Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Typical Fox bullshit news reporting.

Twenty states have helmet laws. Does it say anywhere in that report that they have lower per capita deaths due to helmet laws?

Title of the piece is All Motorcycle Riders Should wear Helmets. But in the body they say that 450 deaths could be prevented if everyone wore a helmet. But 3000 deaths could be prevented if there were drunk driver checkpoints. So lets go after the big hitters first.

And the people that read this crap and believe it, vote.

Craig

·
Registered
23,294 Posts
there aren't enough thing to be ticketed for, so we get the equalivent of a federal seat belt requirement (ie as a state you make a seat belt law or you don't get money from the government).

I am all in favor of what a lot of anti-helmet law people call discriminatory laws, ie you can ride without a helmet as long as you meet certain conditions.

I think if you are over 18 it should be a choice, under 18 - not a choice (this is just consistent with laws that offer extra protections for minors but there are anti HL people that disagree with this - I call them retards).

these are the states that currently require minors to wear helmets:
Alaska, Arizona, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

However I also agree that if you choose to not wear a helmet you should be required to carry heath insurance. A lot of anti-HL people argue that this is a public burden law and the theory of public burden is a myth because there are no real studies to quantativley prove that there is an actual public burden. My take is that there are studies (lots of them) that show that wearing a helmet decreases the likelihood of serious injury in certain types of crashes and it is just for that reason alone you should be protected. But then again I think that if you operate a motorcycle without some kind of insurance you are less than smart. If you can't afford to pay an insurance premium, then you can't afford to pay for the damage you may cause.

The states that have manditory ins for non helmeted riders are:
Arkansas, Kentucky, and Texas.

I also think if you ride without a helmet you should be considered an organ donor but that is more of a personal thing, not a government thing - and I don't care what your mythological deity of choice tells you.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I like how the only reason other countries have lower fatality rates are Government backed ideas like speed cameras, mandatory helmets, etc. The tiered licencing based on experience system and MUCH better rider/driver education requirements have NOTHING to do with, nor does the general public's MUCH better respect for motorcyclists in Europe...

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
This reminds me of the bs taught in history classes about the civil war being fought over slavery.

Complete hoss manure. The reason was the Southern states became sick and tired enough of an ever growing and more oppressing central federal government that they were willing to remove itself from what was out of control then....

and moreso now.

In case you doubt the slavery thing, read the proclamation. It only abolished slavery in rebel states.

Amazing how such facts are still overlooked in most education curriculum.

Federal helmet law? What's next?

Profiling checkpoints? Traffic stops of people not even driving? Hitler Jr?

Oh, my bad, we're already there and far beyond.

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Here you can carry concealed or unconcealed..... but the fiberglass and molding industry has made complete fools of the would be weekend scooter tramp politicians who for years (I stopped paying ABATE dues over 20 years ago) partied big everytime funds were raised also sending masses there to lose the same battle instead of simply saved up and buying the votes like industry did.

Ten years of saving could have bought that vote many times.

However.... in trade for lowering the motorcycle BAC to 0.08.... we got the legal right to proceed thru red lights after stopping to save our aircooled engines AND t-ball type helmets are legal as long as they have that sticker inside that says, 'not for vehicle speeds over 5mph'

Yep.

No time to break this all down how ALL this flies in the face of the pretense of being in the intetest of safety...

none of it is....

it's merely about money and further cultivating a very overly oppressive and intrusive huge government.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Yo Tony, in the USA transportation law is one of the so-called 'reserved powers' not expressly given to the federal government in the constitution. As a result, any law related to transportation/motor vehicles/etc is up to individual states to decide. Thus there is overall more or less consistency, along with some gaping disparities.

End lesson.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
quote:In Illinois I've never had to wear a helmet from the day i got motorcycle license at age 16.
But I can't get a concealed carry permit. What the Hell?
And your point is what exactly? That in Illinois you are allowed to ride a M/c without a helmet and risk your own life, but are not able to legally carry a gun that could endanger someone else's life?

I don't follow where the argument was taking us?

And for Hack - how does this translate to more and larger government exactly? If road laws are administered at a local level, then the revenue if any goes to that town or city or whatever that the police are in when you get a ticket. Zero Federal involvement after the legislation is passed.

And if the Feds can introduce a law mandating seat belt usage, they can also introduce one about helmets. Not saying they should, but they could.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
First off... 4,400 deaths out of a population of over 350 million is statistically insignificant. Secondly, I see no reference in that article to any studies pointing to helmet wear decreasing motorcycle fatalities (I personally belive it does, but that has no bearing on this issue).
Next... comparing motorcycle deaths to "all aviation, rail, marine and pipeline accidents combined."? Really? How many of you commute every day on your pipeline, in rush hour traffic, or take your personal railroad to work? Pipeline deaths? Really? Aviation (general avaition excepted - but how many of you commute in your personal airplane?) & rail travel are both highly regulated because they are primarily mass transportation modes... trains & planes carry hundreds of passengers, and are operated commercially. Therefore both means of travel are subject to stringent safety measures. What's missing from this item is a statistical comparison between auto deaths & motorcycle deaths. While motorcycle deaths may have risen while auto deaths have declined, I'm inclined to guess that auto deaths still make up a much more significan proportion of traffic fatalities than motorcycles deaths.
I can think of a whole bunch of reasons for the increase in motorcycle deaths, helmet use notwithstanding... dramatic increase in motorcycle sales over the past 15yrs, due to increased acceptance of motocycles by the general public, perhaps? Targeting motorcyclists to increase the safety numbers (remember, NTSB is charged with improving transposrtation safety, and have to show their effectiveness to maintain their funding) is easy, since the general public probably considers motorcycles to be inherently less safe than automoblies - not gonna get much popular resistance to increased safety measures for an activity that's already considered dangerous to begin with. MI already has a mandatory helmet law anyway, so I remain unaffected.

I'm just bothered by the stupid nature of the statistical comparison to make the point. Reminds me of a favorite quote, "There are 3 kinds of lies: Lies, damn lies, and statistics"... or another from Homer Simpson: "You can use ststistics to prove anything that's even remotely true."

·
Registered
204 Posts
no argument really.
Illinois one of two states that has no helmet restrictions,so those who want can
Illinois also one of two states that has no provisions for carrying a concealed weapon, so those who want can't
just sayin

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Grant, more laws means larger goverment and more reasons for the law to have you en$nared.

State or federal, logical or illogical as pertains to their laws, matters not.

I'm not going to rattle on and on about how so many of these laws certainly are not to protect and serve the citizens, you certainly know many certanly have no other purpose than to assure those enslaved by them feed and grow the machine.

·
Registered
23,294 Posts
quote:Originally posted by burntblacktoast

no argument really.
Illinois one of two states that has no helmet restrictions,so those who want can
Illinois also one of two states that has no provisions for carrying a concealed weapon, so those who want can't
just sayin
next time take the helmet off before putting the gun to your head - works better.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
4,400 deaths is pretty significant considering we are in multi trillion dollar wars for ~3,000 deaths, or that 40,000 die annually in traffic.

I don't feel too strongly about the helmet law but do think that the "non helmers" should understand that they do put a cost on everyone. I pay it in my insurance and taxes. Where is my freedom of cheaper insurance that doesn't have to pay for people's brain injuries from 30mph crashes?

Where is my freedom of riding on the side of the street I want? At the speed I want?

I get the personal freedom issues - but just don't see this topic to be such a big example. We have lost much bigger freedoms already without anyone caring too much. All our information (well 98%) comes from outlets owned by few huge corporations. etc. etc.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts