Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how we doin guys?

First off, I know this isnt a performance question, and....is somewhat about looks, which I know isnt really important, but I wanted to get your guys' opinions here, instead of DTT...(call it respect, the knowledge, the possibility of a smart ass remark ;)..) who knows...

Anyway, Just had my engine Glass bead blasted, im thinking of just leaving it bare, let it tarnish over time, just keep it clean, Thought about paint...but paint will chip/crack/discolor over time.... anyone have an engine they just bead blasted and left it?

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
You'll have to do something with it, glass beading leaves the surface porous and any marks will show real bad (even fingerprints will stain surface)
I would paint the silver bits silver and cylinders black, at least it doesn't need primer

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
You'll have to do something with it, glass beading leaves the surface porous and any marks will show real bad (even fingerprints will stain surface)
I would paint the silver bits silver and cylinders black, at least it doesn't need primer

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Decent engine enamels are self priming, self curing and last a long time.

People sometimes use powder coat but the jury is still out as to whether that traps too much heat in an air cooled motor.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Decent engine enamels are self priming, self curing and last a long time.

People sometimes use powder coat but the jury is still out as to whether that traps too much heat in an air cooled motor.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
leaving it bare will look really awful in a year, glass beading makes the surface really good at holding on to things, especially paint, but it will settle for tar, bugs, oil, etc etc... best to just paint it and leave it with a cleanable surface unless you really like the smell of frying bugs and road detritus

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
leaving it bare will look really awful in a year, glass beading makes the surface really good at holding on to things, especially paint, but it will settle for tar, bugs, oil, etc etc... best to just paint it and leave it with a cleanable surface unless you really like the smell of frying bugs and road detritus

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the solid advice guys...looks like im gonna look into some engine paint....Been looking hard at the POR-15 line....Ive heard good things, anyone have experience with the POR-15 engine paint? Ive used their tank sealer with awesome results.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the solid advice guys...looks like im gonna look into some engine paint....Been looking hard at the POR-15 line....Ive heard good things, anyone have experience with the POR-15 engine paint? Ive used their tank sealer with awesome results.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I do the blasting but then I also just take to the case covers and everything else I blasted with 400gr/800gr/1500gr and then rattle can some aluminum and sometimes, if I'm feeling it, a single heavy coat of Pro Clear. You have to, IMHO use a clear over the painted stuff but if your just going to blast and polish with wet paper, not really a need. Whatever works for you. All the above suggestions are good too.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I do the blasting but then I also just take to the case covers and everything else I blasted with 400gr/800gr/1500gr and then rattle can some aluminum and sometimes, if I'm feeling it, a single heavy coat of Pro Clear. You have to, IMHO use a clear over the painted stuff but if your just going to blast and polish with wet paper, not really a need. Whatever works for you. All the above suggestions are good too.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I use, for paint, whatever looks good in the Rustoleum brand. I'm not building show bikes though, just track stuff, FT's and road racers on budget.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I use, for paint, whatever looks good in the Rustoleum brand. I'm not building show bikes though, just track stuff, FT's and road racers on budget.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, Its not a show bike...and I already have my wheels laced and tensioned, and theyre bare aluminum (glass blasted also) have been for about two years...they seem to have not tarnished...If I maintain them (and the engine) with some kind of wax or oil or polish? (I use WD-40 on my wheel hubs) and they seem to be doing ok...Staining etc. isnt a big deal to me, as I feel if it stays clean (on my part) with the stainless hardware)It isnt going to be ridden in the rain, or winter, IDK how much that will matter, if routine maintenance is performed (with some type of oil/cleaning substance) how down right shitty will it look?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, Its not a show bike...and I already have my wheels laced and tensioned, and theyre bare aluminum (glass blasted also) have been for about two years...they seem to have not tarnished...If I maintain them (and the engine) with some kind of wax or oil or polish? (I use WD-40 on my wheel hubs) and they seem to be doing ok...Staining etc. isnt a big deal to me, as I feel if it stays clean (on my part) with the stainless hardware)It isnt going to be ridden in the rain, or winter, IDK how much that will matter, if routine maintenance is performed (with some type of oil/cleaning substance) how down right shitty will it look?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've had many of my engines glass ball blasted and I can only recommend
you to leave it as it is, clear coat looks horrible on a blasted engine
and as long as you don't ride on salty roads in winter corrosion will
be no issue. Most manufacturers delivered their bikes with unpainted
engines, many of them still look good after decades of use.

Best regards
Sven

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've had many of my engines glass ball blasted and I can only recommend
you to leave it as it is, clear coat looks horrible on a blasted engine
and as long as you don't ride on salty roads in winter corrosion will
be no issue. Most manufacturers delivered their bikes with unpainted
engines, many of them still look good after decades of use.

Best regards
Sven

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Personally - I would powdercoat clear the engine cases and paint the cylinders/head silver. Not that much cooling going on with the cases as compared to the cylinders and head and it has the most surface area visible.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts