Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

its been a while since iv been any sort of forum and its usually a car one because thats what I'm used to working on! But i am currently building a Honda CB125 and trying to figure out what is legal and what is not.

The reasons i am asking this is because i have gone from the standard swing arm and wheel/drum to a custom swing arm and hydraulic disk setup. the issue I'm facing at the moment is where the foot pegs are ( at the bottom of the engine ) i cannot find a good mounting location for a hydraulic leaver setup. an engineer friend of mine suggested looking at having a second leaver on the right handlebar for the brake along side the clutch as its used on stunt bikes etc. I'm based in the UK and not sure the legalities for such braking set ups and even after scouring the internet iv found nothing!

Any advice or help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Jish

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
It would probably depend on the interaction between yourself and Mr Plod when you get pulled over as to whether you get booked or not, but my gut feeling would be its not legal.....unless you get the modification certified by an engineer, perhaps?

Then again, you guys in the UK can get bikes registered without headlights so I might be totally wrong.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I can tell you why a second brake under the clutch lever is a bad idea from a common sense standpoint: think about how you pull the clutch vs how you pull a brake and you are now going to have a second lever operated by the same hand that can easily be hit by accident when you go to shift.

I can't tell you what's legal in the U.K., but there are plenty of motorcycles that have "linked brakes", where the right handlebar brake lever operates the front and rear brakes. you will need a splitter and a proportioning valve but I don't know why you couldn't run a line from the front to the back, cars move brake fluid over longer distances. I mean it's a 125, it's not like you are going to be using the rear brake to settle chassis before turning in at high speed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats something to consider Geeto! as you say it's only a 125cc and I'm not planning on going quick on it or track riding etc, ill have to research proportioning valves and see how that could work on my little bike!

iv got an April RS125 front end on with a hydraulic brake so an adjustable valve may be an idea

i think i should go to my local MOT centre and quiz them on all this first as ill need it to pass an MOT with this set up!

Thanks for the comments guys!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Perfectly legal in the UK to have a thumb brake. TBH it just needs to work and switch the brake light on to pass MOT, you'll probably never use it unless you want to ride in the rain.

Edit: Just make sure it doesn't foul the clutch cable, switch gear and the brake hose is routed properly, no kinks, rubbing etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perfectly legal in the UK to have a thumb brake. TBH it just needs to work and switch the brake light on to pass MOT, you'll probably never use it unless you want to ride in the rain.

Edit: Just make sure it doesn't foul the clutch cable, switch gear and the brake hose is routed properly, no kinks, rubbing etc.
Iv been looking at them this morning and they are so dam expensive! i paid £350 for the bike and the cheapest thumb control i could find ( minus the lines etc ) is £280! i may have to go down this route and thats all i was worried about was it passing an MOT

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats right....as Andy says it only needs to work and operate the brake light so using that you'd need some sort of switch in there. This kind of valve would work for a linked system...
https://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4108
But, unless things have changed and no one told me, a bike needs to have 2 independent brake systems to pass MoT....
Thanks for the comment dude I'm sure i could fix up a little press switch for it pretty easily, so I'm guessing a linked system would not pass an MOT? it would be the more affordable option but if it won't pass its not really an option :(

·
Registered
23,303 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I believe it would be much easier and cheaper to just use a foot operated hydraulic rear brake. It will not be hard to get a rear master cylinder and connect by either a cable or linkage to wherever you have the pedal. Look at how they do it with rearsets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts