Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Very cool Rosko, keep the updates coming. I'm out of states and ichtin to ride, so any race news is good news.

Cheers, Aaron

·
Registered
569 Posts
rosko, you're such a geek, yes keep reports coming, take it easy, it's the first race, tell folks to use caution before risk, don't kill the rest of the season...

d.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
baker got 4 and 5th unga's bike didn't run so well.... We're on our way back to NE tonite

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
THERE ACTUALLY IS A WEB CAM FOR WERA RACES. Mongo has a live cam he broadcasts with. Ill post the url next time or check the wera board for it. Ill post my pics ater this morning.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
sorry for some of the image sizes.

we got into vir round 245 a.m. slept at the gate after leaving baltimore at 930. it was pretty funny. the guy at the gate was ready to go. but it was all my fault. pitched tent around 330, and was up at 615 to stand inline to get in. got registered and got bill sorted for school. (can you say 75 bucks for racing school??!!!) did some practice and got ready to race. 500 gp was our first vintage race of the day. gridded on the front row. got a good start, went for 2nd gear and the shifter spun on the shaft. both entire grids went past. i got it into gear and managed to chase them down and i think probably worked my way to mid pack. finishing 6th in 500. a bit of a disappointment, but still tons and tons of fun.

350 i was gridded on the 2nd row. got a pretty good start running in 2nd behind whatevs into t1. trie the outside to get around him but he was efinitely faster and the better line so i dropped in behind. there was an sr in front of me and behind him and i could not get around the guy. whatevs was pulling away but i though id still take advantage if he botched something. he never did and ran a perfect race. tt got past, and i thought i could hang but he managed to get by in a great pass and then past the sr and i wasnt able to pull the pass off. i checked my shoulder on the front straight and whos about 5 bike lenght behind me? tex. he gets by in t3 and im chasing him for a lap. he gets by the sr also and i cant hang. guess after watching me try for like 3 laps, he know what to do when. a good lesson for me. i took 4th. everyone rode great. rosko is definitely learning to twist it. tt didnt lose anything not racing in a year, and if bucky gets his shit sorted, its going to be big big trouble. thanks for all yer help guys. i wouldnt have made it without the generousity and patience of my friends. it was a really awesome weekend.

name these racers. ok, 2 of them arent us. front row. evil on the outside. then me, then rosko. the green kwaker and the red fairing bike we dont know. then lonewolf on the outside in back, bucky with hte white helmet, and tt brinign up the rear. tex's bike wouldnt go so he dint make the shot. i dont know where whatevs got to. probabaly winning practice too!!!

this is our new guy bill. on his cb350. it had an oil leak (he couldnt figure out why it was so squirley in the left handers!!! hes still getting used to riding 40 year old machines i guess, but he ha a blast!) he finished the school and mock race on my bike. kept the tradition alive by wheelying off the start. he actually beat about 4 or 5 modern bikes into t1!!!!! turned some 120's. never ridden gp shift before, and was worried about crashing my bike. watch out guys, hes going to be a force!

it was north vs south. i think the north won, again. heres a shot of the cb350 crew as it looked from the south side. congrats guys, you all deserved the trophies. nice riding on all yer parts. tim, you need a smaller brake.

i know im forgetting a ton of shit. buck awesome tooling around the pits was hilarious. aaron brown asking me if it was a guy or girl, to which i replied "thats tex" was one of the funniest things all weekend. ive never seen a aprilia su-mo go that fast through the pits ever.

thanks for everything guys. it was a killer weekend.

jc

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I would have a hard time saying how good it was at VIR so I'll ask the advocates of electronic timing this question first.Please hang with me on this and ask any questions that you want.
Two racers .A and 1 line up on the starting grid.they are side by side. Both have trandsponders on their fork legs. The green flag waves and the race is on.The bikes are very even on the start,if there is any time difference between them at the point they trip the transponder wire it would have been hard to see.Rider 1 ends up in front after turn one and rider A is very close.On the race goes and rider A has a plan for a pass, starts to put it in motion,things go wrong and rider A is off track. Coming back on track rider A finds himself about 6 sec. behind rider 1.The charge is on rider A catches up rider 1 battles a little bit ,rider A makes the pass and proceeds on to make a sizeable lead. When rider A looks back after taking the checkers he does not even see rider 1. Mission accomplished good race ,good chase,fun dice,got the position,satisfaction. Time to check the results sheets to see where things shook down to and find that on accumulated lap times rider 1 has .04 sec,less time on the clock than rider A.That should have put the two riders about a half bike apart.Not so. The question is if the two riders trip the start at the same time,race and have a very clear winner at the flag how is it that the rider that came in behind beat the rider that came in ahead? And with a shorter accumulated time. I don't have the seperate times on each lap and I don't know if they are even stored anywhere. Rider 1 agrees that rider A came across the finish line first. Timing says that there is no way that there could be a timing error with the way that the system works. The results can not be changed.
The weekend at VIR was more enjoyable than I could have hoped for. The butterflies and excitement of going to a new track and learning a good way around then applying it to a race is just what I needed. This winter seemed long.To have the oppertunity to be at a premier track and be given 4 full sessions one day,for you and five other racers that you know and trust, 2 sessions the next day and 3 races. I didn't know that a poor boy could have something like this happen.The track is so fun,you aren't going to learn this thing the first time around,figuring out different sets of curves and turns piecing them together ,picking up speed and getting smoother what a blast.The track is so open and there is oppertunity to set up a rythem.If you know my riding style you know that I am more of a sit up and beg style rider.With this track its put your belly down on the tank for the straights and hang your ass off in the turns.I didn't know what to expect for results at this outting and I do wish that I had done better but to get together with people of common interest that seem to be getting better friends all the time is something money can't buy and I feel pretty lucky about that.
With that said,and now it's time to go back to work,I can comfortibly say..........SUMMIT BITCHES !!!!!!!!.........
AAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
also, unga, great to see you out there. sorry bout the probs with the tz, but its such a cool bike to see run. really glad you made it. hope you had a good time despite the problems. cool havin ya there.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
hey, lonewolf, if you send me that plate, ill machine it down for you. and slot it. i should have grabbed it from you at the track. how dumb am i?

im sure it will work fine the way it is, but ive just never been a fan of buffs plates. the one he sold ghettoracer was even more bizzarre. you can run it in oil, alot of people do, so dont worry about what i was saying about the seal and shit. (obviously mine runs in oil!!!)

or drop chris m a note.

[email protected]
or bucky

[email protected]

glad you had a good time. ive been posting the transponder timing thing over on the wera board. im sure if you and bucky both file a protest, it will get straightened out. id send an email to mongo. if you actually write him something, it works.

glad you made it down. i think youre going to love summit.

we'll get you sorted with something cool.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
VIR was great! hats off to aron and tt for showing all what a fast lap looked like. i managed to squeak out two thirds. having a slight carb/jetting prob with the new THR pipes, but it will be figured out for summit. also thanks to rosko for fixing my bike shortly after it was unloaded. all in all it was great fun. buck awesome showed up, went out for more beer, and never came back. if any of you see him riding around on a red schwinn bantam tell him to call as casey wants her bike back.

unga, evil, and wolf.....thanks for making the trek! wolf, that maine beer is pretty tasty stuff! i have to work today, but will be knocking a few back later, cause it's my birthday bitches!

joe, bucky, bill......thanks for the cake and smokes!

epic weekend for all!

texy

p.s. - aron and andrew broke down in virginia somewhere on the way back (radiator?) and are still stuck there. talk about bad luck, break down leaving for the track and again returning from the track. aron was probably trying to win a return time record!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts