Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have this suzuki GS450 and its starting to smoke and shit.. it has tons of miles as it was some dudes commuter..

Being new to this game i dont have the resources to find new motors like some of you do. if this was car shit i would have no trouble and wouldnt sound like a needy bitch. Somone said up to 96 gs500 or 550 motors fit right on and i would be so down for that .. where do i find reliable motors in or around nj/? or am i stuck buying a bike and tearing into it?

love
me

http://www.driftalliance.com

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Hey...consider rebuilding the one you have. The GS450 engine is a tough little SOB that will take a lot of abuse.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought about it...

however my concern is downtime.. i know i know all winter blah blah.. but in winter i always have 7 cars to build and i want to rip come spring. i nee little to no downtime. also what does motorcycle rebuilds priceout at? i dont need the xtra cc's i am just concerned with picking the right motor builders and not having it come back worse.

it seems to me i could do a motor swap in a day where a build will take weeks and i wont know if i am doing it right.

http://www.driftalliance.com

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
go to www.thegsresources.com and ask them there about the gs500/550 swap. Someone over there has to know something.

I hate to say it dude but when it comes to these small bikes it is never worth it to do any engine work unless you do it yourself. Fortunatly you will find you can pretty much pull the motor, rebuild it, and install it in a weekend (not having a cooling system makes the job hella easier).

·
Registered
266 Posts
the gs 500 twin just pops right in, You may have to have some custom exhaust pipes bent up for it. The 550 swap I am not sure about as it is an inline 4 as compares to a twin.

Hey someone pas me the wrench........ Ahh screw it where is the torch

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Geets is right....paying someone to do it would cost half the price of a brand new bike.
Parts/boring would probably cost you about $300. Gaskets, pistons, rings, wrist pins and boring. Ahh hell...once you tore into you'd probably find ten other things that need doing and spend $600.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
yo matt! so you want a very fast, bolt in gs500 motor or a stock gs450 bolt in motor? check out this thread:

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=145250&highlight=GS450

and if you are serious, contact my friend, bob weber who is selling them both. tell him, tex mawby #61 wera sent you.

good luck! ('effin 60 hp is CRAZY!!!!!) i imagine the hooligan street machine you can put together with all that hardware and just shudder to think!

texy

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
upon further inspection, that is bob weber's race 450 motor for sale.....which is incredibly developed and very, very, very fast!

buy them both if you can afford it and start a bike gang.............. or bootleg moonshine and guns on them!

texy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts