To ban or not to ban?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Errrrr.. no? What sort of misogynistic bullshit comment is that?
Would you have preferred that I said gay lover? LOL Chill out dude. Shop talk gets a little raw at times so leave that egalitarian bullshit at the knitting club. If anyone thinks that women need more influence in society, it's me. I just don't hesitate in pointing out their weaknesses in hopes they will use it to empower themselves even more.

Ladies!!! If you are in an abusive relationship, HE DOESN'T LOVE YOU AND WON'T STOP TREATING YOU LIKE SHIT UNTIL YOU LEAVE! Even if the make up sex is stellar and he says he won't do it again, LEAVE.

Is that better or still too honest?

·
Registered
405 Posts
not for banning unless called for...warnings or site time outs can be issued first by the Mods..
an example of a thread needing attention and will loose readers ...

A long time member here Dean has a Thread called 'What to do with my RD400"..
Look what has been done to its last two to three pages..
thou Not by just one individule but there is one constant contributor to its downfall.
Its now mostly crap being posted ruining the thread as it runs along...crap even to the degree of actually stateing the sabotage was being done to ruin the continuity of the thread..

Now a Moderator needs to go into the thead and weed all the bullshit to restore it to its original intent..is this not what a moderator needs to spend hours doing nor what we want to see .... ban only as a last resort..

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
An alternative to banning is, as Tonystark alluded, to do what they do over at ADVrider and prune all the OT crap out of threads on a consistant basis. There are a lot of "Crap Pruned From..." threads over there where a flamewar or trolling can continue apace, while all the sane people get their original threads back. And if someone can take himself off troll-o-matic setting long enough to contribute something worthwhile, it stays.

That's just a hell of a lot of work for moderators here of late, because it's all OT crap, and that includes most of my posts.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Alright well good. This thread has given me exactly what I wanted out of it.

I agree that serious threads need to stay on track, and I'll do my job as a moderator to start making that happen. If anyone makes that particularly difficult for me, I'll do what I have to do. The bullshit threads can go where they go.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
not for banning unless called for...warnings or site time outs can be issued first by the Mods..
an example of a thread needing attention and will loose readers ...

A long time member here Dean has a Thread called 'What to do with my RD400"..
Look what has been done to its last two to three pages..
thou Not by just one individule but there is one constant contributor to its downfall.
Its now mostly crap being posted ruining the thread as it runs along...crap even to the degree of actually stateing the sabotage was being done to ruin the continuity of the thread..

Now a Moderator needs to go into the thead and weed all the bullshit to restore it to its original intent..is this not what a moderator needs to spend hours doing nor what we want to see .... ban only as a last resort..
yea, too bad all of that work and 2+ years of updates to that build thread ended with chatbot vomit, however the fact is, it's not just that thread. It's this entire website.

I won't be around here much anyway......

Having owned and worked on bikes for 40+ years, I originally liked the idea of using the internet to share knowledge and information. I understand there are idiots, assholes and troll posts to sort through on any forum, however I have had enough of this place.

Like many of the contributing long time members that have left, I too bid you all farewell.... as I am banning myself :)

·
Registered
10,456 Posts
I don't get the "I'm calling out a troll" group.
calling them out to who?

anyone that matters can read a post and figure out what is what.
wouldnt follow so,we crazy guy around NYC making sure everyone within 50 foot knew they were crazy...

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I'm not sure if banning someone will have much impact as I believe they could turn around and re-sign as another user under a different IP. Since my time on this site I've read some very good tips, some real funny and some a little over the top packed with drama - Oh BTW - I hate the drama. I've also seen some green horns kicked in the face for a mis-laid commit or some dumb question. My take is if we were all master mechanics then there would be no reason for this site. There are some folks on this site that I cannot wait to read their advice or information about their project build and there are other folks that I just skip on by their postings because it's not worth my time.

Moving on - I'm a firm believer in kicking someone's ass if they get a little out of hand. Certainly I have personally protested some commits in support of postings that were way out of line in my humble opinion. I've also supported commits that had merit. I've had the opportunity to meet some of the members and there are a few that I looking forward to meet at some point in the future.

My recommendation is to just ignore the idiots and read the topics that interest you.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Witworth has never been the subject of a personal or racial insult, by simple fact Witworth has remained totally anonymous since it signed on. -> How can you insult anonymous ?

It hails from a fictiscious place so that it can hurl discriminatory insults in all directions and remain immune to some of the same.
It won't post a single motorcyle photo of it's very own but slams all the credible members photos and efforts, all the while claiming to have built or owned incredible motorcycles that would put all of our real ones to shame.
It says it does not care in the least what we think of it and why should it, it's cowardly anonymous. Then it conveys zero respect towards individuals who have filled their profiles with personal details.
It has no humility and appears incapable of apology even after being completely inappropriate and offensive.

How about an open letter to anonymous posters, outlining acceptable etiquette for posting ?:I
... this one Witworth post alone should provide an example of adaquate grounds for expulsion, in my opinion :mad:
If a British bike was meant to be any colours than Alloy and Black, God would have not made Velocettes and Vincents. They only ever painted bikes British racing green, to make it clear to all the Frogs, Wogs, Krauts and Sprouts, that they were only over there for the weekend, to triumph at the races, and make the people of the lesser nations familiar with the proud colour of envy.

Danger, is my business.
& that in response to somebody posting a personal photo of their really nice motorcycle painted pale green :/

Next time it makes an incognito racist attack on a real person or an entire country like that, don't hesitate, stomp on that sh*t, it's unacceptable in any entertainment forum.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sprout no idea. I've heard wog used by Australians to describe someone typically of Mediterrean descent and Brits to describe someone of middle eastern descent. It's usually used in a derogative way.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Sprout no idea. I've heard wog used by Australians to describe someone typically of Mediterrean descent and Brits to describe someone of middle eastern descent. It's usually used in a derogative way.
They are all extremely derogatory terms and were obviously intended to be taken that way, within the context of Witworth's all too frequent, racist and inflamatory statements.

·
Registered
229 Posts
how about that for a racist attack?
this is what it wrote on my build thread

"Regarding your country, I've met people from all around the world, probably in the hundreds. Parisiennes are arrogant, Austrians are as boring as a flat battery and Israelis are all half-mad or nasty. I'm a great fan of stereotypes. They work for me. They get reinforced everyday."

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
The ignore function works. Let him stay. I don't have to read his negative drivel anymore.
Agreed, but you do have to be diligent with loging-in before scanning posts, and it leaves a demonstrated loose cannon to post absolutely anything behind our collective backs, or assault new readers unchecked, and that sucks!

If the admins can establish some parameters to address the unfortunate issue, I would be good with that and stick around.

:/ Alternatively: we approach Mr.Witworth or whatever his real name and gender is, with a respectfully request to issue a few retractions and or apologies where appropriate and clean up his act.
Then we can all take him back off ignore and the whole world will be ecstatic again :rolleyes:

61 - 80 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.