Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for a nice 17x1.40 rim. i see excel makes one but its for MX and thats way stronger then i need(dont plan on doin any 100+ foot table tops) and stronger to me usealy means heavyer. are there lighter wheels/rims out there?

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I use the Accel rims on our "50" racer. Or an OEM front rim off a CR80 is 17x1.40.
You are not going to find anything much lighter.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
accel is the way to go?

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Your choices are pretty much. Brand new Accel, Used or OEM (CR80), or crappy Chinese alloy rims.

Yeah I'd say Accel is going to be your highest quality, easiest to obtain rim.... not cheap though.

And really...the weight difference between the Accel and the lightest exotic rim you can find would be a couple ounces at most. And bear in mind...although you won't be doing jumps etc... you may run over someone/something at 70mph...so some strenth is still needed.
JohnnyB

PS. Actually some of the 50cc Euro racers might have a source for lighter rims.... they might be 18" though. Lost of 50cc guys in Holland.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where can i get those rims?

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Which rims? The Accel?

Just about any dirt bike parts retailer, or Buchannan spoke and wheel.

Bear in mind the hub you might be using might be different than the hub the rims are meant for if you are buying them in OEM replacement form.
Might have to go with Buchannan's to get them custome drilled for your hub. The angles and such have to be right.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Yeah yeah...I do mean EXCEL.... I'm still stuck in my hot rod days...whenever I see ExCEL I read Accel ( you know, coils and such).

No wonder the dude was confused.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
boy do i feel sheepish...lol

should i go with excel spokes or are there lighter ones out there?

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Jag...Excel if you are sure they will fit.

They have to be the right size for the rim AND the hub.

Buchannan's isn't really into "light" very much.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why cant i just lace them to my hubs?

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
The spokes will of course have to be the right length.

If the rim was intended for some modern dirt bike with a disk brake front end, or a different sized drum or something then the length will be wrong, and the angles in the rim holes will probably be wrong too. If the rim and the spokes are made for your bike..then you are good to go. That's why Buchannan's is in business, they do custom rims and spokes.
JohnnyB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts