people who jump onto trends are both stupid and insecure and would rather have the hobby bend to include them than work at making a thing fit the definition. But you are right about one thing, the OP is wasting his time.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
by the way since these are aircooled engines that have been sitting for
? First GL I would have seen with air cooling. :cool:
The 75 was the 'best' for a high rpm though, 127mph in 3rd gear (and 4th~5th

·
Registered
12 Posts
" the kind of people who jump onto trends are both stupid and insecure "

Only took one response for the personal insults to start. Such a welcoming community...

I would also argue that taking a GL and stripping all the extra weight plastic and wiring making it faster, more agile, and better handling than it was before would meet the sprit of what those first Cafe Racers were trying to achieve. By your definition of "making it better" applied to this philosophy would seem right.....unless better to the individual means better wind protection and a stereo...hmmm "better" its such a subjective term ..... but what do I know I'm stupid and insecure.

Psy

·
Banned
4,894 Posts

Only took one response for the personal insults to start. Such a welcoming community...

I would also argue that taking a GL and stripping all the extra weight plastic and wiring making it faster, more agile, and better handling than it was before would meet the sprit of what those first Cafe Racers were trying to achieve. By your definition of "making it better" applied to this philosophy would seem right.....unless better to the individual means better wind protection and a stereo...hmmm "better" its such a subjective term ..... but what do I know I'm stupid and insecure.

Psy
I don't think you got much abuse. Most of the advice was to the point, and from very experienced guys.

The GoldWing will never really be viewed as a genuine café racer by anyone who has any real idea of what they are talking about. CR.net is a Café Racer focused site, after all. And old stock RD350 would leave the best GoldWing sports bike ever built about five counties behind, after twenty minutes of fast riding through the twisties. I must have been away the day some dude decided that café racer sports bikes were officially for cruising and profiling around on from now on.

I'm not down on GoldWings, I'd ride a 1st gen one every day of the week in the city or on the freeway, and If I wanted to eat a continent I'd happily ride a 1800. But I would not ride a 1200, they are way too fast for the chassis' dump truck handling.

"kind of people" , is not a personal insult, but a generalisation.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
23,303 Posts

Psy
It wasn't directed at you personally but if you want to take it that way I can't help that. Has more to do with your perception but I was speaking generally from my personal experiences. Clearly you fit this mold though as you were quick to put yourself in a group that I was talking about in abstract, so yes now I am agreeing with you that you stupid and insecure where as before I wasn't.

Stripping all all the weight off only is an improvement if what you put back was better than before. If you remove 20 lbs of seat and replace it with a 5 lb sharpened spike by your logic this is an improvement, by mine it is not. When we talk about "better" we offend talk about tailoring the modifications to specific use, something the overwhelming majority of newbies here don't understand in their quest for visual appeal.

You complain about this not being a welcoming community but really they only reason you are here is to take pot shots at it based on an ill informed and preconceived notions so you really aren't welcome here. Also where is the law that says everybody has to be a welcome member to every group? The Internet is a big place I am sure you can easily find your own group of like minded people, in fact you joined here just to shill for that group already so you don't even have to search. My recommendation is you go back to that group and enjoy an always welcoming always life affirming existence. Buh bye.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
? First GL I would have seen with air cooling. :cool:
The 75 was the 'best' for a high rpm though, 127mph in 3rd gear (and 4th~5th
My bad, had a senior moment. I don't truck with many gold wings.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts