Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1980 CX500 last August I have been working on it ever since that time. I have posted my build history on another site and have been getting some flack for chopping a surviving plastic maggot. So with out further introductions I will be slowly moving my build this this site that appreciates Café Racers.

Cheers
Mike M.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I hate to say it...but in appreciating cafe racers there is not much love for a CX500.

I don't know who would give you flack for cutting up a cx500, I can't think of a more worthless bike and a candidate for "real improvement" than a cx500. Unfortunately real improvement is not a bump stop seat and some low bars but actually addressing the wonky rear shock mount arrangement.

I am not trying to discourage you from migrating here, but rather manage your expectations. If you are expecting a warm welcome you probably aren't going to get it for a cx500. Part of building a competent performance motorcycle is platform selection and I can think of literally thousands of bikes that are better suited than a cx500. Contrary to popular belief (a belief held mostly by 20 somethings who know literally nothing) not every bike can be a racer. Or at least not every one can be one with in normal human means available to the average home hobbyist. I'm pretty sure if you were john britton you could convert a toaster oven and it would be race competetive, but not everyone is john britton.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey Geeto67, Piss Off Mate!

I did not ask for your blessing, nor would I want it.

Haha tough crowd here on this form, I jumped in the deep end with out a swimming suit.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I don't know that this qualified as a douche pouser - if you look at his build thread it's quite impressive. It's a Cx500 so that is probably the only time you will hear the word "quite impressive" in the same discussion but one way or the other it isn't a hack build.

I have to be bluntly honest though, one of his big complaints was that people seem to have a lot of negative things to say about his bike (at least that is his explanation for coming over here), but he chose the cx500 platform. I don't know why he is surprised at the negative comments, people hate the CX500 and more so now than ever because of the literal crap that is being churned out using it as a base. Granted his project has shown the most promise of any I have ever seen but still....you have to kind of expect people are going to hate on the cx500 just because it is a cx500.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can see now bringing my build to this site was not in my best move. I had no Idea the CX500 was soooooo disliked among the Cafe crowd. This is a tough group to please after reading thru a bunch of threads. My mistake for not researching this form more fully.

Cheers
Mike

Still going to post all the same. Now just to piss you all off even more. LOL

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Still going to post all the same. Now just to piss you all off even more. LOL
we expect nothing less.

I have to say, your pictures and writeups are above par and make for good entertainment.

Stay a while, this place will grow on you like a fungus.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It's just like someone rolling up on a cm400...hipsters are drawn to them and cxs like moths to a flame. You seemed like just another one. We were mistaken. Stick around...the questions are simply being asked WHY a cx to put this much money and effort I to. Like the look? Guzzi looks similar and is 10 times better, valuable. That's all we are trying to get out of you.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's just like someone rolling up on a cm400...hipsters are drawn to them and cxs like moths to a flame. You seemed like just another one. We were mistaken. Stick around...the questions are simply being asked WHY a cx to put this much money and effort I to. Like the look? Guzzi looks similar and is 10 times better, valuable. That's all we are trying to get out of you.
Learning curve is my only reason. I wanted to build a custom minimal racer. And liked the look of the CX500. That is the why.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts