To ban or not to ban?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
I didn't read the whole tread, and might not.

I am VERY against banning anyone for any real reason.
It is a slippery slope and ruins a forum.

While there was some friction at first when we were taken over by the corporate overloads that seems to have been unfounded. We have changed little ans all kept doing our thing. Personally I don't give a single shit if this place makes someone a dollar or not. We were doing this before we where looked at like an investment, and will be after. I get there has to be a way to keep the lights one and all. Yeah it's work to weed out the spam bots ans such too. I'm also sure more people get butt hurt here and run to mommy.

I just don't see what banning people will do for the dollar bottom line.

If the money is of less or no concern then again, what does the ban help with?

maybe instead of relying on people finding us by googling "cafe forum" we could do something more focused to find the right people to be here?
maybe all the right people are already here?

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
Half of G_T's stories and comments would be viewed in much the same way as mine, If he hasn't been on this site for so long, and given a bit of a bio on his motor shenanigans. That may bolster what he says, but that doesn't affect my validity, in the slightest.

As far as I see it, so many of diverse threads would have gone nowhere fast without my learned input. So many old hands make one post, walk and walk away because noobs ain't taking in anything they say.

Danger, is my business.

Many of us know geeto personally.
biught and sold bikes.
traveled, raced, picked swap meets, rode, and built with each other.

to be fair you have not given us much to work with.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I don't come here for the bike info anymore, I come here for the reality TV style crap, in fact I dont even really expect to see any bike stuff posted anymore.
I think the core of competency is still here, it's just getting shovelfuls of effluent tossed on top of it. I don't think I'd get the same amount of quality feedback on my (infrequent) build posts elsewhere. But yes, the drama level is definitely excessive lately. Kinda feels like this...

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
I'm sad that some senior and good members are leaving. That is a great loss to the site.

but I stand by no banning.
would be more positive to ban every hipster that posts a CX500 with a skateboard seat!

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I think the core of competency is still here, it's just getting shovelfuls of effluent tossed on top of it. I don't think I'd get the same amount of quality feedback on my (infrequent) build posts elsewhere. But yes, the drama level is definitely excessive lately. Kinda feels like this...

THAT is gold.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just banned myself. It's been nice, cya
LOL. You were one of the jerks that were riding my ass when I first showed up and now you are leaving because you don't like the way someone else has stormed in and made the regular trolls look like complete and utter amateurs. BYE!!! Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

I don't like the way this place is run in general and have said so in the past. But if you are going to let the hazing go on, and be a major participant, you can't get your panties in a wad when someone who has more time and focus than yourself joins up and aspires to be the post king. Like Geeto said, it's obvious the guy is real and has some knowledge about bikes. The only real question is do you want to be a giant pussy and have the guy banned because you can't handle the level of heat that he brings? If so, change the rules and then give people a period to conform. Otherwise, suck it up and deal with the somewhat lawless environment here or take your comments and go home to mommy.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I don't know of anyone else who has derailed such a high percentage of threads with such obviously deliberate piss-taking. If somebody said the sky was blue, he'd say it was originally green and he was the one who suggested that it should be blue. But he has no proof because he does not believe in taking pictures of God. His utterly fantastic claims are so clearly exaggerated (at best) that it's borderline offensive that he would actually expect other people to believe them.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If anything, Whitworth W. Tool has been causing me to visit more often, just waiting for the trainwreck.

I find that I sometimes have to remember this that my father taught me long ago; "never argue with an idiot"...

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
So obviously I voted not to ban, the guy doesn't bother me.

There are some things wrong here, none of them created by Witworth. His presence may act as a mirror or a magnifying glass, but he didn't create what goes on.

Not much with any content gets traction here. It's the same old pods and clubmans bullshit. The other day when Monkey posted pics of his race bikes it was like a novel idea, or Desmocat's first project. There are some OG members of this place that do some really fantastic stuff. You'd never know it by what gets posted. Some of the loudest voices here are the least technically capable, and that didn't just start recently.

Anyhow lately I've been feeling like a party guest that's stayed waaay too long here. Think I'll take a break. Not mad, just over it.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
At times I'm amazed at the knowledge and help that's provided by members of this site. Other times i'm amazed by the assholes to include witworth (aka danger game).
ed

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
: You were one of the jerks that were riding my ass when I first showed up and now you are leaving because you don't like the way someone else has stormed in and made the regular trolls look like complete and utter amateurs. BYE!!! Don't let the door hit you in the ass. But if you are going to let the hazing go on, and be a major participant, you can't get your panties in a wad when someone who has more time and focus than yourself joins up and aspires to be the post king. N.B. edited somewhat.
I didn't know that little gem of forum history.

It's funny how someone who thinks they are troll supremo, finally gets pantiewhacked by someone more vastly more intelligent, focused, witty and cutting, who is not interested in the least in trolling. At all. That's deeply ironic when you think about it.

I'm not trying to be "post King" , that's far from my mind. But if their were more lively and interesting threads to post to, I've probably post fifty times a day.

It's very strange that the people who regularly insult me on this forum, with dullard five word quips, rarely post anything of value, technical advice or even entertaining stuff. I can't even think of anything those stooges have posted.

The question has got to be asked, to the people who think my posts are just full of total BS, why on Earth have you read them? and why have you responded? It's like you have shot your own foot in your mouth, like a few times daily.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Says the guy who has trolled me for ages, like a little dog following a truck full of cow guts. :rolleyes:

arf, arf.

Danger, is my business.
Actually, I was just calling you out on all the bullshit you sprout. I was never left without any material.

I'm getting kinda tired of it now though.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It's funny how someone who thinks they are troll supremo, finally gets pantiewhacked by someone more vastly more intelligent, focused, witty and cutting, who is not interested in the least in trolling. At all. That's deeply ironic when you think about it.

I'm not trying to be "post King" , that's far from my mind. But if their were more lively and interesting threads to post to, I've probably post fifty times a day.
Don't misunderstand me. I don't like what you do or condone it. You are an attention seeking whore just like the other keyboard warriors who talk a good game but won't show any of their work. You are actually more of a pain in the ass because you obviously have chosen this place to spend most of your time looking for attention online. Not trying to be post king? LMAO

I wished they would change the rules and make it harder for knuckleheads to hijack threads with meaningless, self aggrandizing nonsense. But until they do, you are one of the best at investing your time into such activities. FWIW I don't think you have posted one thing that backs up a position you have claimed. You simply redirect and add many more questions or make even more claims. No pictures of your work either so don't take my last statement as a compliment. I was using you as an example of why this place is failing.

YOU ARE A TROLL. Just accept it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The question has got to be asked, to the people who think my posts are just full of total BS, why on Earth have you read them? and why have you responded? It's like you have shot your own foot in your mouth, like a few times daily.
That's like asking why anyone would get pissed at the kid who is in his third hour of crying on a 9hr flight, or why you would slow down to yell at someone playing on a busy highway. You obviously like the attention you get, even though most of it is negative, kinda like an abused housewife. It's sad really. But if it makes you feel happier and doesn't break the forum rules, so be it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You obviously like the attention you get, even though most of it is negative, kinda like an abused housewife

Errrrr.. no? What sort of misogynistic bullshit comment is that?

My view on the whole thing is that the majority of the comments he posts are unhelpful and that yes he certainly seems to enjoy the attention and yes he comes across as a bit of a wanker. At the end of the day though there are a lot of wankers in the world (and a lot of them seem to manifest on internet forums) but I tend to just ignore them and get on with my day.

If ti's having a palpable negative impact on your 'business' ie the monetary side of this forum, then you have the power and the right to ban him.. this isn't after all a democracy. But for me personally, I just don't read his posts.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.