Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a chance to pick up a 74 with parts bike (both run i'm told). i don't know shit about those 2 strokes, except i know i want one. the one is complete as far as i can tell. needs the normal new tires, chain, i assume carbs need cleaning.
so should 2 strokes feel like a four when you kick 'em? to gauge compression i mean. or should it fell easier?
any common problems with this bike?

'72 cb750
'76 cb550

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
there are NO pistons or rings available for these bikes so make sure that top end is in good shape. Crank seals also go bad (heavy smoke out of the pipe closest to the seal) and require a crank rebuild (not hard). make sure the cylinder is not full of fluid when you kick it or you can hydrolock the motor and bend a rod (not to mention tear your acl).

2 strokes usually are a little easier to kick but it all depends on the kick starter shaft (e.g. my t500 kicks harder than my cb750) and the size of the lever.

the 400 is one of the best triples ever made - as fast as the 500 and handles better. There are guys who put 500 and 750 motors in them if you really want to scare yourself.

here is the resource page for some interesting reading:
http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/

dont forget about here:
http://kawasakitriplesworldwide.com/phpBB2/index.php

Edited by - geeto67 on Jul 30 2007 6:55:23 PM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
well if the bike runs it will blow heavy heavy smoke out of the pipe that is closest to the bad seal (I'm talking like a bondfire amount of smoke).

You can do a leakdown test also but it requires you to take the carbs and exhaust off the bike and pressurize the cylinders to 5 psi with a bicycle pump.

another way you can check is to see if it is sumping gearcase oil.

if the bike is cheap enough just go for it, a crank seal is not a deal breaker and I saw plenty of s3's at mid-O selling for over $2K.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
well if the bike runs it will blow heavy heavy smoke out of the pipe that is closest to the bad seal (I'm talking like a bondfire amount of smoke).

You can do a leakdown test also but it requires you to take the carbs and exhaust off the bike and pressurize the cylinders to 5 psi with a bicycle pump.

another way you can check is to see if it is sumping gearcase oil.

if the bike is cheap enough just go for it, a crank seal is not a deal breaker and I saw plenty of s3's at mid-O selling for over $2K.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts